Florida-West Coast
Options

Wedding Cake with 'fake' Tiers

Hello Ladies!

I'm considering investing in a wedding cake that only has one real cake tier that will be used for cutting, and the rest of the tier's being fake.  Has anyone decided to go this route?  If so, which cake company did you use?  Was it relatively cheaper?

The only reason why I'm considering this option is because my reception venue provides a dessert of our choice with the menu we had chosen.

Thanks!!

Re: Wedding Cake with 'fake' Tiers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    and by 'has anyone decided to go this route' I meant Did anyone decide to go this route?  I speak proper English I swear!  haha.
  • Options
    kmf218kmf218 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was going to do it but I decided to do cup cakes instead Smile but my cousin used fake cake tiers at her wedding and you couldn't tell the difference. She had her heart set on a grand cake but it wasn't in her budget and her baker suggested using the fake tiers to save some money. Her baker was in Georgia but I'm sure if you find one you like they should do it for you and it will be much cheaper then using real cake. Where are you planning on having your reception?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm actually thinking of forgoing the darn cake and doing cupcakes. I don't have a large crowd to feed, so i think i'll just do that.
    I have attended a wedding where bride and groom had a fake cake and were serving chocolate covered strawberries instead, i thought it was a neat idea.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    @ kmfreema, I'm having my recption at the Tampa Club.
  • Options
    mpgatormpgator member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't looked into cakes yet, but I plan to do this too. I was a BM at wedding in St. Augustine two years ago where they had a fake middle tier. They did a real one for the top and the bottom and then had a large sheet cake that they actually served the majority of the guests from. No one knew and the cake was beautiful, and the bride & groom still got to have the top layer for their anniversary. I think she said that it saved her like $300.

pezco21-- please update us and let us know if you found a good vendor for this! thanks:)
  • Options
    kmf218kmf218 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Pezco21,
    The view there is incredible! I'm sure your guest are going to be blown away. Have you talked to the planner there to see if they could recommend cake vendors? That might be a good place to start.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know!!  I'm really excited! Since most of our guests will be OOTers, I wanted to make it as memorable as possible.

I did ask the planner at the Tampa Club for recommendations and made appointments with the ones on the list, but I didn't inquire about fake tiers yet.  But I may have found a solution!

After doing A LOT of googling, LOL, I came across this website:

http://cakerental.com/index2009.html

I made initial contact with Kimberly the designer and she seems very professional and the concept is really cool and affordable.  I may end up going this route!!
  • Options
    kmf218kmf218 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow that is really cool! lol Yay for google lol you have to show me the end results! The pictures on the site look so real
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi! We did not do fake tiers, but we did do a small 2 tier wedding cake for show from a very reputable baker and then had additional sheet cakes in the back to serve from. It worked out great because the tiered cake that guests saw was beautiful. We even purchased the sheet cakes from a less expensive vendor than our tiered cake was from. For instance you could get Publix sheet cake. Doing this saved a significant amount of money especially to feed our group of 130. Hope to help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards