Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Deciding on a hair style

Does anyone know the best way to find a hairstyle they like? I want to have some options to present to the hairstylist when I go for a consult and not have to start completely from scratch.

I've tried looking online, but I can't find anything I like. I want a down hairstyle, a little curled and very 'princess-y".

Just wondering what you did...
Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Deciding on a hair style

• Options
    I can't decide either.  I am torn between a half updo (my hair is very thick and heavy) or a low in the back style.  I love the second but I like the ease of the first.  If you get suggestions.  Forward them my way :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I googled like crazy to find hairstyles that I liked.
  • Options
    I Googled as well.   Your stylist should have books for you to look through also.

Google "long wedding hairstyles"--quite a few come up.
  • Options
    I looked at tons of pics - not just wedding mags but of celebrities, too.  Clip out any and all picture that you like and think may work.

Also think about the weather and how your hair reacts to it.  I had originally planned to wear my hair half up/half down, but then I started thinking about how hot I would probably get dancing...  and my hair getting frizzier and frizzier.  So I went w/ a loose "up do," and I was very happy with that decision.
  • Options
    I actually found a lot that I liked through brides.com
  • Options
    I knew based on my wedding style I wanted a pin up look.  I also knew I wanted to fix my own hair.  So I googled tutorials for pin up styles.  I finally found one that looked good with my head piece.  Sorry I'm not much more help.
    MyBio
    Yes I am.....Living the Dream
  • Options

Definitely check out projectwedding.com -- TONS of hairstyle images there! 

I saved a lot of photos I found online, then compiled them into one document with notes on what I liked and why... That may be a little much, I know!  But I plan to share it with my hairstylist -- whom I trust greatly, and I think that's key -- and ask for her advice.  She knows what works well with dancing and holding up throughout the night, plus what's possible with my hair type. 

• Options
    The knot has some really great photos of hairstyles. I've gotten a lot of ideas and bookmarked quite a few photos, though I'm still trying to decide between 1/2 up or an up-do.
  • Options
    i recently had the same problem. i looked at bridal magazines. they have alot of dress advertisements where the brides have their hair down.
  • Options
    I was a googler! Good luck!
  • Options
    the best thing is to try a few looks, either diy, or with a hair trial, what you love on someone else may not work on your hair or face shape, so experiment. a freind of mine looked at a bunch of you tube videos and taught herself a different hairstyle every day for a week. then she put on the dress and took a picture, at the end of the week here and a couple freinds shared a glass of wine and picked a winner. it was a lot of fun and now she can do a ridiculous amount of cool stuff to her hair!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_deciding-hair-style?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:5c471baf-3d02-4d9e-b0fc-8210bbf2d112Post:39f944fb-f97e-4f17-98a6-df0b78eff360">Re: Deciding on a hair style</a>:
    [QUOTE]I looked at tons of pics - not just wedding mags but of celebrities, too.  Clip out any and all picture that you like and think may work. Also think about the weather and how your hair reacts to it.  I had originally planned to wear my hair half up/half down, but then I started thinking about how hot I would probably get dancing...  and my hair getting frizzier and frizzier.  So I went w/ a loose "up do," and I was very happy with that decision.
    Posted by CCBelle[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I agree with this completely! I love to dance so that will definitely be a factor in choosing my hair style. So far between Google and this site there are a lot a images to choose from. Just try to google different terms. Gets a lot of different photos. Hope that helps. </div>
  • Options
    I googled red carpet ( oscar, emmy, golden globes, etc.) pix, found someone who has a face shaped like mine & then googled just her.  Then I went thru 21 pages of her pix till I found multiple shots of 2 styles that I like.  Good Luck!!
  • Options
    You just have to look through hundreds of pictures!  I have gotten my hair done on several occasions and I do find that when I show up to the hair salon and descibe the dress I am wearing that evening they can do their thing and make me look gorgeous!
    Heather and Tom 10.10.10 10.10.10 - Tom and Heather Sitting on the Dock
  • Options
    i'm doing the you tube diy thing too!! Someone at work said try this, i googled it, found some videos and have been trying them!! Still haven't found the one but every day I'm one step closer!
  • Options
    I based it on how I usually wear my hair.  Since I normally have it up, I plan to have it up on my wedding day too.

Throw in that it'll be summer, and crazy hot, I know I'll more more comfortable temperature-wise with an updo.

As for the exact style, I found a look in a magazine by chance that I love.
  • Options
    I have been having issues with this too. The InStyle wedding winter 2010 issue had some good websites.

-Haircomesthebride.com
    -stylebell.wordpress.com
    -modelbride.com
    -celebsalon.sheknows.com

Hope this helps. Haven't looked at then yet but definitely plan on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards