Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Huge wedding dress problem!

Hopefully someone can help me!

I bought a dress at Davids Bridal in late October. I loved it at first and it fit me perfectly. My dilemma is when it came in it did not fit me at all like it did the first time, and we ordered the same size I tried on. They said at the store it seems my chest has gotten bigger since I originally purchased the gown. It looks terrible, the top won't zip up and the middle section folds up and wrinkles because of the top. They made us take it home and said alterations would fix it later. I'm so worried it's not going to look good, my sister in law said it looked inappropriate. Needless to say I've shed many tears about the situation. I'm falling out of love with the dress and am not sure if I should try to return it. I have looked at other dresses and have found ones at the same store I love. Has anyone had any problems like this?? If so what did you do? My mom says it will work out but it's hard to believe that will happen. 

-Jessi

Here is a link to the dress I bought 
http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Strapless-Lace-and-Tulle-Ball-Gown-CWG352_Bridal-Gowns-Features-All-Gowns

Re: Huge wedding dress problem!

• Options
    A good seamstress will be able to make your dress fit perfectly.....don't worry about it. Also, sometimes the dresses in the store have been tried on so many times that they have stretched out some, which may have happened with your dress. Just take a deep breath, it will all work out.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• Options
    Just lose some weight if you are so concerned 
  • Options
    Wow.  I don't think she asked anyone about wanting/needing to lose weight and it's sensitive topic.

Gunby -
    I agree, a sample dress is often stretched out and may not fit as one that's been ordered and never tried on.   The dress is gorgeous!!  As PP's mentioned, see if a good seamstress is able to make it fit as it should.  It will all work out and I'm sure look great in the end!  Good luck!
  • Options
    Sorry I didn't mean to be insulting and I don't know what she looks like, but if she gained a few extra pounds causing her dress to no longer fit, it's not a big deal. She still has several months.
  • Options
    If you're able to make the back a lace up instead of a zip it should fit perfectly.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_huge-wedding-dress-problem?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:29bdf056-7221-4a38-8d39-5877112724fdPost:17c0b523-02f5-4025-876c-4060b6125909">Re: Huge wedding dress problem!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry I didn't mean to be insulting and I don't know what she looks like, but if she gained a few extra pounds causing her dress to no longer fit, it's not a big deal. She still has several months.
    Posted by LowerEastSiiide[/QUOTE]

The OP said it was too tight in the chest. That is a very difficult, near impossible place to lose weight from and when you lose, you can't control what area of your body you lose from. I lost 70 lbs and my boobs are the same size they were before!

OP: Don't go to DB's for alterations; find someone else via recommendations or word of mouth that has worked on wedding dresses or intricate pieces (with beading, lace, etc.) that does a good job and they can fix it and make it look great.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_huge-wedding-dress-problem?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:29bdf056-7221-4a38-8d39-5877112724fdPost:a450c5fe-803a-424d-9545-2e4d45b612a2">Re: Huge wedding dress problem!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just lose some weight if you are so concerned 
    Wow, aren't you a peach. Like PP, I too recently lost a lot of weight and my chest size did not change.  Losing weight may not fix the fit of her dress at all, but kudos to you for bringing up a touchy subject for some people.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_huge-wedding-dress-problem?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:29bdf056-7221-4a38-8d39-5877112724fdPost:a450c5fe-803a-424d-9545-2e4d45b612a2">Re: Huge wedding dress problem!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just lose some weight if you are so concerned 

I'm a size four, with no excess weight. Well, besides my chest. Not a whole lot I can do.

Thank you everyone for replying. I love the idea of making it a lace up back, thank you jagore08 for suggesting it. You all have helped calm my nerves a little. Thank you for your help.
  • Options
    Gunby - I also ordered an Oleg gown from DB, and the exact same thing happened to me!  I took it back into the shop and tried it on with a saleswoman, and then I tried on a sample -the same gown, in the same size, and it fit perfectly.  We figured out that it came in misized, and they were willing to trade the sample for the one I ordered.  Might that be an option for you?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards