Oregon
Options

Need to vent

Just need to vent - 
I had a consultation with Lams bakery, it went well, and I decided to go with them. Their prices are better than anything else I've found and it tasted great.  I had a question about the decoration so the person there gave me her email so I could send her a picture I liked to see if it was something they could do. 

I then emailed her the picture and in the message asked what the price would be with the new decoration. 1 week goes by. I call thinking maybe they didn't get the email. On the phone I ask the girl if she got my email, and she just said "yes, but I didn't remember how many people you were having so I couldn't give you a price". Uh, isn't that what the reply button is for? I was so irritated I didn't book the cake then. 

I got over my irritation and sent another email several weeks ago saying I wanted to use them and if they emailed me a contract I would put a check in the mail. All the other vendors I've talked to are happy to then scan my signed version and email me back a copy with their signature. No surprise, I never heard back. 

I tried the other Lams hoping they would be better. The cake people only work hours I'm at work and I always spend about 10 minutes on hold when I call either store so the first thing I asked is if they are able to use email. The person on the phone said they didn't know, but didn't think so. These are people under 30!  

I'll eventually get over it and waste a couple hours of my life driving across town to take care of it in person, but on principal I want to go with another bakery. 

Re: Need to vent

• Options
    Poppy715Poppy715 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh I'm so sorry this happened to you! I know Lamb's is really reasonable but it if's at all possible to not use them I wouldn't! Who want's to deal with that nonsense all the time. I'm using His Bakery based in Portland with a store in Oregon City. Their prices are actually a little bit less than Lambs and their flavor is great. Hopefully you have better luck in the future!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    thecatergatorthecatergator member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When my daughter was married this past October, Helen Bernhardt's bakery was cheaper.  It is definately a great tasting cake.

We had a 3 tier with german chocolate cake, carrot cake and lady baltimore cake with raspberry cream filling. 

It was $240.00 including delivery in the Portland area. 

The tiers were 12', 9" and 6" and we provided fresh flowers for the additional decoration.
  • Options
    evabo31evabo31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry that happened to you. I would definitely Yelp about your experience as well. I use Yelp a lot, and I know a lot of people on here do too. Good luck, I hope you find a bakery that meets your needs.
    October 2011 Siggy: Wedding Preview
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the support. I'm definitely going to check out the other bakeries.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My family has always done Helen Bernhards for birthdays and such- future hubby and I will be bucking the trend and buying some of our favorits pies (have you ever had a chocolate cream pie from Safway? YUM), having a cookie table, and buying a small two tier cake from Walmart for $50 (Cake cutting photos). We were also looking into the Beaverton Bakery before deciding we wanted a little less traditional dessert option.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards