Wisconsin

Help! What should we do? Child drama!

We decided to not have children at our wedding next month. We addressed our invites to just the parents of young children. "Mr. & Mrs. John Smith" no, and family or children's names if they were under 17. 
That being said, almost everyone realized the no children policy. 
Except one...
The couple wrote their child's name in on the RSVP card. What do we do? How do I tell the couple, older cousins of my fiance, that there aren't any children invited? They are the only ones that have done this so it doesn't make sense to set up a babysitter/area etc, for other children that might tag along.

Please help, no idea how to go about this!

Thank you in advance! 

Re: Help! What should we do? Child drama!

• edited December 2011

I would recommend calling your fiance's cousins and being honest with them. You don't have to justify why you're having an adult only wedding, but instead you can kindly tell them that you're glad they can come, but there will be no children at the wedding.

Maybe say something along the lines of: "Hi ______, we just received your invitation and are so thrilled you can make it! We noticed you added on a guest for "child's name". We are having an adult only weddin and won't be able to accomodate "child's name". I apologize if there was any confusion."

If they respond "We can't come unless we bring "childs name" with us." You can reply back with "That's too bad.  We really were hoping to have you both join us. Let us know if we can be of any help finding a babysitter."

If you and your fiance aren't close with the couple, maybe you could have one of your fiance's immediate family members break the news.

• chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_wisconsin_should-child-drama?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:118Discussion:3cfaa58d-0664-440a-8458-9fadbb152da4Post:7514749b-ab44-43a6-b502-0f4e673c5f15">Re: Help! What should we do? Child drama!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would recommend calling your fiance's cousins and being honest with them. You don't have to justify why you're having an adult only wedding, but instead you can kindly tell them that you're glad they can come, but there will be no children at the wedding.   Maybe say something along the lines of: "Hi ______, we just received your invitation and are so thrilled you can make it! We noticed you added on a guest for "child's name". We are having an adult only weddin and won't be able to accomodate "child's name". I apologize if there was any confusion."   If they respond "We can't come unless we bring "childs name" with us." You can reply back with "That's too bad.  We really were hoping to have you both join us. Let us know if we can be of any help finding a babysitter."   <strong>If you and your fiance aren't close with the couple, maybe you could have one of your fiance's immediate family members break the news.</strong>
    Posted by swtheart1685[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything except the bolded.  Don't make his family be the bearers of bad news.  Just tell them unfortunately there is not room for children and leave it at that.  Tell them you hope they'll be there, but if not, you will miss them.
  • less16less16 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards