Gothic Weddings

"Normal" Music for Guests?

So my fiance and I are really into electronic music. (VNV Nation, Apoptygma Berzerk, etc) The problem is that out of everyone that will be at the wedding (with a few exceptions) we are the only ones that really like that sort of music. How can I have a nice balence of music that we like and music that will make our guests feel more comfortable?

Re: "Normal" Music for Guests?

• The same thing is happening with me, the music that we would love to have played at our wedding would definitely not be appropriate for most of our families. We like a lot of screamo-ish bands and the band that is playing at our wedding has screaming in it, but the grooms the one screaming so people can just suck it up for those parts haha (Don't worry it's not a metal band, it's actually a really poppy band and tehy're so fun to dance to). But for the dances I'm thinking about trying to start off with some old rock music such as; Bon Jovi, Journey, and Def Leppard to name a few off the top of my head. You know, music that everyone knows and loves instead of having extreme oldies and lame dance songs like the hokie pokie. I think it'll create more fun dancing than other music choices would. I think it's a happy medium for everyone, and then we'll slowly merge into our favorite music, starting with songs that are suitable for everyone's ears and then when the guests weed out and only our close friends and family are there we can play the music that we absolutely love. 
  • Ooh, and I just noticed we're from the same area! Neat!
  • I guess we all have great taste in Wisconsin! haha
  • I think there are ways to mix in music that won't be so abrasive. There are definitely some VNV and Apoptygma songs that are pretty poppy and won't wig people out. Combichrist during dinner would be to much for anyone.  I was just thinking the other day how cool it would be to have Wolfsheim's The Sparrows and Nightengales during the dance set, since they played that at the clubs a LOT when my FI and I were first dating. So I have the exact same delimma as you.  If you're going to have an engagement party, that is a great time to test some music out. 

The way I'm planning to do it it to have some less danceable goth faves played during coktail hour with other festive songs( festive to me and the groom, this being a relative term). Some more familiar stuff that is low key during dinner. We are both of Cuban descent, so we'll be playing salsa and other fam freindly music and more mainstrean stuff while it is still early. One it starts to get  a little later were going to work in some of our favorites.

Two things I've learned is that 1) people are inclined to dance to what they know 2) they're more inclined to keep dancing if there are other poeple on the floor. So just mix it up thoughfully.  You can do it, it will take some planning, but it is definetly do-able. Have fun!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards