Hawaii
Options

Maui Wedding Vendor Review

Hi ladies! We finally got married at Merriman's restaurant on September 12 after what seemed like forever planning it.  This board has been an amazing help to me so thank you to all the ladies who have contributed.  I hope this review isn't too long. Please feel free to ask me more questions (laramjackson@gmail.com) if I don't provide enough information.

Just a bit of background info...we have been together for 12 years and have 2 kids and neither of us really wanted the big wedding at home so have alway said a fun family holiday with a nice dinner would be perfect for us. We told a pile of people they were welcome to join us and were VERY surprised that 30 adults and 14 kids would travel all the way from Western Australia to attend our wedding! We had an amazingly unforgettable month away with everyone!

Just 1 piece of advice for new brides that I would have found useful...you really need to pick your wedding venue first. I chose a wedding planner, thinking they would help with deciding on a venue, but the venue is really a very personal choice and you really need to review all the suitable venues yourself (I did all research over the internet) and decide on the best for you.  We initially booked Olowalu but then changed to Merriman's. Having it at Merriman's meant I could use Danielle and didn't actually need an outside planner, but I had already paid for the planner so used both.  This was mostly not problematic, but on the day, both companies thought the other was doing something so it was slightly disorganised with some minor set up issues (I was told this later and wasn't aware at the time of the wedding which was great).   

Anyway, here is the important stuff:
A Paradise Dream Wedding: When I started planning I thought I would definitely need a wedding planner (being so far away and I hadn't found this board at the time) so I chose this company which had combined photgrapher/wedding planner package.  Jo was my planner and she was fantastic. Always very helpful, very responsive..ALL communication was via email (we never spoke to each other, this was easiest for me).  She had some great advice and recommended some wonderful vendors.
The photgrapher Arien was really nice and seemed very professional.  I don't have the photos yet but can let you know when I do.
Hair and makeup Maui MiRa:  This lady was fantastic!!!!! Her communication was excellent, her prices reasonable in my opinion. But most importantly, she did an unbelievable job with my hair and makeup!  Everybody commented on what an amazing job she did. And it lasted all night despite the pouring rain. I would most defintely recommend her!
Merriman's restaurant: This place was AMAZING!!!!! It exceded all expectations.  The location and view were unbelievable. The food was just incredible. The service was fantastic. Every guest at the wedding commented on how beautiful it was and how good the food was.
We had the wedding on the deck which was stunning.  The ceremony weather was perfect, but as soon as the sun set, it poured down for virtually the whole reception which was pretty disappointing as we all had to huddle under a small cabana (I didn't hire extra shelter).  This was definitely the wettest time during our week in Maui, but you can't control the weather and we tried not to let it affect our experience.
The only things I would change about the wedding would be: 
  • to have a lunch time wedding on the deck at Merriman's.  During the week we were on Maui, the day showers were all brief and light. If it rained in the evening/at night it was definitely heavier.  Also a lunchtime wedding would allow everyone to enjoy that fantastic view for longer.
  • the music on the deck after our singer left....if i did it again, I would have a playlist on an iPod. We just used the restaurant music and I couldn't really hear it to be honest.
Minister: Kimo Kirkman: We absolutely loved this man.  We only met him on the day, but he did a really heartfelt ceremony. Many many people were in tears....it was honestly beautiful!
Musician: Marvin Tevaga:  I didn't see many reviews of Marvin and was guided by Danielle's recommendation and we were VERY VERY happy with this choice.  He is a really lovely guy who has a beautiful voice and sang beautiful songs.  I wish we had booked him for the entire reception.  I would love to hear him again.  He was also the most reasonably priced musician that we were offered.  
Flowers: Bella Bloom:  Initially (for a few months) was communicating with Dellables but after many months (despite me telling them my budget at the beginning) they told me that they had a $1200 minimum flower order, which was over what I wanted to spend.  So I started researching others and Danielle recommended Bella Bloom.  Karen was fantastic! She always responded quickly, got as much info as possible and provided a quote within budget.  My bouquet was just beautiful and I was really happy with the other flowers at the venue.
Transport: Maui executive: We were very happy with this company. Commuication was good, prices were the best I could find and the staff were professional. The vehicles were good too (we had a shuttle to and from venue plus a vehicle to take us).

Anyway, that's all I can think of for now. Sorry for the long post, but I hope it helps some of you brides-to-be in planning your special day! 

Re: Maui Wedding Vendor Review

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards