Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Beauty regiment: facials and peels

I called the place that I get my skin care products to schedule a facial or two before the wedding. After talking with the woman on the phone, she recommended getting a facial peel for my skin type.

I have no idea what to expect, minus the fact that if I choose to get a peel, that I need to do it at least 3 weeks before the wedding because of redness etc. Has anyone had a positive experience with a peel? The type they recommended was PCA peel. Thanks!

Re: Beauty regiment: facials and peels

• I had a peel done 3 weeks before my wedding, and unfortunately I don't remember what kind, but I requested the mildest kind she could do.
    My face did completely peel off the following 3 days, and it was VERY embarassing to be out in public. However, it made my face look so great, and I'm very glad I did it.
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I have glycolic peels regularly and I love them.  I had one 2 months before my wedding.  I was going to have another one 2 weeks before, but felt I didn't need it.

The first time I had one, I had a certain area near my nose that flaked quite a bit for about a month and I had to use a very heavy moisturizer.  Other than that, I have never experienced a problem and my skin looks great for months.

I am a little pink the day of my peel but any redness is gone by the next morning.  I do not wear makeup the day of my peel, nor is it advised that you be out in the sun for at least 24 hours.  Your doctor or estethician should discuss what to expect with you.
  • Stephie did your face not peel at all? My entire top layer came off like I had a really bad sunburn.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_beauty-regiment-facials-and-peels?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:cbd59683-f53b-4629-8e18-396497f38553Post:dcdafd03-de7a-4e7e-91e2-0e329f61ad73">Re: Beauty regiment: facials and peels</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stephie did your face not peel at all? My entire top layer came off like I had a really bad sunburn.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

No, but glycolic peels/AHA peels are the lightest you can get.  It depends on the type of acid used, which is why I told the OP to discuss it with her estethician.  As you go up in strength and type of acid used, the results will be different.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_beauty-regiment-facials-and-peels?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:cbd59683-f53b-4629-8e18-396497f38553Post:c5d2d90f-f3bc-41ec-8cb8-f9b9c59359bb">Re: Beauty regiment: facials and peels</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beauty regiment: facials and peels : No, but glycolic peels/AHA peels are the lightest you can get.  It depends on the type of acid used, which is why I told the OP to discuss it with her estethician.  As you go up in strength and type of acid used, the results will be different.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

Hm, interesting. I asked for the mildest type from my girl...
    Oh, well, it was still very much healed in time for the wedding and I loved the results.
    Moral of the story... discuss with your estethician.
  • jtolyjtoly member
    First Comment
    Sorry to jump in.....Are their any peels that get rid of old acne marks?
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • I had glycolic peels with a little something else mixed in before my wedding.  I had three peels in all.  It reduced some of the redness, tightened my pores and made a few old acne scars on my cheek less noticeable.  It was a great decision.  I also never really peeled- I had a little bit of redness the day of and then some flaking.
  • lgoin1lgoin1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    If you ladies don't mind me asking, what is the average cost of one?  I've been on the fence about them, and have seen the price range go from WOW that's it?  to HOLY MOLY I CAN'T AFFORD THAT!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_beauty-regiment-facials-and-peels?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:cbd59683-f53b-4629-8e18-396497f38553Post:482d55a8-6c7c-48d9-80c0-db26854161fe">Re: Beauty regiment: facials and peels</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you ladies don't mind me asking, what is the average cost of one?  I've been on the fence about them, and have seen the price range go from WOW that's it?  to HOLY MOLY I CAN'T AFFORD THAT!
    Posted by lgoin[/QUOTE]

Mine are $50 before tip.
  • mcda04mcda04 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment

I have incredibly dry skin and some scars so my SO gave me a gift certificate to have some facial treatments performed. It consisted of one facial, microdermabration, and a chemical peel. The microdermabration helped with my uneven skin tones since it removed a lot of my dry dead skin. I got a pumpkin peel since i had dry skin and scars, MIL got a Eucalyptus or something for wrinkles. It was in December so there wasn't much exposure to direct sunlight so i think it helped, i only had slight redness for the rest of the day and within a few days, our skin looked radiant. I was completely satisfied.

• If you need to fix any kind of scars or have skin issues, want to tighten or firm... or perhaps are thinking of going for a peel - lathough I feel like a walking bilboard I seriously mean it... Nerium works! You WILL see improvements immediately (like 5-7 days) but I would recommend to give it at least 90 days to see the full effects. I feel kind of awkward putting it out there on The Knot but if there is oe thing I know from my wedding... it is THE most important day of our lives and good skin is critical when capturing it all on film. Anyway, hope it helps at least one person have the kind of transformative experiences I have seen with so many others. www.DreamWeaver.Nerium.com.    
  • I'm guessing the estheticians recommended a TCA peel which is supposed to be awesome but, yeah, there's like a week of "downtime", which involves your topmost layer if skin frosting off if it's a fairly high %. It's scary but it's incredibly effective for improving your skin texture and fading scars faster than milder peels. I'm thinking of getting this professionally done for pitted acne scarring. Glycolic and lactic acid peels, on the other hand, are mild and can be done every week with zero or very little downtime. Their impact is a lot more subtle than TCA and won't get rid of pitted scarring like TCA. I do a peel every week and use a Clarisonic face brush almost everyday to keep acne at bay and to keep my skin glowy and soft. Before. I used to get breakouts all the time. even on better days, I'd always have one pimple or a dark coloring from an old pimple. I actually ran out of my at-home peel for a while and I started getting acne again. It stopped once I started using a lactic acid peel. You can actually buy these peels, even TCA peels, online (makeupartistschoice.com and amazon) but you should be VERY wary of doing TCA at home. Lactic acids are probably safe to do at home but don't take my word for it. I have done at-home AHA peels and it has been great. I've only just switched to lactic acid bc I heard it is good for sun spots (which I got ironically from using peels and not protecting from the sun well enough) and I really like it so far. Again, though, I won't urge anyone to try it but I thought you'd like to hear my experience and know you CAN buy them online and they come with detailed instructions on safe usage. However, you should do a lot of research and maybe go to a professional first before trying it yourself.
  • I just wanted to add to the PP.  I got a facial in April and the girl there actually recommended lactic acid over glycolic.  I think glycolic might be considered an older technique nowadays, but I still see great results from it.

I got a facial on Saturday and the therapist cleansed my skin with a Clairisonic and it was ah-ma-zing!  My husband could even tell a difference.  So I'm vowing to get one now.

And unlike the PP, I do not recommend doing at-home peels, mainly because I think you see better results with the strength of peels that you can only get in a licensed setting, and it's much safer too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards