Registry and Gift Forum
Options

registry on invitations?

I searched a few pages for this topic but couldn't find anything recent:

My experience is that it is custom to put where the couple are registered at either on the invitation or put a card in the envelope with that info. i just read the email i got with the poll that more than half of the poeople who answered said it is tacky.

Why?

I would be confused if I were sent an invite without that info. I realize it is an invitation for guests to come to the wedding, not to buy gifts...but they should know where you are registered and no one is forcing them to buy things off the registry. i just think it is courtesy to let them know. Guests aren't going to want to go on a hunt for where the registry is - why should they have to call people to find out? This just confuses me.

Re: registry on invitations?

• Options
    erolliserollis member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2010
    NO! No no no no no! Do not put registry info in the invitation! I received invitations with a card saying where the couple is registered at and found it very helpful. BUT it is very tacky and I thought just that, tacky. There are other ways for guests to find out registry information. I think I received one or 2 invites without registry information and I had no problem asking where they were registered. That phone call lasts all of a minute. So not hard to do.

In the Save the Dates/ and or Invitations you can enclose your wedding website url. You can have the places you are registered at in the website along with anything else that wold be helpful for your guests. If anyone asks you can flat out tell them "I am registered at X". If a guest is curious they will ask someone who is involved in the wedding. It is that simple. If you are having a bridal shower whoever is hosting it can spread the word that you are registered at X.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Registry information on wedding invitations is tacky because it presupposes the guest will get you a wedding gift, when, in reality, it is perfectly acceptable (though not common) to come to a wedding without a gift.  It is different for shower invitations because at showers, the whole point is to "shower" the bride with gifts.  Putting registry info on a wedding invite comes across as gift grabby to most people.

It's really not hard to find a registry.  I've never failed to find a registry by checking Macy's, Bed Bath and Beyond, Crate and Barrel, and Amazon's websites.  And if for some reason they're registered somewhere uncommon, I'd either ask the couple, their parents, or the WP where they're registered, or Google it. 
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    TACKY - Don't do it! I agree with pp, it's not hard to find a registry, and most people will ask you where you are registered anyway. It's just tacky to include it ON or IN with the invite. However, IMO you can include a wedding website on the invite and on that website have registry info...

• Options
    It's rude because it suggests that gifts are expected.  Plus, why mar your pretty invitations with registry cards that are basically store ads?  They're fine on wedding websites since guests look there to get additional information and shower invitations because the purpose of the shower is to give gifts.

Guests will make a phone call or do a quick search online to find out where you are registered.  If I do a search for "gottahavashorti registry" (FI's name is more common) a registry search engine with a link to our registry is the first thing that pops up.  Most people are also registered at BBB or Macy's, which have searches on their websites.

Registry information was not in the invitation for our shower and we still got a ton of registry gifts - people just asked where we were registered when they RSVPed.  For the wedding, people have asked us directly, found it on our website, and I believe they've asked my mom as well.
  • Options
    It's ok to put them on a shower invitations since the point of the shower is to shower the bride with gifts.  But never put it on the wedding invitation, 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think it is tacky becaus eit seems greedy. The best way for your guests to find out where you are registered is by word of mouth.
  • Options
    It's extremely rude because it assumes that someone is going to buy you a gift.  You can't expect one.  It's also rude because it's telling people WHERE to get the gift.  Gifts are given of free will and choice.  The person should not be told where to purchase the gift.

That some aren't offended is fine.  Others often are by such a practice.
  • Options
    I think my family is the kind that wouldn't be offended if they received invites with the registry info. I have gotten invites from cousins and aunts and uncles with the registry info, so maybe it really just depends on the family...we Milwaukeeans must not be offended easily. I'll have to talk it over with my fiance and parents to get their take on it.
  • Options
    It cannot take more than one minute or two to find a registry online. It is really not that difficult of a "hunt."

An invitation is NOT an invoice for a gift. It is asking a loved one to come in participate in a memorable day. Gifts should be such a low priority, there is no motivation to mention them because that entitlement just isn't important.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards