Moms and Maids

do large bridesmaid dresses exist???

My sister is my maid of honor and we are having a really hard time finding her a dress.  I'm totally flexible about style and material.  All I want is some shade of blue.  No one seems to have anything to try on above a size 12 (She's more like an 18) We went to David's Bridal and it was awful!  The rooms had no mirrors or lights in them and it was dirty.  I don't want my poor sister to be miserable because she is uncomfortable in her dress.  She's a gorgeous girl and deserves to look fabulous!  How are you supposed to pick something without ever having tried it on? HELP!

Re: do large bridesmaid dresses exist???

• edited December 2011
    I'm a plus size girl as well, and I've had ok luck with David's bridal when it comes to customer service...but if you call around to bridal shops most of them should carry plus size dresses....but it doesn't hurt to ask what sizes they have a available to try on...Even trying on the small dress can give you can idea of what it will look like on because some shapes flatter others more or less...

I see you're in the DC area so I googled bridal boutiques for you

http://www.google.com/search?q=bridal+boutiques+in+the+DC+area&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
  • edited December 2011
    I used to work in a bridal shop and we only carried sizes 8, 10 and 12 in stock in both BM and bridal gowns. As far as I know this is pretty typical. It's ridiculous but not unusual as these items are usually custom ordered rather than bought off the rack. It does make it incredibly difficult to get a good idea of a dress' fit. Good luck....hopefully you'll have some luck at the places above!!!
  • anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    While searching for my MOH's dress, we found that boutiques that carry Alfred Angelo dresses often carry higher sizes in the most popular styles.  She was able to try on a dress and then just ordered it in the color wanted.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the tips everyone!
  • alisonsfoalisonsfo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The dresses are typically made to order.  Chances are your sister knows what styles show off her best figure features, so let her pick from online.  And it's amazing what some expensive undergarments can do, Spanks and extra supportive bras, any gal can go from flab to fab in 2 seconds flat.  Go for quality here, she might be spending more on the support than some dresses, but worth the investment.  

When you order try to work with a bridal shop that does the alterations, they know each of the dresses best.  For example if her biggest measurement is her hips, they probably know that the hip measurement shouldn't be the deciding factor on certain styles, or if it's her bust, they may know whether a style comes with an extra inch or two where it can be adjusted to her.

Good luck
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I believe Alfred Angelo dresses could work.  Friends of mine were married a few years ago and two BMs have a dress size in the high teens or 20's and they looked great in the ones by Alfred Angelo.
  • lybyanalybyana member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    CONSIDER LOOKING AT JCPENNY, SEARS, THE BAY, THEY ACTUALLY HAVE REALLY NICE DRESSES THAT COME IN ALL SIZES, BEAUTIFUL AND AT GREAT PRICES.... IM A PLUS SIZE MY SELF (SIZE22-24) AND THEY HAVE GREAT CHOICES
  • bablingbrookebablingbrooke member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    lybyana, no need to YELL.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Yes, of course they exist.

Look at David's Bridal and Alfred Angelo to start. 

• edited December 2011

I had the same problem with my sister. I finally found a dress that would look great on all my bridesmaids ranging from a size 2 to a size 28. Check out Jim Hjelm dresses. They come in a wide varity of sizes and I was able to find a dress that looks great on all of my friends.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards