Texas-Austin

Contracts

I was in another board, and it seems that contracts with Vendors have been causing undue stress. I wanted to offer this advice to those still looking for vendors.

Contracts are so important. They protect not only your big day but also the venues equipment. Ladies be sure to really go over that contract-- and don't be afraid to ask them to put something on there that you are not certain about.

Many DJ's will not put a name of who is to show up that day-- and then you get a different DJ on your wedding. Be detail attentive and be aggressive in getting everything you want added. Contracts are never a one way street.

Have you had any problems with contracts or concerns? Let's talk about it!

Re: Contracts

• sheadaysheaday member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're meeting with Chaplain Larry Todd this wkend and according to the email he sent me, I *think* he doesn't do contracts....I need to verify that. But for some reason I'm not worried about it....I guess I feel I can trust a man of faith! Can some other knotties chime in if they've used him?

When interviewing caterers we met with Uncle Billy's BBQ and they don't do contracts or deposits and just "pencil" you in for the date. I could live if the flowers or cake didn't show up but NOT the caterer! Other than that, everyone else I've met with has had very professional and good contracts to use.
  • edited December 2011
    Sheaday- you are correct, Chaplain Larry doesn't do contracts. I was referred to him by a friend who used him and said he was fantastic. Within the first 15 minutes of our consultation with him, I really felt comfortable with him and didn't press on the no contracts issue.

I've been looking for a place to do the grooms cake and one vendor I spoke to wouldn't do a contract or 'pencil us in' until 3 weeks before the wedding. I'm much too type A for that!

We're using Nothing Bundt Cakes for the wedding cake and they don't do contracts either, but since they make the bundt cakes everyday and we aren't requesting anything unusual, I am fine with just placing my order the month before the wedding.

Other than that, we haven't had to ask for anyone to do a contract, they've all already had them (or have taken an order which we received a copy of). Seems like a pretty standard thing for most of the vendors who are involved in the wedding business.
  • edited December 2011
    Ugh. Contracts. I was going to rent a house on Lake Travis - Waterstone Lodge - and got nothing but a run-around on their contract. After about eight months of negotiations (seriously.) so that I could have 35 people (they don't normally do weddings,) they sent me the "final" contract - which then included a clause that if I had a party or over 14 people at the house, they'd be able to keep a five thousand dollar deposit, PLUS the 3700$ weekend rental. Pissed me off so bad I still haven't managed to calmly and rationally email them back. It's a beautiful house, but so not worth the grief the property manager gave me. No joke, I cried (and I am not a crier) for about four hours straight after I was alerted to that clause.

I did, however, manage to find a great new venue, and I'm REALLY glad I had my law-school friend read the contract over for me before I sent cheques.
  • HalahhHalahh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    WE asked the caterer we originally chose ROYAL FIG- to change their contract because it said that they could cance at ANY TIME for ANY REASON with no penalty unless it was within 30 days of our wedding in which case they would only have to pay us $500. ANd we could not cancel for any reason even if there was an "ACT OF GOD" The evil wicked witch owner Kristin Stacey was such an evil evil wench about it and said we should just trust that she wouldn't do that, but then, Dan her husband said they would change it. Anyway, we went with them and everything was agreed on but they sold our date out from under us and wouldn't take our deposit. We had to fly back out to Austin from San Francisco to do another round of tasings. These vendors act so offended when you bring up the contract, but they suck and they will rob you. Everyone is hurting and you are not a repeat customer so they will promise you the world and deliver garbage on the day of your wedding. The planners won't stand up to them because they need business too. Everyone is corrupt.
  • HalahhHalahh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    SHE A DAY- Stop trolling me. I had a limited number of vendors I could choose from at my venue on my budget and this was the only vendor who LG was going to make an exception for. BACK OFF and go troll someone else. you're being really obvious here. Lots of people post bad reviews. It's important in a contracts discussion to know about these kinds of clauses in contracts. You're harrassing me and this feels very personal as you follow me around the board.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards