Just Engaged and Proposals

How to announce your engagement

Ok, for my engagement story. We've been dating for 7 years total, I moved in with him for 4 years, then we moved into an apartment with a roommate for 2 years after that. I ended up in surgery just before we were due to move into our first apartment, and was staying with my mother for aftercare. 

On my first day in the apartment after the move I was joking with him about setting a date for getting married, as I sometimes did. He went along with the conversation, to my surprise, but I still thought he was just going along with my joke.  After going back to my parents, I told her mother of the peculiar conversation, whom then told my aunt.  He came to visit me the next day, as he did every day during my recovery.  I explained to him how I was upset, because I was joking about setting a date, and now I think my mother thought it is a reality and I didn't know what to do.

He then told me he wasn't joking about setting the date, he had been serious.  After spending those nights alone in their  apartment without me, he realized how much he couldn't live without me.  That it was suppose to be their apartment, that was just theirs, no one else's, and he wasn't suppose to be there alone.  He was going to propose, but since I already brought up the date, he just went with it.

I'm so excited I want to announce it on FB, but according to forum and most websites, many people dislike this. Most people, that I know of, do not read the announcement section of the newspaper regularly, so how would they know?

I was thinking of sending out an announcement of engagement in the newspaper, and my father wanted to post the announcement on facebook. Is this wrong?

Update: Well, of course I would notify my immediate family. I am currently waiting for him to talk to his siblings first before changing our status. I also set up a Wedding Planning group on FB, so I could share ideas off the newsfeed to those that want to hear about it.

Wedding Date: 7/20/2014 Met in 2001, starting dating in 2005, engaged in 2012.

Re: How to announce your engagement

• I don't think it's wrong.  We didn't put anything in the newspaper, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it.  I changed my status from "in a relationship" to "engaged" on Facebook, but I don't think I wrote a status update.
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I actually posted a video of the engagement and posted about it on facebook. We will be doing a newspaper announcement soon. I think you should do it how you want because in the end, its your joy. I do think though, that everyone should know you are engaged, wether or not they are invited.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_how-to-announce-your-engagement?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:7b717180-f6eb-4d1a-a2ba-fd6cc7461f4bPost:6142f6d5-7cce-4981-89f6-9cf5104168d8">Re: How to announce your engagement</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think it's wrong.  We didn't put anything in the newspaper, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it.  <strong>I changed my status from "in a relationship" to "engaged" on Facebook,</strong> but I don't think I wrote a status update.
    Posted by julie279[/QUOTE]

We did the same thing but if you want to do more, that's fine.
  • It's perfectly fine to change your status on FB.   I would caution about posting excessively about wedding updates for a few reaons....

1. You will have FB "friends" that will ask when they will be getting their invite that may not be on your guest list.

2. As exciting as the wedding planning is for you not everyone wants or needs to know every detail about your wedding.

3. If you have any family drama (like I do) posting about the wedding on FB can create more family drama particularly if you are friends with family.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's ok to make a general announcement. FWIW engagement announcements should not be mailed out.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We put it with a few pics on facebook. We didn't announce it in the paper. Only if you live in a small town is it necessary. I live in the heart of Dallas and no one cared at all that I got engaged.
  • I have some big news for you. Everyone in those forums is having their own wedding, and you're having yours. Announce your engagement the way the two of you want to, not the way someone else wants to.

For the record, I didn't do any formal announcement of our engagement. I changed the outdoor sign outside my bakery to say "I'm engaged!" and called a few choice people after the proposal, like family and close friends, and eventually just changed my facebook status to "engaged". By the time the newspaper announcement came out (which my mother submitted) most everyone already knew I was engaged. No one seemed to care one way or another how I announced it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Vacation tickers fibromyalgia Pictures, Images and Photos Visit The Nest! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Nest!
  • When you change your relationship status on Facebook, the new timeline makes a big deal for you! Haha. It is natural and honest to change your status and then people will figure it out without seeming like you are bragging or not including people or whatever. I agree with Kikirst33 in general as well.
  • I definitely think everyone you two know should be in the know about your engagement eventually, whether invited or not. How you go about sharing your exciting news is up to you and your FI. My FI and I made some calls after the engagement and during that week to announce the news to specific people but we waited a week to change our FB relationship status because of some other events which we didn't feel comfortable "overshadowing" at the time. Now, pretty much everyone we know knows the news either because we told them, FB informed them or someone else we know spread the word :)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • We could not wait to change our Facebook status which announced the fact enough. But we are both from the East Coast, residing on the west coast with practically our whole guest list residing on the east coast, so blogging about wedding updates and sharing the link to our wedding website is of necessity for our guests and bridal party to stay updated and informed. I am from a small town which probably already knows by now of the engagement from our FB announcement; however, folks like my grandparents and those who don't social network (yes, they DO exist) would really enjoy seeing a traditional newspaper announcement. So we will be submitting one for my hometown. Becoming engaged, especially if you've waited as long as I have to find and commit to the right man, is an exciting and amazing feeling which often gets lost in the translation of things, so announce the way you want. Be proud of this moment and leave the serious faux pas worries for the big day!
    Namaste, Stacey Lynn
  • I'd think that it would be necessary to inform important people in your life, and then just post a general announcement. We'll be informing our immediate families as soon as possible, and then posting a general "oh, ha ha" announcement on FB. (So I don't get flamed, we decided months ago that we'd get married, and have decided on a tentative date, but we live cross-country from each other, and he wants to wait to "make it official", ring/public announcement, until we can see each other in person in a few weeks.)
    June 2013 Signature Challenge
    Favorite Sports Team
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • We didn't make any sort of facebook announcement until our immediate families knew. Then we posted the relationship status update with a few pics. 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards