New Jersey
Options

Pavillion for outside BBQ reception

We are planning a destination wedding and would love a BBQ reception with all of our friends and family when we return. Does anyone know of parks around Somerset/Union/Morris counties with pavillion where we could BBQ and hopefully do a pig roast as well? I'm not originally from this area so any direction would be helpful!

Thanks!!! 
Krista

Re: Pavillion for outside BBQ reception

• Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would look at the county park commissions' websites for more info.  I know that a bunch of the Morris County parks (Lewis Morris, Schooley's Mountain, Hedden and Silas Condict at the very least) have picnic areas.  And Willowwood and Frelinghuysen Arboretums can do tented events.

Some considerations though -- alcohol (if that's important to you) can be tricky, the bathrooms will not be nice, and you may be dealing with picnic tables instead of nicer tables.  Not sure how important those things are to you...

(Also, some people find t at-home receptions after destination weddings to be rude, particularly if not everyone was invited to the actual wedding.)
  • Options
    sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I believe you can go to Colonial park, but again no alcohol.

What about Rutgers Gardens?  They have a paviliion.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Vasa Park is a Scandinavian cultural center in Budd Lake. I've never been, but I believe you can bring alcohol and your own food.

http://www.vasaparknj.com/
  • Options
    dianenjnjdianenjnj member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    check out ballyowen in sussex county nj....not exactly a bbq place....but very nice low key pavillion...much nicer than a hoe down bbq.
  • Options
    BrianKristaBrianKrista member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input, everyone! The Rutgers Gardens looks wonderful and I'll have to look into the other park suggestions. I appreciate the input, although I take slight offense to the implication of having a hoedown BBQ. I could put on a classy and fun BBQ wedding reception in a backyard if I had to if that is what my budget allowed.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_pavillion-outside-bbq-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:0f71c9d5-9c65-4072-82f5-ef2d4d95e4a2Post:0f7ea347-317f-49a7-8e86-71d585972471">Re: Pavillion for outside BBQ reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the input, everyone! The Rutgers Gardens looks wonderful and I'll have to look into the other park suggestions. I appreciate the input, although I take slight offense to the implication of having a hoedown BBQ.<strong> I could put on a classy and fun BBQ wedding reception in a backyard if I had to if that is what my budget allowed.</strong>
    Posted by BrianKrista[/QUOTE]

<div>That is absolutely true.  Don't listen to dianenjnj -- she's exceedingly negative and rude!!!</div>
  • Options
    BrianKristaBrianKrista member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you uppereastgirl! I really appreciate it :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    upper and you are????
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    got news....barbecue weddings are NOT classy...fyi

they could be fun, informal, etc., but NOT classy...just so you know
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    actually Diane, they can be classy if done right. Just because there isn't a chandelier hanging over their heads doesn't mean it isn't classy. Are most BBQ weddings classy? No. But, they can be. If that's what she wants, leave her alone. At least they're most classy than you are in these and most of your posts.
    *~allie~*

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_pavillion-outside-bbq-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:0f71c9d5-9c65-4072-82f5-ef2d4d95e4a2Post:3edb529b-7d72-4249-b0b2-708f9953952e">Re: Pavillion for outside BBQ reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]got news....barbecue weddings are NOT classy...fyi they could be fun, informal, etc., but NOT classy...just so you know
    Posted by dianenjnj[/QUOTE]

<div>Diane, do you know what classy means?  Informal and fun events can be perfectly classy.</div><div>
    </div><div>You can't honestly tell me that this event is not classy: <a href="http://www.stylemepretty.com/2009/12/01/diy-wedding-in-paradise-from-widdis-photography/" rel="nofollow">http://www.stylemepretty.com/2009/12/01/diy-wedding-in-paradise-from-widdis-photography/</a></div><div>
    </div><div>Why don't you share photos of your daughter's perfectly classy wedding to show us how it's done?</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards