New York-Hudson Valley

Resizing my rings..again.

Hi ladies,

I'm not sure what I should do. After I lost a signifigant amount of weiht before the wedding, I had them resized in May. It's only been 7 months and they need to be resized again. It's to the point where there is no struggle taking it off my finger. Ringgaurds don't work for me so that idea is out. Should I wait it out or take it to get redone before I lose it?

Re: Resizing my rings..again.

• edited December 2011
    I would resize it before you lose it by accident. With it being winter, that can happen easily due to gloves.
    Part of That World Blog
    my read shelf:Jennifer (JSweetieXO) Cepero's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Can't a ring only be resized so many times? If that is the case, I would wait. If I'm totally dreaming that then I would have them resized now.
    imageimageimage
  • MidgetteMidgette member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would wait!
    Just have them put a ring guard on it for now, or one of those balls if there is room,
    I know u will be losing alot more weight and u dont want to keep cutting them!
    <3

• edited December 2011
    Ditto to Midgette's post!
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats on the (even more) weight loss!

Ditto everyone else's posts!

Also, remember that with the cold, your hands shrink a little bit. You don't want to get the ring sized to your winter hands and not have it fit in summer.

Wait a while more before getting it resized again. Also, ask what your jeweler thinks - how many times max do they suggest you getting it sized. It may only be twice! (And if they say three times is ok, then still wait until the weather heats up)
  • sdomi639sdomi639 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm thinking about resizing also...it feels so loose.  Dumb question but taking out all that gold make it depreciate in value?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_resizing-ringsagain?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:a9e13e95-374a-4f86-85c5-aebd76b2e6e2Post:fa6f7acf-b858-4050-b1e0-83402dca6fc0">Re: Resizing my rings..again.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm thinking about resizing also...it feels so loose.  Dumb question but taking out all that gold make it depreciate in value?
    Posted by sdomi639[/QUOTE]

From what I understand,

if you are referring to the gold buyers (like if you were to sell your ring) they will weigh your gold and give you an amount they will pay you for it. If you need your ring sized to a smaller size, your band will be made smaller and there will be slightly less gold in the band, so it will weigh less, and if you sell it, will probably get a little less because it's determined by weight.

However, your ring appraisal amount is usually based on the diamond.So that shouldn't change.
  • BellaSposa223BellaSposa223 member
    edited December 2011
    Thank....I've googled the answer to the metal breaking down and I've found both answers of that it should only be 3 times max and if the ring is real, there should be no breakdown problems. Guess I have to bring it to the mall this weekend and find out the real answer.
  • ssagessage member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_resizing-ringsagain?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:a9e13e95-374a-4f86-85c5-aebd76b2e6e2Post:d30c275a-3808-448a-8069-ac42fbd67641">Re: Resizing my rings..again.</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Can't a ring only be resized so many times?</strong> If that is the case, I would wait. If I'm totally dreaming that then I would have them resized now.
    Posted by kristinanddan[/QUOTE]

YES!  Our jeweler told me this as my ring was slightly large prior to the wedding but it ended up working out ok.  and now i, unlike jaimie, am at the flip side of the situation...both my rings STILL do not fit after giving birth but i am afraid to have them sized bigger for when i do lose the weight, they may not be able to get sized again...so i go without both of them and it makes me sad
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with those who said to wait.  My jewler had me wear a ring guard on mine until I went through all the seasons and could come up with a comfortable fit.  Mine is still really loose in the winter  but not to the point where it would fall off. Plus, it isn't too tight in the summer which would drive me crazy.
  • MYLOVE315MYLOVE315 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would wait Jaimie. You know your going to lose more weight. My ring has been swimming around my finger but its true the winter will do that.

I say once you get to your goal then have at it girl. Until then see what they can do in terms of a ring guard.  That's what I would do.

Woop Woop good for you on the weight loss! You go girl!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • probablykateprobablykate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can I ask why a ring guard won't work?  There are a bunch of different kinds so I would think you could find one that would work.  My engagement ring is way too big right now, but for the time being I just have a little metal piece across the bottom that keeps it nice and snug.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards