Attire & Accessories Forum

Will a corset look pretty added to my dress?

I thought corsets looked pretty on other dresses I tried on and when I fell in love with this dress I felt like it was missing something on the back. I was told corsets also help pull you in more aside from alterations and that they are easy to add. Right now the dress is just a zip up back. It's a ruffled organza ball gown with ruched bodice and jeweled belt separating the two.

Just wanted to get some other opinions before I have it altered.
Thanks!

Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Will a corset look pretty added to my dress?

• I think it's pretty now, but i can see a corset working, as well
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_will-a-corset-look-pretty-added-to-my-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:5d80e90b-5e7a-436c-b76c-6bf693aaa541Post:205fe5a6-b9dd-47ef-893f-53ca1c021ff6">Will a corset look pretty added to my dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thought corsets looked pretty on other dresses I tried on and when I fell in love with this dress I felt like it was missing something on the back. I was told corsets also help pull you in more aside from alterations and that they are easy to add. Right now the dress is just a zip up back. It's a ruffled organza ball gown with ruched bodice and <strong>jeweled belt separating the two</strong>. Just wanted to get some other opinions before I have it altered. Thanks!
    Posted by redlavausf[/QUOTE]

tHE BELT is the only thing I would wonder about.. how will they attach that to the back?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Personally, I think your dress looks beautiful the way it is and I worry that a corset might compete with the drama of the skirt in the back.  I'm not a big fan of corsets though, so I might be in the minority. Also, you might want to doublecheck with your seamstress that there is enough length to include a corset. I feel like the ones I have seen usually go down a little further and that would run into your skirt. Gorgeous dress- I'm sure whatever you choose will look great!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it would work well. My only question would be how would you do the belt? I can imagine a belt over a corset looking odd, but you could also have belt ends be sewin into seams at corset edge.
  • I love corset back dresses, and had every intention of buying one, but I also fell in love with a dress with a zipper. It will look nice, but I would talk to your seamstress about how complicated it may be. My dress is organza and the seamstress said it is so delicate it would be a risk to add it. Can you order the dress from the designer with a corset?

• My dress has a corset back and I'm also adding a belt to it.  I was told it's very easy to sew the belt into the dress so it doesn't go over the corset in the back.

I love the look of corset backs!
  • I think a corset back would look great with that dress.
  • I don't care for corset back dresses.
    I love your dress the way it is, I think there is a lot going on back there.  I would be concerned the lacing may compete too much with the ruffles.
  • QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2012
    I generally love corset backs.  But, I think with how short the bodice on your dress is, the corset back will look somewhat, stumpy.  For lack of a batter word. 
  • I called it a belt but it's actually sewn on the dress, not separate. I got my dress from David's Bridal. Just trying to decide what I want before I go in for alterations. When I picked out the dress in the shop the consultant said it would look pretty with a corset back and not be a big deal to add it. However I don't know if she was just trying to sell the dress to me or maybe she doesn't know what it takes for alterations.

I'm a visual person and I loved corsets on me with other dresses so naturally I thought I would just add it to my dress. But I think I am concerned if I do that I might not like the end produt once I see it changed - as in maybe it is too much since the skirt is so ruffled. But I guess I can ask the seamstress how it will affect the belt and waistline area.

Thanks for the comments!
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I know I'm a little late, but the alterations people at David's Bridal should have a corset piece that they can place in the back of your dress, so you can see what it will look like. They did that for my BFF and it was really helpful.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards