Second Weddings
Options

i need a bunch of diy suggestions!!!

this is my second marriage. my first ended horribly and now thanks to my ex i am not recieving child support for our 3 children!! yikes. so of course my wedding with my fiance will be small about 50 people and alot of stuff i am doing my myself. i have the party favors, the thank you cards, the water bottles with labels, i have the silver ware etc.
but what else can i do to my wedding special and inexpensive?? i want to perhaps do programs, but what do i put in them and how to i create them? any other ideas, please throw at me....
oh and no bridesmaid or groomesmen...just 2 flower girls and 2 ring bearers...our 4 combined children
thanks in advanced!!!
Photobucket BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker

Re: i need a bunch of diy suggestions!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am the anti- DIY bride.  But I did do the invitations and programs.  As long as you can use a basic computer you can do them and your invitations yourself. Staples (or other office stores) sell the kits that make it pretty easy. 

Having said that-- considering the amount of time/tension and stress this project costme- I would always recommend paying somebody else to do it!  I think I spent about $80 on both, plus my time and heartburn.  I think for about twice that, you can have them done professionally.  Wish I had done that.

If the $$ is too much, skip the programs.  They are all the same and no one but you thinks they are that special.  Not worth the money, time and aggravation.  Your guests will figure out whose the bride pretty quickly.  ~Donna
  • Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As for the programs, printing them out on fairly inexpensive parchment type paper and rolling them into scrolls is quite popular and cost effective.   I've known several people who have done that/are doing it and it seems quick, easy, and not pricey!
    10-10-10
  • Options
    LesPaulLesPaul member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our 4 teenagers were our WP too.  I got a kit at JoAnn to do the invitations and programs myself.  With the 40% off coupons it wasn't expensive at all, and they have templates to help you with the wording and arrangement.  They turned out nicely, and didn't take all that much time to print.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The list of DIY projects we did, which may give you some ideas, can be found at this link.  The real question, though, is what you would like to have at your wedding.  For example, favors and programs are never necessary.  We did programs only because we were having a Jewish wedding with many nonJewish guests.  Our programs included the entire text of our ceremony, with transliterations and translations of the Hebrew, plus explanations of the Jewish wedding traditions.  However, if that is not your situation, you may not want to bother with them.
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011

Beccabot4, it would help to know how you envision your wedding in order to give advice. Is it formal, informal, are you a flower person, what's your venue like, etc

I've already done:
    -cardbox,
    -table numbers,
    -personalized votives (I have templates if you like, just click on private message to get me your email address),
    -bridesmaid jewelry

I'm going to do:
    -my ceremony dress
    -veil
    -invitations (purchased, but wedding not til 8/27/11)

-programs

-centerpieces

-table runners

-ceremony decor (pew cones)

I'm getting my fresh flowers from www.costco.com, they have wedding packages with bouquets, bouts, corsages. I'm also going to buy fresh flowers in bulk from them for the centerpieces.

I am a DIY-BUDGET bride, so I'm doing as much as I can.

Unless you need any sort of explanation of your ceremony, I'd forgo the programs.

Good luck.

• Options
    cwcottagecwcottage member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a DIY bride as well. I debated with the program idea and decided to go ahead and so those. I have a really small bridal party but my venue is a meaningful one for me. An old historical hotel that my Grandmother worked at for 30 years when I was a kid so I spent a lot of my childhood there. I wanted to include the history of the hotel with pictures in the programs so the guests could have something to read while waiting and it would be fun and imformitive for them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards