Pre-wedding Parties

Shower Question

I recently got engaged on July 29th. Since that day my aunt has been calling, facebooking, and texting me about putting together every kind of pre-wedding party you can imagine. How do I go about letting her know that its okay for her to throw these parties, but not hurt her feelings if she goes overboard. We aren't getting married until Feb. 1, 2013, and my aunt is talking about having parties in the next few months. Its starting to become overwhelming, but I don't want to hurt her feelings by asking her to stop. I'm her only niece and she has all boys, so I know this will be the only real chance she gets to host these parties. My mom and I have decided to start really planning after the first of the year. Is it okay to ask my aunt to hold off some and let everything sink in for me? Or is that really rude?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Shower Question

• edited December 2011
    Is she offering to throw an engagement party or a shower? You could explain to her that not everyone has an engagement party.  If it's a shower, you can tell her that she has plenty of time to put together a shower because those typically don't happen until 6 months prior to the wedding at the very earliest. 

I don't think it's rude to tell her that you prefer not to have a party.  Just explain to her how you're feeling a little overwhelmed.  Be gracious and thank her profusely for her enthusiasm about your wedding.  I don't think there will be any hurt feelings.

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011

Tell your aunt that you haven't finalized any sort of guest list at all yet, and since no one gets invited to ANY prewedding parties (engagement or shower) who isn't invited to the wedding, you want to wait a while until it's decided. Tell her that you'll let her know once the planning process starts so that she can help if she still wants. Then just drop it and say nothing has been finalized if she keeps bringing it up.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • kmarlowe13kmarlowe13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ya'll. I talked to her and she agreed to just put together a bunch of ideas she wanted to try that we could look through later on. I think she just got a little excited and kinda ran with it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards