Registry and Gift Forum

Honeymoon Registry

Im sure people have posted about this before but I must do it again. Have any of you registered for a honeymoon? If you are already married how many people actually bought from it?
We do have a traditional registry at target with more than enough items on it. In ALL price ranges. But we did do a honeymoon registry too. Nothing huge. We live in ct and we are just going to boston for 4-5 days. We put the money denominations starting at 10 bucks up to 25. So affordable if people actually want to do this.
I have heard that these are tacky but then also have heard that these are a great and fun alternative to the traditional registrys.
Thoughts?
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Honeymoon Registry

• If you look down the page you will find lots of threads on this.  Most people here think they are tacky.  Most people here also think it's tacky to register at all if you are already married.
    Married 10/2/10
  • I don't think she is saying that she is already married, I think that she is asking for info on the experiences of already married people who used a HM registry.
  • Ah, that makes more sense.  Smile
    Married 10/2/10
  • Hee hee perhaps I worded that wrong. My bad..so sorry. But yes cew515 is correct about what I meant.
    Would anyone of you get something from a friend or family members honeymoon registry? I would have no problem with that.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Well, I wouldn't, because it's just giving the person cash - they don't actually get the massage or whatever, the site just cuts a check.  So if I want to give the person cash, I'll just give them cash and avoid the middle man.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Just say no to Honeymoon Registries.  
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Well you've already setup the registry so not sure why you are questioning it now. You are not going to get the advice you are looking for here because most knotties are against HM registries. I would have no problem buying something for someone from a HM registry.
  • I wouldn't. I'm rather neutral to the idea behind a HM registry, but if I'm going to give cash as a gift I'm not going to deal with the website that's going to take a cut of it. Why would I pay a company to hand you money when I can do it for free?
    Photobucket
  • I find buying good friends/fam kitchenware kinda boring. I love the ease of the HM registry (cause it is online and simple) I don't care if there is a fee.  I don't care if the company gets a cut. It is easier IMO.
  • I am not planning to ask for money for the HM, but rather we have selected a few tours we want to take on our HM.  We are going to Kauai and have put on our registry a couple of extra tours we would like to go on.  We already have all the housewares and all of that, so just to be fun we decided on something different.  It seemed to work with our situation.
  • Interesting. We're still a year away from our wedding so not registering for awhile yet, but I had no idea people were overwhelmingly against the HM registries. I also thought they sounded like a neat idea, and if a couple really didn't need another set of dishes or a nacho bowl, then why not give them something else they can use? But I can understand the cash argument also.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:d32478a7-d02a-43fe-9ffd-4c02777a9b70Post:b1b411b4-42a0-436c-9680-03784ac68401">Re: Honeymoon Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]Interesting. We're still a year away from our wedding so not registering for awhile yet, but I had no idea people were overwhelmingly against the HM registries. I also thought they sounded like a neat idea, and if a couple really didn't need another set of dishes or a nacho bowl, then why not give them something else they can use? But I can understand the cash argument also.
    Posted by stephdonjon[/QUOTE]

<div>I wouldn't use the knot as a representative sample of what people's opinions are of HM registries.  It's really the same few people bashing or supporting them each time.  Your best bet is to ask around in your social circle to get people's opinions.  I was a bit discouraged about them after being on here, but I have one, and my family and friends think it's a great idea.  My Mom pointed out that people thought regular registries were tacky and rude when they first started becoming more common, but after awhile people saw the utility of them and they are now pretty universally accepted.</div>
    October 2010 September SC - 1st Anniversary Plans:
    Trip to Prague & bring home furbaby when we get back
    imageimage
    ~ Karen ~
    **Wedding/House/Travel Bio **
  • I also was against honeymoon registries but all of my friends convinced me there's nothing wrong with it.  In fact, I took a poll of all the weddings people in my circle had been to recently and they said most if not all had a honeymoon registry.  We also have a bed, bath, and beyond registry so if people don't feel comfortable it's not a problem.  But we already have a fully furnished house, we walked around BBB for 2 hours and only ended up registering for 26 items...so for us the honeymoon registry just makes sense. 
  • I think a honeymoon registry is fine as long as you do it tastefully.  My cousin registered at honeyfund and that's where I got the idea too. She did it as her only registry, but I also registered elsewhere.  So far, the  people who have experienced mine have really liked it!!  We paid an extra 30 dollars so there are no ads on our site, when you go to it, it is just our regisrty.  My cousin didn't do that and got some confused guests.  Some thought the ads were also where she was registered.  My advice is if you pay a little to avoid ads and really work on it, it looks nice and people know you put effort in.  That way it isn't just asking for money.
  • @Stagemanager- I have seen a couple of posts in which you are avidly against honeymoon registries, which is fine, that is your opinion and there is nothing wrong with that.  But why would you not give a wedding gift of cash that you would normally give, if that is what the bride and groom want?  Isn't it better to give them something they can use than something they can't?  With a wedding, gifts can't be assumed so its not like they are expecting money, they are just hoping for it.  For a honeymoon, normally you can already afford to go, but its nice to have a little extra to do those more luxurious things that you don't have to do, but would make for an even better once-in-a-lifetime honeymoon.  For example, you could stay at a hotel that is $50/night, but with just a little help you could maybe stay in that nicer hotel with a view for $100/night.  I think that is an awesome gift to give someone.

I'm not attacking or anything, I'm just curious why you would say "In fact, the only time we DON'T give money as a wedding gift is when there's some sort of registry asking for money (HM, mortgage, etc). "  It's kind of harsh, especially if you are attending a wedding of someone you care about.
  • Asking for gifts in general is offensive, but suggesting ideas is a different story. Registries in general are meant to be more like wish lists for people who WANT to give you a gift they know you will love. For that reason I see nothing wrong with a honeymoon registry. The idea is heartfelt in that knowing the cash is going to help create special memories. 
    Also, sites like honeyfund.com do NOT take a cut of the gift. But provide people who were planning on giving monetary funds anyway an actual "gift" and concept that their gift will be used for.
  • @AmoroAgain- at no point in this are you ASKING for anything.  It is not proper etiquette to put registry information in the wedding invitation, so at no point are you saying "We want cash!" to your guests.  I like how @singsomesong put it... "Registries in general are meant to be more like wish lists for people who WANT to give you a gift they know you will love."

In no way should this be offensive to anyone.  If you are curious enough, as a guest, to ask around to find out where the couple's wedding registry is, then why would you be offended to find out what they really want?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards