Military Brides

Poll: help me pick a murder mystery dinner party!

For my birthday, we're going to host a murder mystery dinner party.  You purchase a kit, and cook a dinner, and then everyone dresses up and plays a part!  It's totally up my alley, and I've always wanted to try one.

I'm stuck between two - help me pick!

Option 1: "The Chicago Caper"

It is September 1928 in Chicago. The return of notorious gangster Harold "Hal" Coppone is expected to trigger a wave of violence. Instead, Coppone has disappeared, mystifying police and the criminal underworld. To the small group gathered in a speakeasy near Coppone's headquarters, the crimelord's whereabouts become only part of the mystery when murder is discovered. There's no shortage of suspects, motives, speakeasy glamour or gorgeous flappers in this crime tale.

You have received an invitation to S.P. Keasys place, a private club near the headquarters of notorious gangster Hal Cappone. Upon arriving, Hal is discovered murdered! Come in costume and assume the role of one of the suspects; MOLLY M. AWBSTERR (society dame from NY, the ultimate flapper in Chicago for the action, maintaining a most exclusive penthouse apartment), ERNIE ("BET A MILLION") G. AMBLER (Chicagos most colorful millionaire), "SILKY" M. ADAM (shady owner operator of the The Everlay Club, Chicagos most prominent private establishment), EDDIE ("SOCKS") R. GYLE (smooth fashionable and clever, avid golfer and gambler, owns the exlusive gaming house Green Tables where the affluent gamble), MALISSA F. ORRTHOT ("Scoop" made a name for herself as a crime reporter for the citys leading paper The Trumpet, her considerable beauty and lively charm helped further her career on both sides of the law), S. TREIGHTON HARROW (US District Attorney and chief opponent of the criminal element), ANNA MARIA CARLOTTA SASSINE (sultry voice, exuberant style and traditional blues renditions have earned here the nickname "Torchy", this smoldering beauty currently featured at the Green Tables), or BILLY ("THE KID") THROWER (star pitcher for the Stock Kings, currently holds the league strikeout record, off the field The Kid is fun-loving, hard-drinking, warm-hearted, lustful, brawling and hell-raising). Imagine your home is a 1920s speakeasy in Chicago as you and your guests enjoy hours of suspense and intrigue but mainly humor as you solve the crime over a dinner.

Option 2: "Pasta, Passions, & Pistols"

Put on your own mystery dinner theater: murder's on the menu, and everyone's a suspect in this grownup game for six to eight players. The game includes everything you need to serve up mystery, murder, and fun: a shopping list, menus, and recipes by cookbook author Sandra Gluck; eight party invitations and envelopes; place cards; secret clues; and, best of all, a murder mystery to solve. Invite your friends to dress up and play the roles of the devious suspects (each with his or her own character booklet with roles and background info): Rocco Scarfazzi, Mama Rosa, Marco Roni, Bo Jalais, Angel Roni, Tara Misu, Father Al Fredo, and Clair Voyant. Serve up a meal or light snack, play the (included) cassette tape with its introduction, summary of events, and solution to the crime. Find out who killed New York restaurateur Pepi Roni, and why.

Everyone's a suspect when murder is on the menu. The aroma of home cooked pasta is drifting from New York City's most popular Italian eatery, but something else is heating up the kitchen as the Restauranteur has been shot. Family and friends will gather to pay their respects, but one of the guests won't be shedding any tears. This mystery dinner party game for adults includes recipes, a shopping list, invitations plus a tasty murder mystery to solve. Each player dresses up and plays the role of a suspect to the murder.

Pepi Roni served up a mean plate of pasta until someone did him in.

Anniversary

Re: Poll: help me pick a murder mystery dinner party!

• IrishcurlsIrishcurls member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Love the idea of Chicago in the 20s!! My parents actually used to do this a lot with their friends, people really got into it and love it!! Have fun and take lots of pics!
  • edited December 2011
    I voted for the pasta one because A: I'm a total pasta addict, and B: the other one seemed a little more confusing to me (but I'm also kind of tired and didn't feel like reading a lot so I may have skimmed a bit and that could be why it didn't make sense to me). 

Seriously though. I Looovveee Pasta.
    Photobucket
  • melbelle24melbelle24 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think they both sound awesome. My parents have done a lot of those and they're always a blast. Personally, I think the '20s would be my pick, but if you don't have enough friends that would really go all out as far as dressing up getting into it, then I think the Italian would be easier for people to get into their roles.
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just bought Pasta, Passions & Pistols!  The deciding factors were a) it'll be really easy to make a pasta dinner for 8 people, and b) the costumes are easier, and thus more likely people will get into it!

Thanks guys!   You definitely helped!

Anniversary

edited December 2011
    Awesome! Have lots of fun!!!
  • tyleet87tyleet87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That sounds like SO.MUCH.FUN! :D

I voted for the Pasta one. Although the 20's has more style. ;)
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    Now I'm bumming because no one can make it.  I hate HATE having a December birthday!!!  Grrrr....

When I have children, I'm going to stop trying to get pregnant between mid-February and May so I don't have to inflict a holiday birthday on my kids.  I always hated it as a kid, too.

Should I just give up for now, and celebrate in January or something?

Anniversary

• tyleet87tyleet87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you really want these particular people to go, I would postpone it. You are allowed to celebrate your birthday a little later if it conflicts with schedules. ;)

It sounds super fun so you need to do it and then tell us all about it! :)
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
    edited December 2011
    That's a bummer, Cal. Is there any day in December that works for your friends? It doesn't have to be on your birthday to be in celebration of your birthday. Or just postpone it until the people that you want to be there can be there. No matter when you do it, you'll have a blast.
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_poll-pick-murder-mystery-dinner-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:6eb8fe18-f4b2-4057-ab7e-437092f80baaPost:386daf41-cb90-4851-9273-0070b0cf93ff">Re: Poll: help me pick a murder mystery dinner party!</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's a bummer, Cal. Is there any day in December that works for your friends? It doesn't have to be on your birthday to be in celebration of your birthday. Or just postpone it until the people that you want to be there can be there. No matter when you do it, you'll have a blast.
    Posted by melbelle24[/QUOTE]

Thanks!  Most of them are law students, so we'd have to wait until mid-January for all of them to be back in town, and before my birthday, they're all in finals.  It's pretty pathetic - I have about 10-12 people I'd actually want there, and I can't even get 6 of them on any given date between now and mid-January to attend!

Anniversary

edited December 2011
    Oh yeah, finals would throw a kink in that plan. Hmmm, well, how about the night of their last finals? If law school finals are anything like med school... just promise them lots of fun and alcohol, and they might jump all over it!
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto Mel!! do it on the last night of their finals!!
    Photobucket
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    My birthday IS the last night of their finals.  So much for that!

Maybe the previous Friday?  Some people might still have finals, but most will likely be done.  I'll try it!

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_poll-pick-murder-mystery-dinner-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:6eb8fe18-f4b2-4057-ab7e-437092f80baaPost:6626e809-c29d-41c3-adac-0876e0ca14e5">Re: Poll: help me pick a murder mystery dinner party!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My birthday IS the last night of their finals.  So much for that! Maybe the previous Friday?  Some people might still have finals, but most will likely be done.  I'll try it!
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

My MOH thew a murder mystery party for my Bach Party. 16 were suppose to come, when 4 actually did- we all had to play 2 roles. Somehow I still figured it out though. LOL

^ that being said make sure whatever day you plan it you have the right # of people otherwise it's confusing and not as much fun.
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    Shan, that's such a bummer!  I'm glad you guys were still able to do it, but that sucks that people didn't show.  That's super common here in Miami, and I hate it.  Last year, FI planned a surprise party for me.  Up until the minute we left the house, there were 15 people scheduled to come, and then on the 5 minute drive to the restaurant, about 4 people cancelled and another 8 just didn't show up.  It's so rude!!!  FI was super embarassed and apologetic, but it's not his fault, just like it probably wasn't your MOH's fault.  Some people just suck at that stuff.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards