Second Weddings

Lace/beading vs. Bows? (Traditional vs. Trendy?)

Dress opinions needed!  All along I have wanted a mermaid silhouette with sweetheart neckline and lace, maybe some beaded details.  I am in love with this:

Now all of a sudden while browsing I have started having a new obsession with BOWS... lol... for example:

the above all in ivory or something like this from David's Bridal (can't save the pic sorry):

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Strapless-Mermaid-Gown-with-Oversized-Bow-Detail-48885D_Bridal-Gowns-Features-All-Gowns

I think the first look is more classic/timeless... opinions?  =)

Re: Lace/beading vs. Bows? (Traditional vs. Trendy?)

• Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    My dress was lace and had a bow:-)   It's Watters "Harmony."  Here are some shots from our professional photographer (you can click to see a bigger version of the picture, these are kind of small).

DSC_9275
  • I like the first one better, but seriously, I do not have the body type to pull that off.  Both are beautiful dresses. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • I love the first dress you have pictured, and I like the DB link one also.

I would go and try them on to be sure.  What looks good in print does not necessarily look good on the person wanting to wear it.

Anniversary
  • I would think you would have to have one heck of a bod to pull off the big bows with a mermaid dress.  If you have that, I say go for it!  I think I'd probably prefer the first one, but they all are really pretty dresses that I would never be able to pull off myself.  Laughing  You go!
  • I agree that your best bet is to go try on dresses and make sure that what you're envisioning is going to look good on your body.  I prefer the first one, but I'm not a big bow person.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I agree with those that said to try them on before deciding. You may have a vision in your head that you want this style, then something will catch your eye and you'll change your mind entirely.

I'm not a big bow person either, I think the first one, with the lace & beading is a bit more classic.

Something I thought about when shopping was this: when we, or our kids, look at these pictures, will we look classic or outdated? I'm just a person who prefers to have a timeless look (which is probably why the clothing I own can still be worn after 10 years and doesn't look "dated").

But in the end it's a personal decision.
  • Maybe you could do both. The first dress is beautiful. Maybe add a bow just below the bust or at the thigh?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm loving the second with that big bow, but that might be because its a similair cut to my dress! Mine has no bow though and it has straps with lace coming out from the rouched form fitting bodice. So I'm probably loving the bow dress due to the cut more than the bow.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_lacebeading-vs-bows-traditional-vs-trendy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:10248ace-897c-46ac-bc45-8eaa41f593f5Post:2f9ef607-294b-4d85-820f-e164dac8efaa">Re: Lace/beading vs. Bows? (Traditional vs. Trendy?)</a>:
    [QUOTE]My dress was lace and had a bow:-)   It's Watters "Harmony."  Here are some shots from our professional photographer (you can click to see a bigger version of the picture, these are kind of small).
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

Avion22 just wanted to say thanks for sharing the photos.... absolutely lovely!! :)
  • Thanks to everyone..... I know I may change after trying them on!!  Glad I am not totally wacko for loving the bows..... but I am definitely leaning toward the more timeless first dress style... that is just me!  Hoping the mermaid style works on me... I had a ball gown first time around..... I want something totally different and much more casual (yet still elegant)... other options for dresses that would work for a casual wedding?  would love your suggestions and input!!  TIA! :)

• I'm an stupidly huge lace fan
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards