Washington-Seattle

Is a Catholic Outdoor Wedding Possible?

I have grown up Catholic and so has my fiance. I would like to do a Catholic wedding and have it outdoors. Because most of my family is traveling from Wisconsin I was hoping to have the ceremony and reception at the same place for convinence, beauty, and it has always been a dream of mine to have an outdoor wedding. I know that it probably isn't possible but if you have any tips Please let me know!

Re: Is a Catholic Outdoor Wedding Possible?

• I think it is possible. 
    A married couple is like a permanent marker. Once you are with them you can never give them up OR let them fade away.. Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I actually just posted about this on the etiquette board. To be accepted by the church you have to be married in the church. I don't believe theroe's a way to get married outdoors and be recognized by the church. I'm open to ideas. Unfortunately I have nothing to offer you since I'm in the same boat.
  • LGM22LGM22 member
    First Comment
    I would ask your church or Priest. You may find a liberal Priest willing to marry in an outdoor location, or if there is an outdoor location that has been blessed with an Alter and the required traditions of the church to uphold the sanctity of the sacrament that too may be an option.

L
  • I think pulling this off would be rather difficult as the area needs to be blessed before hand and if you are doing a full mass wedding that would not work.

You might be able to have an outdoor noncatholic ceremony and do a covalidation ceremony later for your marriage to recognized by the church. However if your reasoning for not getting married in the catholic church in the first place is "I wanted to be married outdoors" I think the church may take issue with that.

You should talk with a priest to see what your options are-
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • doublenndoublenn member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I just saw a really long thread about this yesterday, but I can't recall what board. You can use the search feature to find it and get more answers. It seems that if a wedding isn't inside the church walls, it's not considered a sacrament, so it's not valid, and priests won't do it.

Like sparent said, you could get a convalidation, but you'd probably need a much better reason than "I want to get married outdoors"
  • I know in oregon at the grotto you can have a an outdoor cathlolic wedding but not sure where in washington. But it is possible to have a cathlolic wedding outdoors just get in contact with your church. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards