Destination Weddings Discussions

Cruises?

I am typically NOT the cruising type. I like to go somewhere and explore it to the fullest, and I'm not a fan of crowded places. That being said: DH is going to be in London for the Olympics from mid July to mid August. I was planning on going with him originally but he's staying in the Olympic village instead of a hotel this time so that's not an option. I'd like to go on a little vacation while he's gone and I think a cruise might be a good way to go. It'll be relaxing, cheaper than flying to a tropical island, and structured enough that I can be lazy and just show up with minimal planning. So-- who has been on a cruise? Which lines are best? Which locations have you been to? What did you like, what could be skipped?

Re: Cruises?

• I loved my cruise when I went to Bermuda! It was so beautiful there. The water is so clear and the sands are pink! I actually wanted to go there for my wedding but it's so expensive, unless your on a cruise! Seeing that you live in Baltimore, you can leave right from there. I went on Royal Carribean which was great but I didn't like the fact that we had to be back on ship for our 7 pm dinner time, although we couldve just had the buffet. Other cruise lines don't have the mandatory dinner time. I would def choose a bigger ship with lots to do. We picked a smaller ship for a lower price and I was a little sorry we did that. Good luck planning!
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • Living on St. Thomas has taught me a lot about cruising.  I've only been on one cruise line, and that's Carnival.  It was a BLAST. I loved every minute of it.  It was cheap, and a lot of fun.  Avoid lines like Holland America and Celebrity.  They're mostly older people, 60+ in age.  Princess and Royal Caribbean have a decent mix.  Disney cruises have a lot of children. 

Our season here is from December-April.  It's not crowded in the summer as everyone tends to do their summer closer to home.  You'll be able to go to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, and completely avoid the crowds. The shopping is better, stores are giving out great discounts just to move products.  And there's hardly any shoppers on the streets. 

In the summer time, the cooler places are "In season," like Canada and Alaska.  If you want to avoid crowds, you may want to do your research before hopping on a cruise North.  I took a Canadian cruise in June, and it was beautiful and just at the right time before the crowds took to the streets. 

And if you choose to come to the Caribbean, let me know!  I'll be here!
  • Ashley, I'm jealous you live on ST. Thomas!!
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • We took a Carnival cruise to the Bahamas.  We visited Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay (their private island), and Nassau.  Half Moon Cay is PARADISE and my favorite place in the world.  Nassau was awful- if we ever go there again, we're gonna go to Atlantis.  If that sucks too, we'll stay on the boat the next time.  I didn't like it there at all.  Grand Turk was still re-building (they were just hit by a hurricane) but it was gorgeous.  We went to the opposite side of the island to snorkel and we were the only people on the beach for most of the day, with the exception of a few locals who showed up late in the afternoon.  Highly recommend!

We loved it so much we're cruising with Carnival again for the second half of our honeymoon.  Can't wait!!  We're leaving from San Juan (PR is the first half of the trip haha) and visiting St. Kitts, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, St. Lucia, and Barbados.
  • FI always talks about Half Moon Cay.  That is yet another place that we talked aout getting married.  He said that he loved going to Nassau but that is because he is a hude fan of Atlantis.  I went on a cruise years ago and it stopped in San Juan and I didn't like it there.  We also stopped in St. Thomas and I lovd it there.  THe shopping is awesome!
    Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
    Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • jacquiroxxjacquiroxx member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Some of our pics from HMC on our cruise back in '09...

(this was my desktop pciture for months after we got back)

We went parasailing & I brought the camera up with me when it was my turn.  This is a (crooked) picture of the island.  You can really see the blueness of the water.

Just a fun shot of Fi (then boyfriend) and I in the bluest water I've ever been in.  You can see the bottom and it's 20+ feet below us.

HMC is absolutely paradise.  I highly recommend trying to find a cruise with that as one of its ports if you go with Carnival.  The sand is like baby powder- I brought some home for my sand collection & still find myself running my fingers through it every now and then.  We considered getting married there, but that would require a cruise and there is NO WAY I want to be stuck on a boat with my dad for more than a few hours haha.
  • I've been on two cruises, one with Carnival and one with Princess. I know several people have posted that they like Carnival, but I felt like -- with my experience -- they pushed alcohol so much. I wasn't even 21 at the time (nor did I look 21) and literally every 5 minutes on the deck, I was being asked if I wanted a drink. I loved Princess Cruise Lines -- they had some awesome excursions, the ship was beautiful and it was so relaxing. If I went on a cruise again, I would do Princess or Royal Carribbean. 

I am so jealous that your FI is going to the Olympics and staying in Olympic village! That's awesome!
    ~*~ Ask me about DW Knottie of the Day and Nestie of the Day! ~*~

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're looking at a cruise for our honeymoon in July or so.  We're using it as a way to see somewhere we might not normally go as it's more of a tour type vacation.  We prefer to explire on our own, but we're looking at the Hloy Lands/Egypt/Mediterranian areas, and some of the stops seem a little too unsafe for us to just backpack around.  We figure with a cruise and their day trips, we can see these places with a tourist group, see the main sites and be back on the ship so we don't go missing!!!  We haven't decided for sure though

• We always cruise with Carnival and have always had the best time.  That is also the cruise line our whole wedding party and guests are taken right after our wedding. 

We cruised to the Bahamas, Freeport and Nassau.  I honestly loved Nassau but that might have been because we spent most of our time over at Atlantis.  I think it is a unique experience however to see how they live there.  The only thing I hated was seeing all the dogs everywhere because I wanted to bring them all back with me!

Our cruise in August we are going back to Freeport, Nassau, and then to Half Moon Cay.  I can't wait!!!  I think you would really enjoy cruising, I swear it's the best way to travel.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ive done two cruses one on princess and one on carnival. I LOVED my princess cruise and would recommend that line. My experience with carnival was fine but i didnt think the food was as good as princess. Plus i thought the excursions and boat itself was better on princess.

Our Wedding- June 15, 2012- Jamaica
    imageAnniversary

Samantha's Bio~Updated 5/15/12

DW Siggy Website
  • Hi!

I've haven't been on the boards in ages! And now it's time to plan our vow renewal and we're doing so on a cruise... again.

My first cruise was with NCL and that's the cruise line we used to elope. I loved the 'freestyle' concept - you can eat and do whatever whenever.

Also, I like NCL's itineraries and their costs.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are planning a cruise for next January.  Right now we are thing a Caribbean one leaving from San Juan and then spending another week in San Juan either before or after.  We have never been on a cruise before and I am excited to try it out.
    imageAnniversary
  • I've been on quite a few cruises. Mostly Carnival in the Caribbean and I went on one to Alaska which was Holland. The Alaska one was in September which was the end of their season. It was the prettiest place I've ever been and the weather was perfect. I didn't really like the Bahamas. Cayman is gorgeous. Jamaica is 'ghetto' for lack of a better word. But they have a waterfall that is fun to climb up and the landscape is gorgeous. Mexico is for drinking and shopping. I loved Roatan and Belize. The next cruise I want to go on is out of Puerto Rico and goes to 5 of the Virgin Islands.
  • Ummmmm..... What you really should be doing is visiting Maui in July! I'm not a cruise person at all. I don't see the appeal. In fact these was a cruise ship docked in Lahaina and I just thought it looked so weird.
  • I like Royal Caribbean cruises, over Carnival.  We took one to celebrate our engagement and it was wonderful.  We're also taking our HM cruise on RC to the Bahamas, St. Marteen, and St Thomas.
  • My first cruise was Royal Caribbean, where my best friend got married and it was a great time, second one was Carnival and we sailed to Naussau, and third one was for our honeymoon from Hawaii to Tahiti on Princess. I liked each one of them and you can definitely get a lot of deals if you book soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards