Massachusetts-Boston

Changing last name?? HELP Please!

Hi. I posted this on the general etiquette board because I wasn't even aware that there was a local board!! I am hoping some MA Ladies can help?? Thanks!!

I don't know where else to post this. If we chose to take our FIs last name or to hyphenate it, do we HAVE to change our last names with SSA, banks, work, etc. Or can we just keep using our maiden name with things? 

I have read different opinions on this. When is our last name LEGALLY changed? When we sign the marriage certificate or when we go to the SSA?  
Is there any "deadline" as to when someone should change their last name w/SSA, bank, etc.  I know for tax purposes it could be an issue, but can someone still file under their maiden name since they go by the ss# anyways?

Re: Changing last name?? HELP Please!

• I'm having the same worries as you, and here's what I've heard so far:

1. Change it with SSA. You can't do it anywhere else until then.
    2. Once SSA is done, go to the RMV and do it there.
    3. Change it everywhere else after that.

So... it seems pretty self-explanatory, but like you, I also don't understand when you can officially call yourself by your new last name. My mom's friend (who has gotten married within the last ten years) said you can use your new last name right away, but I doubt I'd want to be signing checks with a different last name than what's listed on my checkbook... I dunno. It's confusing as heck to me.

Also, I read somewhere that if you don't alert SSA and the IRS, they won't link your new name to your old credit score, meaning you may have credit issues.

Wow, this really wasn't helpful, was it? I'm sorry!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_changing-last-name-help-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:729bc837-22d1-4d67-bec2-0bb60b08783aPost:be995fb6-8047-4c07-88dc-9238f5483041">Re: Changing last name?? HELP Please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm having the same worries as you, and here's what I've heard so far: 1. Change it with SSA. You can't do it anywhere else until then. 2. Once SSA is done, go to the RMV and do it there. 3. Change it everywhere else after that. So... it seems pretty self-explanatory, but like you, I also don't understand when you can officially call yourself by your new last name. My mom's friend (who has gotten married within the last ten years) said you can use your new last name right away, but I doubt I'd want to be signing checks with a different last name than what's listed on my checkbook... I dunno. It's confusing as heck to me. Also, I read somewhere that if you don't alert SSA and the IRS, they won't link your new name to your old credit score, meaning you may have credit issues. Wow, this really wasn't helpful, was it? I'm sorry!
    Posted by Joanna2385[/QUOTE]

It just seems so much easier to keep my maiden name legally & then to use FIs last name socially. That's how we put it when we applied for the license this morning. I was struggling with it so they are holding it for me until tomorrow if I want to hyphenate or anything.
    My concern is that if/when I change my name w/the SSA that means I will HAVE to change it immediately with my job, bank, etc so that my name matches with everything when filing taxes.  Not really in the mood to deal with the hassle of going through all that right now. 
    But on the flipside, I don't want to pay $165 to change it later on.  I also just read something that if you wait more than 2 yrs after you get married you have to provide some additional proof of your former name?? What a headache this whole thing has become!!
  • It's legally changed once you go to Social Security and then you should shortly there after change it with the DMV and your job for tax and identity reasons.  Currently I'm legally one thing with SS and waiting to get my new SS card so I can change everything else.  I still sign my maiden name because I have no proof (that I carry with me) to show my new last name if the cashier or whoever needed to check my ID to match my signature.
    Anniversary
  • If you want to legally use your maiden name then don't change your name anywhere and don't put on your marriage license that you will be taking his name last name If you change your name at one place, you should change everywhere. You can't be two people at once
  • There is a service that helps you change everything at once... it's www.missnowmrs.com

My friend gave me a gift card to the site (she used this to change her last name when she got married) and it's so super easy! They notify SSA, banks, RMV... everywhere! It'll save you time if you go through this service.

Just a thought if you decide to change your name.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_changing-last-name-help-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:729bc837-22d1-4d67-bec2-0bb60b08783aPost:ad4892a3-f06f-4670-a754-030691a6e2ce">Re:Changing last name?? HELP Please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you want to legally use your maiden name then don't change your name anywhere and don't put on your marriage license that you will be taking his name last name If you change your name at one place, you should change everywhere. You can't be two people at once
    Posted by Kfudge0714[/QUOTE]

I know a few people who have done this. They've put their husband's last names on the license but still haven't changed their name anywhere else... & they've been married for years. Not sure what their reasons are for not doing it yet, but they haven't.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_changing-last-name-help-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:89Discussion:729bc837-22d1-4d67-bec2-0bb60b08783aPost:aa787610-21bb-4af1-b91a-e5c9a5b915a3">Re: Changing last name?? HELP Please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's legally changed once you go to Social Security and then you should shortly there after change it with the DMV and your job for tax and identity reasons.  Currently I'm legally one thing with SS and waiting to get my new SS card so I can change everything else.  I still sign my maiden name because I have no proof (that I carry with me) to show my new last name if the cashier or whoever needed to check my ID to match my signature.
    Posted by jaime10285[/QUOTE]

Alright, that makes more sense to me! I suppose you could use your new last name socially but not officially until everyone is informed. After the SSA and RMV are all set, the rest sounds like the same type of minor inconvenience that moving brings: trying to remember everyone you ever do business with!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Massachusetts you can change your name legally by just using a new name. So you could change it tomorrow to anything you'd like. Social Security doesn't "legally" change anything. They just keep track of wages being reported to them- thename change with them just makes it easier. If you report to themanew name, as the resultof a marriage they will take it withno problem. Just make sure that you change your wages with your employeras wellsothatthenames/amounts jive. In order to cash your paycheck you will have to change the name on your bank accounts-again a pretty simple procedure. The onlyplacethat sometimes gives you a hard time, although they are not suppose to is the DMV. GenerallyI tell people to change accounts, paychecks etc and maybe even get a cc of your marriage cert before going into them so that you will have "proof"of your new nme if they give you a hard time. The reg
  • Sorry for the typing errors!!!
  • OP I know I answered this on the other board for you but ironically am from NH/MA area too and figured I'd share the info here for others as well :)

I work for SSA so I can lend a helping hand. Typically a marriage certificate/license shows the intended name you will be taking. However, until you change your name through SSA it is not a legal name change. Pretty much every other agency pulls from our systems so once you change it with us it's best that you change your license, banks, employer's records, etc within a reasonable amount of time (I typically suggest no more than 30 days). Otherwise you will have conflicting information on different agency records and may receive letters to change one ASAP. As far as changing the name you will need the marriage certificate with the raise seal or stamp from the town/city and a driver's license or state ID. You can always contact your local SSA office or registry if you need guidance :) Hope this helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
    Centerpieces! Feb13 Siggy Challenge
  • edited July 2012
    I just went throught this. It was easy. I went to the SS offcie and waited about 15 minutes, provided a marriage certificate (which she gave back to me) and got it changed. SS gave me a letter which I brought to the RMV and got a new license there. From there I was able to change everything else. Banks were about a 10 minutes process with marriage certificate and new license once it came in. Credit cards/Utilities/schools/work I was able to do online, many requested that I scan and email the marriage certificate or other proof-some didn't require anything. I received new cards from banks etc within about a week. Whole process was not more than 2 hours-I made a list of everything I wanted changed and just did a few each night starting with the important stuff. It was really a much simpler deal that I thought it would be and no one kept my orriginal marriage cert (which I was concerned about). I started using my new name on non-legal stuff right away (signing for ups packages, personal corrispondence) but as far as signing checks etc. waited until my license and bank had changed over.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards