Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Choosing two entree options - do you need chicken??

We are having a plated dinner, and to keep it within our budget we can only have two entree options.  I know that traditionally when this happens, the two options are chicken or beef.  However, my fiance and I really love fish, and there are two fish options we love - either the slamon or the flouder stuffed with crab meat.  Is it too weird to have the options be beef or fish?  Will people even notice or care if there is no chicken?

Thanks, I appreciate the response!

Re: Choosing two entree options - do you need chicken??

• Options
    Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know I particulary don't like red meat, hence why I go for chicken..with fish, make sure that there aren't people highly allergic to it..especially if you go for the crab. Most people aren't allergic to fish, but they are crab
  • Options
    unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are having beef and fish. we don't really like chicken for formal dinners and we figure people eat chicken at so many weddings and at home. we like eating steak and fish when we're out and we figure if people don't eat red meat they can have fish. out of those fish options i vote for flounder. salmon is pretty distinctive and some people don't like it. we're doing halibut for our fish.
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you go for the fish, I would also do beef and forget the chicken entirely.  The flounder stuffed with crab would probably be your best option. 
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  We are also going to have a vegetarian option, so if people are unhappy with the fish and beef then they can definitely go for the vegetarian.

Is flounder less fishy tasting than salmon?
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_choosing-two-entree-options-need-chicken?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:7f6b340b-6444-47fc-9621-cee1cd2701a9Post:fe6dea3a-bffb-4bfe-89ac-f3605ffe069c">Re: Choosing two entree options - do you need chicken??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks!  We are also going to have a vegetarian option, so if people are unhappy with the fish and beef then they can definitely go for the vegetarian. Is flounder less fishy tasting than salmon?
    Posted by alexandkatiemelville[/QUOTE]

Salmon has a distinct flavor to it.  Fish that have a red or pink color to it are active fish that move a lot - think of them as the athletes whose flavor is pronounced.  Flounder just kind of floats along and doesn't get much of a workout so the meat is white - more the couch potatoes of seafood. White fish in general is milder and usually needs some flavoring added to it - probably why you were offered crab stuffed flounder.  Salmon you can just bake with a little butter or oil and salt and pepper.  A good piece of fish isn't going to be fishy tasting but salmon has a distinct flavor that I think is delicious, esp. when it is smoked.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, good fresh fish doesn't actually taste fishy! I'd dump the boring old wedding chicken and do the beef, fish or veggie. That's plenty of choice!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP Beef, Fish and Veggie is perfect. I think the veggie will catch all the non-red meat and non- fish ppl. Personally I hate fish even the smell makes me sick- but even I can have a bite or two of salmon. IMO salmon tastes more like chicken than fish.
  • Options
    laurenbergherlaurenbergher member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

It's your day, order what you want!  If someone doesn't like it, well then, tough! 

Flounder is a lean, flat fish like sole, while salmon is a fatty fish.  This is why it gets the "fishy" reputation.  Flounder is delicious--it's delicate and light, and with that crab meat it sounds just amazing.  I think it will be a big hit.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards