Canada-Ontario
Options

cake ideas - cheap alternatives - Toronto area

I want a cake.  but I dont really want to spend $500 for it.  I just want 3 plain tiers and I can put my own ribbon around each layer.  Where are you getting your cake? What do you think if I just order 3 plain vanilla fondant cake from Loblaws or somewhere (suggestions please) and stack them on tiered trays and put some flowers on top?
Help!

Re: cake ideas - cheap alternatives - Toronto area

• Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out Dufflet - I found their pricing to be surprisingly reasonable.

We entertained the thought of doing our own cake, but decided against it because I didn't want to deal with the hassle of delivering and assembling the cake the morning of the wedding.

If you decide to try assembling your own.. I'd highly recommend a test run. Get the cakes, insert the dowels, transport it over to a friend's house or something, and assemble it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    By the time you buy practice cakes and real-thing cakes you'll probably be approaching the cost of a low-end wedding cake.

Does it have to be tiered or could you get a single layer decorated nicely?

FrugalBride has some listings for bakeries in the Toronto area:

http://www.frugalbride.com/products/vendor.cfm?prov=ON&cat=2&plan=1
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    try the weddingcakeshoppe on college street.
  • Options
    mcrotondomcrotondo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

The dessert lady has cupcakes as low as $1.35 each plus delivery and set up.  That might be an alternative.  If you plan on serving cake you could also just buy 2 tiers for show and serve a slab cake from loblaws.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We found this lady on Kijiji.  She works out of her home in Richmond Hill, but will deliver anywhere in the GTA.  She is making a beautiful cake for us for an amazing price, the best price I found anywhere (and I did my homework)...  She also offers cake tasting for $10.  She is also very nice and easy to work with.  Her website is listed below.

http://www.erivanacakes.com/

Good luck with the rest of your planning.
  • Options
    LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using a great girl named Daniella - she is so sweet and a great person to work with.  She works on her own out of her house (her entire basement is a bakery - it is incredible), and her prices are excellent.  Our tasting was free, and the 3 tiered cake you see below was $260 including delivery.  She also does cookies and cupcakes and is very professional.

Here's her website: http://www.cakensdesigner.com/
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I am researching cake options as we speak. My dad is looking into an option my step-sister did. I think we have decided to go with it if my favourite bakery can do it. She bought 4 cakes and used one as the official wedding cake. She felt the tiered cake was not her style. It may be cheaper and you can also mix and match flavours depending on how many you have. I love cheese cake but some of my guest don't so this is a perfect way so that both my guests and I are happy. You may want to look into the idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards