Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Bridal Shower - What age is appropriate to be invited?

What age is too young for a bridal shower?  My fiance's sisters are age 10 and age 16.  Would it be appropriate to invite them?  I do not want to offend them, but I am not sure what goes on at a bridal shower since I am the first of my friends to get married.  Are they too young?  Also, would it be appropriate to invite just the 16 year old if the 10 year old is too young to attend? I don't want to offend anyone!  Also, not sure if this matters, but his sister's are not bridesmaids.  They are incorporated into our wedding in other ways, but not as bridesmaids. 

Thanks in advance for your advice and help! <3
image182 Invited! image108 Are ready to party!
image74 Are seriously missing out! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bridal Shower - What age is appropriate to be invited?

• Options
    blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It depends on what age you want to invite.

My family usually invites all girls in the family no matter their age.  Even boys are allowed until their older. (then it's back to just the girls)

Some people prefer adult showers or to have an age limit.

It's up to the host of the shower.
  • Options
    tlbattagliatlbattaglia member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I guess I've never thought to have an age limit.  If you want to, I guess that's up to you/whoever's putting it on.

Thinking of my shower, I think it would've been totally appropriate for girls those ages to attend.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The sixteen year old is definitely old enough for a shower. Invite them both and and let the mother decide if the 10 year old should go. A shower is pretty much like a birthday party. The guests watch the bride open gifts and then everyone eats and talks.

• Options
    edited December 2011

Thank you everyone, I will invite them!  The main reason I was asking is because it is their father that would decide if they attended...not sure if he is up on what goes on at a bridal shower bc neither am I!

image182 Invited! image108 Are ready to party!
    image74 Are seriously missing out! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My family invited small children (some were 6 or 7). A couple got bored and started running around the restaurant, causing a raucous, so that wasn't awesome. That would be my reason for not inviting really little kids--they get bored, and who can blame them? I think teenagers are fine to invite.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_bridal-shower-age-appropriate-invited?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:85d2769e-dd61-4529-8283-b5b86e96494fPost:47462440-8cff-419f-aeaf-16c2a4947c2e">Re: Bridal Shower - What age is appropriate to be invited?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you everyone, I will invite them!  The main reason I was asking is because it is their father that would decide if they attended...not sure if he is up on what goes on at a bridal shower bc neither am I!
    Posted by deanabuonincontri[/QUOTE]
    Usually you eat, play games, talk, open gifts. I think the only thing inappropriate might be if someone gives lingerie as a gift. But, like, that's not bad lol.

If you are worried there might be something too mature for them, let your host know that there will be children attending so you dont' want anything inappropriate. But I'm sure it'll be fine. Usually anything raunchy happens at the bachelorette party lol.
  • Options
    jerseydeviljerseydevil member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Because it is FI's sister, I would invite them both and the father can decide if the 10 year old can attend.
  • Options
    mandi921vhmandi921vh member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_bridal-shower-age-appropriate-invited?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:85d2769e-dd61-4529-8283-b5b86e96494fPost:07ef7244-a287-45d8-a6d9-e3109edb9e9a">Re: Bridal Shower - What age is appropriate to be invited?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It depends on what age you want to invite.<strong> My family usually invites all girls in the family no matter their age.  Even boys are allowed until their older.</strong> (then it's back to just the girls) Some people prefer adult showers or to have an age limit. It's up to the host of the shower.
    Posted by blush64[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto.</div>
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would invite them because they're your FSILs.  If they were cousins then I might say to skip inviting them.  But seeing how they're FI sister's, it would be nice if you invited them. 

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    bluedaisy2001bluedaisy2001 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There were seven kids under 5 at my shower and they all ran around and played and had a great time!  My shower was in a private home, not a restaurant so that would have changed things.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards