New Jersey - South
Options

Is my 9yr old nephew to old to be the ring bearer?

I have a 9 year old nephew who I love and cheerish with all my heart. I want him to be in my wedding but I'm not sure what role would be appropriate for him to play. My parents & 1 of my sisters believe he should be my ring bearer but myself & my other sister (his mother) feel like he is too old to be the ring bearer. My question to all of you is if I don't make him my ring bearer is there another way he could be in my wedding?

Re: Is my 9yr old nephew to old to be the ring bearer?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I had the same problem with my nephew.  He is 10 and we are super close and always talked about being the ring bearer in my wedding. I decided I would ask him if he still wanted to be my ring bearer and if he said yes I was going to just let him do it..He didnt care as much anymore, so I am making him a junior groomsman.  He is super excited to be part of my day.  So you can always make him a junior groomsman, but if you wanted him as a ring bearer I still think that would be cute too..
  • Options
    lynee397lynee397 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have thought about this as well because my nephew will turn 8 right before our wedding.  We are going to have him carry a ring dish instead of the traditional pillow because we want him to be apart of our day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    IMO I think he is still at a "cute" age where he could be the RB.   And since you are two are close, I say go for it.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If he's not embarassed by it (because kids get more self conscious as they get older, not because the role is inappropriate) then I say have him be ring bearer.  I dont think 9 is too old.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

i say he's a good choice.  a 9-year-old will take better direction and get more out of the role than say, a 5-year-old.  and you won't have to worry about him being afraid or wanting to run to mommy during the ceremony.  in general, an older child would be much more reliable than a younger one due to his maturity level.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards