June 2012 Weddings
Options

Name during Honeymoon?

Might be a silly question: For those of you taking a honeymoon and changing your name, what last name will you be using, or should be used: maiden or new?

We leave for our honeymoon the Tuesday after the wedding and I won't have time to get a new social security card. My cards and driver's license will still have my maiden name on them so it seems logical that I would have to still sign my maiden name. The only legal proof we will have will be the marriage license and I'm definitely not bring that with!

What name will you be using?

Re: Name during Honeymoon?

• Options
    My name will not legal be changed until we get back from our honeymoon. So I will be using my madien name.
  • Options
    I don't think anyone we encounter on our honeymoon will want proof of our marriage. My name won't be changed yet either, so I just plan on using my maiden name for that week, and for however long it takes to get all the legalities squared away. If someone calls me "Mrs. New Lastname" I'm not going to correct them, but other than that I don't see it being an issue, ya know?
  • Options
    When i booked our cruise, the lady who was booking our cruise said it would be easier if i didn't change my name until after the cruise bc it might be confusing to everyone handling our tickets, boarding passes etc. It just makes it not as confusing but to me my name will be changed the moment i get married. just not changing it on the paperwork side until i get back from the honeymoon.
  • Options
    No one will be checking our ID's on my honeymoon. People can start addressing me as Mrs. NewLastName as soon as I say I do. I don't care that its not technically legal yet. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_name-during-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:fb04ed76-957a-4ee5-b871-d3a2bcb94de4Post:428898ba-0f28-494e-b4a8-18e5c3ed0dfc">Re: Name during Honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My name will not legal be changed until we get back from our honeymoon. So I will be using my madien name.
    Posted by kristin183[/QUOTE]
    This, it's one less thing to worry/think about. After we get back I will do the process of changing my name. 
  • Options
    What I'm mostly concerned about is signing any receipts from my debit card since the card will still have my maiden name on it. I was leaning towards having to sign my maiden name but just wanted to check for confirmation in case there was a loop hole I might have missed. Thanks for in the input!
  • Options
    If we book any excursions where I need to use my card and sign, I will use my current name. Or if I have to sign any safety waivers, I will use my current name. I'll change my name when I get back.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Your name should be the same as what it is on your passport (ie your maiden name) - if you're leaving the country anyways.....otherwise I'd say it doesn't matter.

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I won't have changed my name either, but I do plan on being called "Mrs. FI's last name." I think people will just assume/know to do that since they'll know we're on our honeymoon. 

North Carolina does give a fake "marriage license" that they said to bring on the honeymoon in case we needed to "prove" we're newlyweds (you know for the free stuff - which is exactly what our guy told us!)

• Options

I'll be using my maiden name as well as we will be leaving that Monday following the wedding  and all of my info still has my maiden name on them.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

We will be going on our honeymoon the day after we get married. With this being said I will still be going by my maiden name.

• Options

I'll be using my current docs for everything so I'm not changing things over until we get back from the HM. Less confusing.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    michellep1michellep1 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Sometimes when we're on vacation people call me Mrs. HisLastName anyway, and I never correct them (guilty pleasure!) so I wouldn't correct anyone on my honeymoon!  In my eyes I become Mrs. HisLastName once we say "I do". 

To answer your question, I'll be using my maiden name on everything until we're back from the honeymoon.  I don't need to deal with travel document fiascoes on my first relaxing week in months!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic June 2012 Siggy: Favorite Engagement Picture! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Carebear62584Carebear62584 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Ditto everyone else. 
  • Options
    DO NOT USE YOUR MARRIED NAME UNTIL IT IS LEGALLY CHANGED!!!!!!!!!
    You will not be able to pay for things, you will not be able to get on a cruise or a flight. 
    I am using my maiden name for everything.

First Look
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    The rings wouldn't be enough proof? Or the pink love cloud we are floating on? Sheesh!  I'm not changing til after, but on our marriage license it had a spot for what my new name would be, so I think I only need to change my license. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the input! Maiden name it is.

On a side note, once my name is changed, it's going to be nice to no longer have to spell my name immediately after saying it. First name I'll still have to but last name is super common! I actually have two people in my wedding party with my new last name that are of no relation to my FI!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_name-during-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:fb04ed76-957a-4ee5-b871-d3a2bcb94de4Post:72cf1e22-cd5b-4775-b400-6220285815a7">Re: Name during Honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]DO NOT USE YOUR MARRIED NAME UNTIL IT IS LEGALLY CHANGED!!!!!!!!! You will not be able to pay for things, you will not be able to get on a cruise or a flight.  I am using my maiden name for everything.
    Posted by peachykeen26[/QUOTE]

So true.  I'll only socially be using my FI's last name (then H's) until December when I legally change it.
  • Options
    cmg317cmg317 member
    First Comment
    I had planed on waiting until after our honeymoon, but since we aren't leaving until 3 weeks after the wedding, he booked our flights with my new name. I hope my ID comes in on time.
  • Options
    I am waiting until after our honeymoon to change my name.  We leave Sunday the 17th, after the wedding being on Friday the 15th.  There is no time in between,
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm waiting until after the honeymoon to change my name. So I'll legally be my maiden still but there's no way I'm going by that socially after we say I do.

Megan, our of sheer curiosity, why are you waiting until December to change your name?
  • Options
    Our honeymoon is not until late July, but I don't want to risk getting the name changed on my passport in time. We already booked the tickets in my maiden name so that's what it will be!

I will just make everyone call me my married name :)
    June 2012 Brides

Planning Bio
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Legally won't change my name till after the HM, we leave the day after our wedding. 
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_name-during-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:fb04ed76-957a-4ee5-b871-d3a2bcb94de4Post:4f5ce953-4dbd-45aa-95d8-e3ff00d700aa">Re: Name during Honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE] Megan, our of sheer curiosity, why are you waiting until December to change your name?
    Posted by midgetthemighty[/QUOTE]

For the simple fact my driver's license expires then and I don't want to pay for it twice.  Beyond that, it's easier for my school to change my name after I've started than while they are getting stuff in from me such as financial aid.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards