Texas-San Antonio

Ceremony/Reception Venue Question.

We're planning our wedding in the San Antonio area, which is about 3 hours from where we live.  My grandparents live in the San Antonio area, so my grandmother is helping us get and stay organized.  My first "assignment" was to research venues online, come up with a list of places we like, plan a trip to SA, and make appointments for while I'm there to see as many venues as I can and HOPEFULLY make a decision.  My question is this; is 4 enough places? 

I don't know how long it will take to tour the venues and discuss information with the staff.  I don't want to NOT get to see all of them while I'm there, but I also don't want to end up having several hours of time that I'm not doing something useful because I'm not going to be able to go to SA every other day to work on planning. 

Re: Ceremony/Reception Venue Question.

• saraohairasaraohaira member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think if youve researched the venue 4 is more than enough. i actually only saw 2 venues with the theme that i envisioned for my wedding. i would probably see the most important first and then if you fall inlove (youll know) you can easily call and cancel the others.
    good luck!

• edited December 2011
    I'm planning long distance for SA wedding (10 hr flight!).  I looked at one venue I was interestd when I was there before we were engaged.  We chose it after engagement.  I've chosen all my vendors online and through calls/emails.  I'll be meeting with everyone for the first time 3 months before my wedding.

While the venue is one of the biggest decisions, be careful that you aren't getting stuck doing this for every single vendor - you'd have a dozen weekends full of 3-5 appts and complete vendor overload.

Narrow down your choices to a handful online through their sites and review sites.  If prices are available online and match your budget, start corresponding.  If prices aren't available online, ask for estimates by phone/email to see if within your range and start coresponding if so.  Through phone calls, narrow down your handful to 1-2.  Then,  meet with them if you're at the point you need to see in person to decide.  

I read things about people meeting with 5 floritsts and 5 venues and 5 coordinators, etc and have no Clue where they get the time to do it!  My family in SA also did some mtgs for me and said, yes definitely get this one or definitely not this one.

I think with careful selection via web/email/phone, you can avoid a lot of unnecessary mtgs.  If you're careful about your screening (figure out your most impt questions and email to each of them ) you'll probably end up with a 90% success rate on your wedding outcome without all the site visit stress.

Did this assignment come from your grandmother?  I'd be nervous the same assignment will come down for every vendor...so maybe set the expectations low of how much you feel is necessary in person.  But yes, venue is most important.
  • MMH3123MMH3123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I chose the DoubleTree Hotel, San Antonio Airport. They had everything in one place. We got the Venue, Cake, Fresh Flowers, Satin Linen, Champagne and a Free room. It is so much easier 
  • amw0516amw0516 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live 8 hours away from San Antonio.  I booked as many appointments as I could to see differen't venues I saw websites for and talked to and wanted to look at.  I would recommend making more then you can always cancel.  We went to all of our appointments and hated some of the people there and some of the actual venues.  We put the our #1 pick first so thats what we compared all the other venues too.  We ended up booking the first pick (Old San Francisco Steakhouse)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards