Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Guest Name Tags

We are considering having our guests wear name tags during the reception.  There will be under 100 guests, but a lot of the people will only know a couple other people there so we thought having name tags with a code of how they know the Bride and Groom would help break the ice more.  I don't want a "Hello, my name is" sticker on everyone though.  The reception will be cocktail buffet style, so people will be mingling. 

Has anyone considered name tags before?  Any suggestions on making them less dorky or help people meet the other guests?

Re: Guest Name Tags

• Options
    Oh no.  I would not like this at all and I would refuse to wear it if I was a guest.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_guest-name-tags-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:aa549f8d-da29-44ef-9c6f-f0f7c5324f11Post:fe882fca-21f0-42e3-861a-bb557aaa8677">Guest Name Tags</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are considering having our guests wear name tags during the reception.  There will be under 100 guests, but a lot of the people will only know a couple other people there so we thought having name tags with a code of how they know the Bride and Groom would help break the ice more.  I don't want a "Hello, my name is" sticker on everyone though.  The reception will be cocktail buffet style, so people will be mingling.  Has anyone considered name tags before?  Any suggestions on making them less dorky or help people meet the other guests?
    Posted by jsrosewedding[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but this is a horrible idea.  This is your wedding not a convention.  Our guests for the most part did not know anyone but the person they came with and everyone got to know eachother.  This isn't high-school.  Adults know how to mingle and say "Hi.  I'm Sarah, Rose's friend."  The other person will know to respond in like.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    If I was invited to a wedding and got myself looking all pretty in a nice dress and then I was given a nametag which totally ruined my look, I would be annoyed and I certainly wouldn't wear it.  I'm old enough to know how to walk up to someone and say, "Hi, my name is Megan...this is how I know the bride and groom"...and begin a conversation.  It's not complicated.  

Additionally...do you really want to look back at your pictures and see everyone with stupid name tags on?
  • Options
    I'd lose my nametag... quickly.

It's very easy for an adult to ask another how they know the bride and groom.  Don't overthink this.
  • Options
    I would not wear a name tag at a wedding reception.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    My name tag would "mysteriously" find itself in the toilet.  

Adults are perfectly capable of introducing themselves and making small talk with strangers if they want to.  Guests who aren't comfortable talking to strangers aren't going to start because of a name tag.  Have a little faith in their ability to be social.  

People drop this idea unless you want small talk to consist of "can you believe we have to wear these stupid name tags?"  
  • Options
    Another vote for no. Please don't do this.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    This screams "orientation meeting" being hosted by a wunderkind new manager who read way too many "How to Manage for Dummies" type workbooks written in the mid-90's.

• Options
    No.  This is a wedding reception, not a team-building exercise at a corporate convention.
  • Options
    I'm with everyone one else. It's a big NO.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree that I do not love the name tag idea, but I was also looking for some constructive feedback on helping guests mingle and chat during the reception.  Telling me a flat out no and insulting the idea does not help.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_guest-name-tags-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:aa549f8d-da29-44ef-9c6f-f0f7c5324f11Post:c7cc8641-68d1-4eba-913b-4cc25d2166cf">Re: Guest Name Tags</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree that I do not love the name tag idea, but I was also looking for some constructive feedback on helping guests mingle and chat during the reception.  Telling me a flat out no and insulting the idea does not help.

Have you never been to a wedding before? Honest question.

I've been to 25+ plus weddings in my adult life so far...if I want to meet someone or learn how they know the bride and groom, I go up to them, introduce myself and make small talk. Vice versa if someone wanted to get to know me.

Adults don't need help "mingling" and "chatting".
  • Options
    beardownbchsbeardownbchs member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2013
    I'm with everyone else. No name tags.

BUT - I do have a funny story. My dad has some cousins who I barely know. At my brother's wedding a few months ago, I was in the bathroom (after several drinks) and I was washing my hands with another woman standing next to me. Trying not to be awkward, I said, "Are you a family member of Bride's?" and she laughs and tells me that she's my cousin. She knew exactly who I was and I looked like a giant ass. So as lame as name tags are, I could have used one at that moment. Embarassed
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_guest-name-tags-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:aa549f8d-da29-44ef-9c6f-f0f7c5324f11Post:c7cc8641-68d1-4eba-913b-4cc25d2166cf">Re: Guest Name Tags</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree that I do not love the name tag idea, but I was also looking for some constructive feedback on helping guests mingle and chat during the reception.  Telling me a flat out no and insulting the idea does not help.

Your guests are adults so din't insult them.  They do not need somone to help them mingle and chat. Anything that you do to try to "help" them is going to me met with a lot of eyerolling.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    Wow - looks like nametags are NOT a hit! Honestly, though, I understand your concern about guests meeting people and having fun. I'm in the same boat - my wedding will be almost entirely families from both sides and then some people who only know one or two other people. We're not doing assigned seating because it will be an outdoor, buffet reception, but I'm also concerned about my guests having a good time. The fact is, you invite them, you thank them for coming, and you try to talk with everybody at least once, but then you have to trust your guests to entertain themselves a bit and mingle. Aside from strategic assigned seating (to encourage people with similar interests, etc. to interact), there's not much more you can do!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    i hope you're joking (or drunk).

and i hope that by 'cocktail buffet' you don't mean 'forced mingling' with not enough seats and table space for everyone.

• Options
    I would just like to add that if I attended a wedding with name tags, I would probably put a name like "Hugh Jass" on mine.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_guest-name-tags-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:aa549f8d-da29-44ef-9c6f-f0f7c5324f11Post:c7cc8641-68d1-4eba-913b-4cc25d2166cf">Re: Guest Name Tags</a>:

<div>Adults know how to mingle.  They don't need your assistance.</div><div>
    </div><div>That being said...if you wanted to do something maybe having something on the table like I've seen on Pinterest..."advice for the couple" or maybe "facts about the couple" or something to get people talking...but really, they don't need your help.  Use assigned tables and people will be fine.</div>
  • Options
    eeek.  I would not wear it.  You may want to scrap this idea.  I know how to converse with adults, I think your guests probably do too.  My 6 year old knows how to ask someone's name.

June 1, 2013 - finally making it official!

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I don't know why you all are so set against this idea.  Think of all the opportunities this approach to receptions presents! 

Lessee.... oh!  One of my favorites are the super awkward 'icebreaker'  games, where they ask you to reveal a 'hidden talent'. (I don't have any PC ones, so I suck at that particular game.).

Then there's the 'trustbuilder' games.  Where everyone trusts complete strangers to catch them while they fall.  No wait... I suck at that one too.

Or.... hrm.... feather-push!  You know, where everyone laughs at you while you try to blow a feather accross the room?  Bonus points if you are wearing heels that day and almost fall.  Um... wait no, I've never won that.

I got nuthin OP.  Just serve adult drinks.  Works better than name-tags.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    Everyone here gave you constructive criticism as well as alternatives. Not sure how it could be more clear. Nametags are not needed and won't be well received. I did do name tags at my RD since we invited all our OOT guests. I put their name and then "Bride's Uncle" etc. Even then there were a few who balked at it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards