Massachusetts-Boston
Options

any advice? -- this is a LONG one :)

Some of you may or may not be in the same situation, I'm not sure how to handle this one. We had our shower earlier this month and are VERY appreciative to our generous family and friends for everything they have done surrounding our wedding - including the many gifts we have received since we got engaged, at our shower and even the few early wedding presents :)

Christmas is around the corner and my birthday falls a month before our wedding and FI 's is two weeks before the wedding....how do we delicately let family members know that registry/wedding gifts should not be Christmas or birthday presents (I sound sooooo ungrateful right now and I am soooo not!). Completing a place setting for Christmas is a very generous gift yes but in my mind it is a shower/wedding gift not a Christmas present...again, I know I sound ungrateful - I am NOT!

The reason I am asking is, my bedding for some reason went on super sale today at Macy's so I called and asked if they would honor the price (kind of like a pre-sale) on Wen. the start of their Friends & Family sale (25% off....no restrictions). They agreed and are holding the items for us to come in and pick up, so they have not yet been purchased.

I just logged onto our Macy's registry to check the sale price of another item and noticed that our bedding was purchased sometime between my phone call this morning and now. There are a few suspects and we do appreciate that someone went and purchased this for us, I guess we'll find out who when Santa brings it Christmas morning or on our birthday :)

Re: any advice? -- this is a LONG one :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't get it - you don't want things you've registered for your wedding for either Xmas or your birthday? Why not?

Maybe because I don't like many things but I would be thrilled to get things I didn't get for my wedding for this upcoming Xmas.

I think the only tactful way to do it is to make sure people know of other things you want (like if you're out shopping with your mom, mention this sweater that you lurve but can't afford because of the wedding costs). But I don't understand TBH.

GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wish I had some advice for you, but honestly I would think that registry items are great holiday gifts since obviously they're things that you want and I totally understand people choosing to buy off there if they don't know what else to get you.  I think without providing another list of items that you want, you may just have to deal with people getting you items off of your registry.

As for what to do about the bedding, I would just still get your bedding on sale and then when you get the bedding from whoever got it for you just return that one and get a credit at the store.  I really don't think there's a tactful way to tell people to not buy you items off a list of things that you've indicated you wanted.  GL!
    Kristen & Matt - June 27, 2008
    We're married!

My Bio
  • Options
    Scarlet856Scarlet856 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married on NYE and I'm hoping to get items off my registry for Christmas. I agree with the pp there is not tactful way to ask people not to buy off your registry for the holidays.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies....I don't think I could EVER say anything about purchasing gifts to ANYONE, this post got the best of me in the heat of a discussion with FI...it is not my style at all!

FI and I are going to enjoy Christmas (and our birthdays) to the fullest....even if it starts to look like our shower when opening gifts:)
  • Options
    Moneypenny424Moneypenny424 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't say anything to anyone.  Like PP said, it's a list of things you want, so it is an easy shopping list.  I was happy to receive gifts from our registry whenever we received them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have been referring people to our registry for holiday gifts (when they ask of course)--we actually already got our comforter from my mom.  But again--I have gotten kichen stuff for the last three Christmases because I love to cook.  I can see if you are not into cooking stuff wanting other things.  I think the only way to spread the word would be if people directly ask you what you want for Christmas and then you should give them some ideas not say "something not from the registry"
    GP February Siggy Challenge:
    Black History Month

TTC since Feb 2012
    Diagnosed with PCOS and anovulation
    2 round clomid 1 round femara--no response
    1st round injectables/IUI 1/31---BFP! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry hon. I think this is one time that you will have to let it go.

I get that you are not ungrateful for the gifts, but nonetheless, I think this is one of those occasions where something won't go as you planned it, and you just have to roll with it.

The end result will still be positive: you get lots of cool stuff and you have great family and friends who like you enough to buy you things.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Maybe tell your parents or a close friend to kinda spread the word. Are you thinking you want different stuff for xmas and bday? 
    Personally, not buying all the kitchen stuff on my registry myself has been KILLING me (I love to cook!) so I told my parents and siblings the stuff I really needed (ok, wanted) off the registry. 
  • Options
    jkeprosjkepros member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe they are just shopping the sales ahead of time for the actual wedding?  You can't assume that they are purchasing for XMas, just because that's the next holiday coming up.  You might just have to grin & bear it.  :)  Or have you thought about adding some "fun" items to your registry that you wouldn't MIND getting for bdays/xmas?  Just a thought....

I've been BEGGING my family to buy things off our registry for bday/xmas gifts for the past 2 years (we have a 2.5y engagement and registered right away at the request of FI's family who wanted to get us some engagement gifts).  NO ONE WILL DO IT!  They all say that that's wedding stuff and not bday/xmas stuff.  What?!  I picked it all out, it's all stuff I want, and honestly, I'd rather have fun new kitchen stuff, cool stuff for our apartment (like some of the vases, picture frames, etc), or fun outdoorsy items (we also registered at REI!), then the typical gifts I get.  We got a few items for our engagement, and have bought some of the stuff for ourselves with awesome sales, but no one will give any of it for any other occasion.  I'm not saying that I am expecting place settings or steak knives, but a camp stove, or waffle iron would be awesome :)
    Yay! Finally able to update my signature :)
    by Shannon Sorensen Photography
    My hubby & I rock the frock.
    Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yep, I agree that this one doens't make sense to me.  I LOVED getting registry gifts for Christmas last year!  I was so sad when we deleted our registry after the wedding...  I'd love to create another one before Christmas and my birthday roll around! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards