Outdoor Weddings

Seating outdoors

I am having my wedding in a National Park in Canada and they don't allow for decorating or seating to be placed so to not disturb nature. Is is alright to expect guests to stand at 20-30 minute ceremony? We are having collapsible benches brought in for the few guests that are elderly and disabled. 

Also how do you organize people when they are standing?

Re: Seating outdoors

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_seating-outdoors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:666Discussion:d2fc8a99-4be7-4a13-8c0f-319a3361cbc5Post:7c4fcea9-8085-4b25-a243-d47750cdd640">Seating outdoors</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am having my wedding in a National Park in Canada and they don't allow for decorating or seating to be placed so to not disturb nature. Is is alright to expect guests to stand at 20-30 minute ceremony? We are having collapsible benches brought in for the few guests that are elderly and disabled.  Also how do you organize people when they are standing?
    Posted by JoelandLeann[/QUOTE]

Sounds lovely.  I think as long as they are aware before they get there and dress appropriately then it's up to them.  20-30 minutes is not that long.  I wear heels to work and stand that long in the kitchen getting a cup of coffee when I run into someone I want to chat with.  My walk from the parking lot is almost 1/4 mile, too. 

As for organizing them - I think I might ask my brother to sort of guide people around.  I'm not one for bride/groom's side of things, but he can sit the parents, elderly and infirm in the chairs (we get 10 for our 40 person wedding) and just guide them to "you'll be able to see from here, leave an aisle here."  As for kids, I'm just not inviting them.  I know standing outside would be too much for people with infants and my friends' 8yo will want to check everything out, not just stand there.  I am going to try to arrange for sitters at their hotel.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_seating-outdoors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:d2fc8a99-4be7-4a13-8c0f-319a3361cbc5Post:497b4f2b-4bc9-4081-95df-800477c78abf">Re: Seating outdoors</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do not think that swearing in a public forum is proper etiquette. If you disagree with my opinion that is your right and I'm glad you have that choice. However name calling isn't needed. I fail to see how my wedding or anyone else's on these boards are so incredibly offensive to you all that it warrants <strong>name calling and stating I'm a bad hostess</strong> or self absorbed. All of those comments are pretty sweeping considering you all know absolutely nothing about me or my life or even my first name. If you disagree that is fine but do so respectfully, offer opinions without condemnation, how hard is that? 
    Posted by Vasquezbride[/QUOTE]

Just because people are pointing out the obvious, doesn't mean they are being rude or calling you names.

When hosting an event, a good host takes into account their guests' comfort and places it before their own needs.  Having a seat for a 30 minute ceremony is a comfort issue, so if you aren't providing them just so YOU can have the location YOU want, then yes, you are being a bad host in that aspect, no matter how you try to explain it away.

That doesn't even necessarily mean that your guests will mind (some may not, some probably will, but won't say anything to you about it), or that your entire wedding is ruined.  It just means that you were a poor host for one portion of your wedding.

Of course, it's your wedding, and you can plan it any way you like.  But when people ask if it's okay to not provide chairs, they have to be prepared to hear that the answer is no.  You can't just go calling everyone mean because they didn't validate your poor hosting choice....
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards