Ohio-Northeast
Options

The Tired Rustic Venue Post

Sorry to post another plea for rustic venue suggestions, but I'm getting really frustrated with my search and was hoping someone could help. 

We're open to several venue types. Vineyards, wineries, lodges, and barns - anything with wooden beams or exposed brick is a plus! Requirements:
  • Normal restrooms (no porta potties or restroom trailers)
  • It must be covered (open air facilities like Hoover Hall are fine, but we prefer to avoid gazebos)
  • Accomodates at least 150
  • We must be able to self-cater (therefore, we need access to a kitchen)
  • I'm a budget bride, so cost is a huge factor
  • Local - we live in Akron but are willing to travel within a two-hour radius
Here are places I've already checked out that won't work for me based on what I'm looking for: Benham's Grove, Boyert's Greenhouse & Farm, Brookside Farm, Camp Crowell/Hilaka, Camp Mary Orton, Camp Wise, Conrad Botzum, Crago Farms, Crown Point Ecology Center, Crystal Brook Farm, Hale Farm, Happy Days Lodge, Hoover Hall, Landolls Mohican Castle, Mon Ami Winery, Niederman Family Farm, Quail Hollow Resort, Quailcrest Farm, The Barn at the Backwoods, the Barn at the Meadows, The Mohican Grand Barn, The Orchard House at Mapleside Farms, and Wolcott Orchards. 

New ideas are greatly appreciated!

Re: The Tired Rustic Venue Post

• Options
    Whoa! I know that looks like a mess. I had bullet points, but it keeps posting without them. Sorry!
  • Options
    Try the American Wilderness Campground Event Center in Grafton.  They have a log cabin banquet hall...smells like cedar.  We had the same requirements...self-catered, 150 guests, rustic, BUDGET FRIENDLY.  They've been great.  Warning though, if you're planning on doing the catering yourself, their kitchen is probably smaller than the kitchen in my house...only drawback.
    These pics don't really do it justice, but you get the idea.
    http://www.americanwildernesscampground.com/eventgallery.html

I don't know if they'll give you a special deal or anything, but if you call, tell them you were referred by me...it's worth a shot!

Allison Higgins

• Options
    I'm not sure what you are looking for but the Randolph Fair rents out their buildings and I have been to a few there and they were done nice. They have a kitchen in the kitchen Hall. Also the Summit county fair grounds rents out too.
  • Options
    Hmm, a few more you might check include Daybreak Lavender Farm in Streetsboro, Goodyear Barn in Brunswick, Heritage Barn in Stow, Sarah's Vineyard Winery in Cuyahoga Falls, Thorncreek Winery in Aurora?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-northeast_the-tired-rustic-venue-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:111Discussion:4f3946b0-e186-4b85-b838-862dcf971060Post:038252ef-3631-47d3-b3f1-51a72f031fb0">Re:The Tired Rustic Venue Post</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hmm, a few more you might check include Daybreak Lavender Farm in Streetsboro, Goodyear Barn in Brunswick, Heritage Barn in Stow, Sarah's Vineyard Winery in Cuyahoga Falls, Thorncreek Winery in Aurora?
    Posted by JKohio[/QUOTE]
    The lavendar farm looks gorgeous! I wasn't able to find information on their site, but I'll call them next week. I've already contacted Heritage Barn in Stow & have an appointment to check it out soon. I'm confused about Sarah's Vineyard - on their website it says they don't do weddings, but I've heard some people say they do. Maybe I'll give them a call to verify. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • Options
    We decided to go with the Vermilion-on-the-Lake Historic Community Center (<a href="http://www.volohio.org/vol_hcc.htm" rel="nofollow">http://www.volohio.org/vol_hcc.htm</a>).  It's pretty old but gorgeous on the inside and it has a breathtaking panoramic view of Lake Erie.  The pictures on the site don't do it justice at all!  It fits up to 275 I think, but it's best around 150-210 from what I've heard.  Tables and chairs are included, you need to do the set-up yourself but take-down's included, and the rental price is really reasonable.  They have a few recommended caterers they work with often, but there are no restrictions.  It's really easy to go super-budget, more expensive obviously if you go for full linens, plates, glassware, etc - but there are a few companies that have great packages.  You can also save some cash since you can bring your own alcohol :).

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-northeast_the-tired-rustic-venue-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:111Discussion:4f3946b0-e186-4b85-b838-862dcf971060Post:d73854c6-e4db-48b6-8ba2-9eb4f962768c">The Tired Rustic Venue Post</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry to post another plea for rustic venue suggestions, but I'm getting really frustrated with my search and was hoping someone could help.  We're open to several venue types. Vineyards, wineries, lodges, and barns - anything with wooden beams or exposed brick is a plus! Requirements: Normal restrooms (no porta potties or restroom trailers) It must be covered (open air facilities like Hoover Hall are fine, but we prefer to avoid gazebos) Accomodates at least 150 We must be able to self-cater (therefore, we need access to a kitchen) I'm a budget bride, so cost is a huge factor Local - we live in Akron but are willing to travel within a two-hour radius Here are places I've already checked out that won't work for me based on what I'm looking for: Benham's Grove, Boyert's Greenhouse & Farm, Brookside Farm, Camp Crowell/Hilaka, Camp Mary Orton, Camp Wise, Conrad Botzum, Crago Farms, Crown Point Ecology Center, Crystal Brook Farm, Hale Farm, Happy Days Lodge, Hoover Hall, Landolls Mohican Castle, Mon Ami Winery, Niederman Family Farm, Quail Hollow Resort, Quailcrest Farm, The Barn at the Backwoods, the Barn at the Meadows, The Mohican Grand Barn, The Orchard House at Mapleside Farms, and Wolcott Orchards.  New ideas are greatly appreciated!
    Posted by ClaireyBee[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    In Response to Re: The Tired Rustic Venue Post:
    [QUOTE]Try the American Wilderness Campground Event Center in Grafton.  They have a log cabin banquet hall...smells like cedar.  We had the same requirements...self-catered, 150 guests, rustic, BUDGET FRIENDLY.  They've been great.  Warning though, if you're planning on doing the catering yourself, their kitchen is probably smaller than the kitchen in my house...only drawback. These pics don't really do it justice, but you get the idea. http://www.americanwildernesscampground.com/eventgallery.html I don't know if they'll give you a special deal or anything, but if you call, tell them you were referred by me...it's worth a shot! Allison Higgins
    Posted by ahiggies[/QUOTE]

I am wondering about the American Wilderness Campground Event Center in Grafton. I think the banquet hall itself looks great, but I am wondering about the grounds. Are there alot of RVs and campsites right around the hall? My wedding will hopefully be this upcoming october so I'm just wondering what I should expect as far as how the outdoor space looks. Thanks!
  • Options
    I'm getting married at American Wilderness. There is not a campsite right outside the venue- we're have the ceremony outside. It's very affordable! We booked the last Saturday they had for next summer over a month ago- so I'm not sure how far out you're planning your wedding. Happy Planning!
  • Options
    there is a new barn venue opening near Canton next spring (2014)...I've heard the barn being built will have heat/air, indoor/outdoor bar, big porches, nice restrooms, etc. It is on a property that is orchard/woods/hills/creek so there's a different outdoor ceremony locations. I think it's still on a word-of-mouth basis but it might be worth checking into if people are still looking for different options. I wish I knew the name of it!
  • Options
    Thanks, @marissa_anne, but we finally found one. Yay! 
  • Options
    @marissa_anne, did you happen to come across the name of the barn venue opening next spring? I looked but couldn't find anything. Thanks!!
  • Options
    @ElcaB - which venue did you end up choosing? And thank you for the list of venues you provided! 

• Options
    You're welcome, @fianceyebonce! We ended up going with Buffalo Creek Retreat in Seville. It's a great facility!
  • Options
    there is a new barn venue opening near Canton next spring (2014)...I've heard the barn being built will have heat/air, indoor/outdoor bar, big porches, nice restrooms, etc. It is on a property that is orchard/woods/hills/creek so there's a different outdoor ceremony locations. I think it's still on a word-of-mouth basis but it might be worth checking into if people are still looking for different options. I wish I knew the name of it!

Anyone know the name of this?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards