Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Suprise weddings...Please give input..I need help!

So i have been reading up on this website and others on couples who did suprise weddings and im very intrigued.  my fiance and i have been engaged almost 3 years now and also have a daughter who will be 3 soon. we would like to do a very small wedding with only immediate family and close friends.  i would love to do the idea of a suprise wedding for the guests where they are thinking they are comming to something else, however it turns out to be our wedding!  However i am having a very hard time thinking of what to use as my cover story!  Any one have any ideas of how to get everyone in one place, but not be too obvious???

Re: Suprise weddings...Please give input..I need help!

• Options
    Just so you're aware this idea has been brought up before and is not going to go over well.  You should not lie to your guests.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm trying to figure out why you would do this?
  • Options

well from what i had seen from other stories online it was a sort of fun idea, the way it was presented in the articles at least....And the reason i was thinking of doing it was just to have sort of a  small, unique wedding i guess, something our guests wouldnt expect. 

• Options
    I think if it fits the bride and groom's style a surprise wedding would be fun! Don't think too much about your cover story, if you do you'll talk to much and people will see right through it. Just call everyone and say you've missed seeing everyone together and you'd like them all to come over on whatever day, or it claim to have something special to tell them...
  • Options
    I hate suprises in general, so a suprise wedding sounds kinda dumb to me, and I would feel bad as a guest if I didn't have enough warning to even bring a card or a camera.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Options
    I dont personally think I would like this idea as a guest, to each their own i suppose
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    Here's the thing...you're guests aren't going to be as enticed to come if they think it's just a back yard bbq - if something, like cousin billy's baseball game, falls on the same afternoon people who are important to you may skip your wedding (because they don't know it's your wedding).  However if they had known it was your wedding they would surely skip cousin billy's baseball game.  This could also cause some upset if people choose not to come and find out later that it was your wedding, because had they known it was such a special occasion they would have made more effort to come.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

The big problem with surprise weddings is, unless people know that it's your wedding, there's a chance that they will miss it, or be late or something because some other obligation that they feel is more important than "just a BBQ" (Or some other cover story) ... and then be upset when they find out it was your wedding, because they would have attended if they had known.

If there are people you really don't want to miss it, you need to tell them what you're doing.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• Options
    It's not my style, but I think it could be fun under the right circumstances. I wouldn't think of it as "lying" to my guests any more than I think I'm "lying" to my parents when I asked them to come to my house for brunch with my family and my sister's family but am in fact planning a suprrise 50th anniversary party for them.

That said, you really need to know your guests and what will make them absolutely come to an event to come up with a cover story. Would they all be sure to show if they thought it was a birthday party for your child or your FH? An anniversary party for your parents? A mother's day get-together? Thanksgiving dinner? What will ensure people come depends on your particular situation.
  • Options
    Thank you for the input, definatley needed another point of view on the whole idea in general i guess!  back to the drawing board on this one .....
  • Options
    I love to dress up for weddings.  But if I thought I was coming to a BBQ or a party, I would probably be in jeans.  I would hate that I was at a wedding in jeans, and that I didn't have my camera.
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • Options
    There are some things I think are pretty important in peoples lives. Getting married is one of them. If I know that what I'm being invited to is a wedding, I'll try my best to rearrange my schedule. If it's something I don't think I'll be too missed at or too disappointed to miss, I'll pass. My point is, you might not get the turnout you want and some people might get hurt they missed it. I personally don't see the point in surprise weddings, but it is what it is.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_suprise-weddingsplease-give-inputi-need?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:4815c7f0-5d11-4761-976b-ef0df6ffc326Post:8f299ed6-1afb-4ba8-889d-7d85cd0475e6">Re: Suprise weddings...Please give input..I need help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think if it fits the bride and groom's style a surprise wedding would be fun! Don't think too much about your cover story, if you do you'll talk to much and people will see right through it. <strong>Just call everyone and say you've missed seeing everyone together and you'd like them all to come over on whatever day, or it claim to have something special to tell them...
    </strong>Posted by ginx1188[/QUOTE]

Just caught this. I've seen this suggestion a few times for surprise weddings ... and honestly, I hate it. The first thing that will spring to most people's minds is "Oh, she's pregnant". Missing somebody's wedding? I'd feel horrible about. Missing their pregnancy announcement? Not so much.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_suprise-weddingsplease-give-inputi-need?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:4815c7f0-5d11-4761-976b-ef0df6ffc326Post:bd1589e7-a1f9-4243-b452-f9fb94361d04">Re: Suprise weddings...Please give input..I need help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's not my style, but I think it could be fun under the right circumstances. I wouldn't think of it as "lying" to my guests any more than I think I'm "lying" to my parents when I asked them to come to my house for brunch with my family and my sister's family but am in fact planning a suprrise 50th anniversary party for them. That said, you really need to know your guests and what will make them absolutely come to an event to come up with a cover story. Would they all be sure to show if they thought it was a birthday party for your child or your FH? An anniversary party for your parents? A mother's day get-together? Thanksgiving dinner? What will ensure people come depends on your particular situation.
    Posted by tenofcups4me[/QUOTE]

I'm in agreement here, although if I were a guest at a 'surprise wedding' I would probably think to myself "wth?" 
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Options
    You know your friends/family better than we do, but I would hate to be a suprise wedding guest.  I would feel awkward about not having brought a gift, I would hate to show up with no make up and a ponytail (what I'd usually wear to a family BBQ) and then all of a sudden people are taking pictures...   I'd also hate to find out it was a suprise wedding if I had passed on the BBQ to do something else.
  • Options
    I think that a surprise wedding sounds really awkward and more AWish somehow than a regular wedding. As a guest I would feel really strange and bad that I didn't bring a gift and I think that I'd probably be a little ticked off to think I was invited to one thing and be tricked.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Our friends did this and the cover was that it was their engagement party. 

It was kind of a bummer though, because we didn't go because it was out of town and we had a different wedding to go to that weekend.  If we'd known the engagement party was actually a wedding we would have gone to it.
    panther
  • Options
    I don't see anything wrong with this idea as long as you won't get bent out of shape if people miss the wedding because they weren't aware that it was going to be a wedding. 
  • Options
    A co-worker of my fiance did this last summer as their "engagement party" and it was delightful. Their only complaint was from her mom who said she wished she'd gotten her hair fixed. We sent a card afterwards, we were already semi-dressed up because it was an engagement party and they had disposable cameras so I wasn't upset I'd forgotten mine at home.
    A couple from my high school also pulled a surprise wedding at their "ten year anniversary", the groom invited everyone they thought he was going to surprise her by proposing and instead they got hitched. It was all people talked about at our reunion a few months later.

• Options
    I think it honestly depends on the couple and the circumstances. I had a cousin get engaged and plan a co-ed bridal shower. It was outside with tents and tons of food and the day was just so wonderful. Everyone kept telling my cousin (seriously like 10 people told them) that they should have just had an officiant come over and do the wedding that day! It would have worked. 
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Preview!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker

122image 110image 12image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards