Plus-Sized
Options

XP: Decided on a dress!

So I made the decision. After going back and forth between two, and in the mean time trying on about 10 more dresses just to be sure. I realized there was one dress i kept going back to. And its actually not the one that everyone else told me they loved.  but when i saw it again in person it was stunning!!! (plus, i couldn't get over the fact that the other dress was silk so it looked so sloppy at the end of the day on brides)

The only issue is, the sample was a 4, and i couldn’t even get it on at all. So I tried on similar styles- and figured I would order it. Now my mom is apprehensive to spend all this money on a dress that i haven't actually had on my body. I still love it and i know its the one- so i am not sure how to convince my mom. I even offered to pay half because i know its the dress. I keep dreaming about it and staring at the photo.

So.... here it is:
It's a Justin Alexander. The body is actually silk duponi, and not satin which is really what I wanted (I was anti satin for an August wedding, and there is No AC in the church!)

I am going back to David's because they have a dress there with a similar silhouette to try on again to show my mom the shape- and then i hope that will convince her this is teh one and we can buy it on Saturday :) (When i tried on teh one at david's everyone oooh-ed and ahh-ed but it just wasn't the one)

the woman at he bridal salon also told me i can order extra Swarovski crystals to match the brooch in the middle so that i can make a hair piece from it, and the best part of the dress is the back, but you can't see that. It's all buttons all the way down- and every 4th button is covered in crystals.

I'm really excited Ijust want to order it!! and see it again!
www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image

Re: XP: Decided on a dress!

• Options
    It has POCKETS?!?!
    LOVE it. 
    Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Its beautiful! The cut looks like it would be great on any figure.  I say if you love it, don't let anyone talk you out of it.  Good Luck!
  • Options
    Yes! It totally has pockets. I didn't even realize that until I saw thisphoto.

I know its the one beaucse I love it so much I want to sleep with it tonight and hug it and cuddle with it
  • Options
    It's gorgeous, I love it! My dress also had buttons all the way down the back, which I loved.

The front actually kind of reminds me of the front of my dress, with the symmetrical ruching meeting in the center: (name on name hanger censored out :) )

I thought it was very slimming and gave me a great defined waist. I'm size 30 so I need any help I can get ;)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_xp-decided-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:37a872e5-586e-4a61-958f-cfa37d2479f8Post:2f9fb605-d899-45e1-9579-296c8b26f7ad">Re: XP: Decided on a dress!</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's gorgeous, I love it! My dress also had buttons all the way down the back, which I loved. The front actually kind of reminds me of the front of my dress, with the symmetrical ruching meeting in the center: (name on name hanger censored out :) ) I thought it was very slimming and gave me a great defined waist. I'm size 30 so I need any help I can get ;)
    Posted by AmethystMSU[/QUOTE]

You're totally right, the top is very similar.
    I tink it will be slenderizing because of the ruching going in alternating directions at the top. The lace is beautiful in person

but my mom is afraid the bottom is going to "Create" more volume.
    I totally think I don't want a bottom that is tight on my stomach like a lot of aline dresses are- i want to eat!
  • Options
    Very pretty! Maggie Sottero's Rachel is very similar, if you have a MS retailer near by and want to try on something similar to your dress before you buy it. 
  • Options
    That dress is amazing!  Congrats!  And I ditto the PP's that love the pockets!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    love it!!
    also, buttons AND pockets? double win in my book
    imageimage
    PS Sig Challenge: Rings
    Sept 2011 Sig Challenge: First Kiss
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_xp-decided-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:37a872e5-586e-4a61-958f-cfa37d2479f8Post:12953f4a-533c-4d30-834a-d581d45cff1f">Re: XP: Decided on a dress!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Very pretty! Maggie Sottero's Rachel is very similar, if you have a MS retailer near by and want to try on something similar to your dress before you buy it. 
    Posted by sunnydays630[/QUOTE]

thanks ! I actually havent seen the rachel at any place I have been, and they are all maggie retailers.
    i was discussing this w the consultant at last nights place. she said its big over here to carry maggie. They are just so popular and everyone bases their designs off them- so its hard NOT to be trying on a maggie gown. So its ironic that i haven't come across that dress yet.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_xp-decided-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:37a872e5-586e-4a61-958f-cfa37d2479f8Post:8459319a-22ad-4f0a-aa41-94f79e1e7c79">Re: XP: Decided on a dress!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: XP: Decided on a dress! : You're totally right, the top is very similar. I tink it will be slenderizing because of the ruching going in alternating directions at the top. The lace is beautiful in person but my mom is <strong><u>afraid the bottom is going to "Create" more volume. </u></strong>I totally think I don't want a bottom that is tight on my stomach like a lot of aline dresses are- i want to eat!
    Posted by i2012do[/QUOTE]
    I found the biggest princess dress I could find in my budget. I figure if my butt is already big, I shouldn't have to worry about the dress looking out of place on me ;-)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_xp-decided-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:37a872e5-586e-4a61-958f-cfa37d2479f8Post:88f85a74-7e35-4b89-a164-53c4c30577f8">Re: XP: Decided on a dress!</a>:
    [QUOTE]It has POCKETS?!?! LOVE it. 
    Posted by StephLove12[/QUOTE]

Agreed. And I've always been leery of strapless (for me), but it's so pretty.

Also, Steph, what color nail polish are you wearing in your sig?
  • Options
    ha Thanks! I feel like yes, a  dress can flatter you and make you look thinner- but I'm not fooling anyone. And why should i get a ruched aline dress with no volume if thats not what I WANT.

I mean alterations can do miracles and i am sure once its all altered etc, it will look great.
  • Options
    OMG I love the pockets! It's definitely a gorgeous dress. Congrats!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_xp-decided-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:37a872e5-586e-4a61-958f-cfa37d2479f8Post:0c38144c-e5cf-4dd9-a4c5-5ee306e77319">Re: XP: Decided on a dress!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: XP: Decided on a dress! : Agreed. And I've always been leery of strapless (for me), but it's so pretty. Also, Steph, what color nail polish are you wearing in your sig?
    Posted by divinemsbee[/QUOTE]

I'm actually have spaghetti straps added to appease my mother. And, i think they will go with the top actually- we are going to add a bit of lace trimming to the strap as well. 
    plus it will keep my from pulling up the dress. Even when a dress is tight to my bodice i have a "bad habit" (as my mother says )of pulling at strapless things.

Actually, the strapless was MORE flattering on me ,than dresses that had straps. I looked like  afootball player in dresses with straps- beacuse it was bringing the attention there.
  • Options
    It's beautiful, and I agree with PP that said don't let anyone talk you out of it, if you truly love it.  :) Good luck!!
    April 2012 March Siggy Challenge - Honeymoon!! Costa Rica
    Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 158 Invited
    image 129 Are Party Rockin!!
    image 23 Will be missing out!
    image 6 Can't find the mailbox!
  • Options
    It is gorgeous!!! Love that it has pockets! That's awesome! Haha I need pockets in my dress since I will need tissues. I know i will tear up!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_xp-decided-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:37a872e5-586e-4a61-958f-cfa37d2479f8Post:7836ae05-1bbe-4155-997e-0d92f46c185a">Re: XP: Decided on a dress!</a>:
    [QUOTE]ha Thanks! I feel like yes, a  dress can flatter you and make you look thinner- but I'm not fooling anyone. And why should i get a ruched aline dress with no volume if thats not what I WANT. I mean alterations can do miracles and i am sure once its all altered etc, it will look great.
    Posted by i2012do[/QUOTE]

honestly? i think a little volume makes the waist look smaller.
    imageimage
    PS Sig Challenge: Rings
    Sept 2011 Sig Challenge: First Kiss
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_xp-decided-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:37a872e5-586e-4a61-958f-cfa37d2479f8Post:0c38144c-e5cf-4dd9-a4c5-5ee306e77319">Re: XP: Decided on a dress!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: XP: Decided on a dress! : Agreed. And I've always been leery of strapless (for me), but it's so pretty.<strong> Also, Steph, what color nail polish are you wearing in your sig?</strong>
    Posted by divinemsbee[/QUOTE]

<div>Essie-- Power Clutch. It's my go-to for winter.</div>
  • Options
    so pretty! my junior prom dress had pockets. HELLO HANDY!
  • Options

there is an Alfred Angelo dress that has the same shape, maybe good to try it on to get the idea... Its style 2119. It also has pockets.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards