Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

March 2012 Opinions

I think I've narrowed my month to March 2012.  I'm planning on a reception outside of downtown New Orleans.  

One of the weekends is the SEC basketball tournament in the city, would hotel blocks be ridiculously expensive?

The other weekend would be St. Patrick's Day... not sure how I feel about it, I know St. Patrick's Day in NOLA is usually popular and busy around town.

Thoughts?

Re: March 2012 Opinions

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd prefer the SEC tournament over St. Patty's Day...st. patty's day is just too filled with annoying drunk people. 

my wedding here is during the national rotary convention, not fun! haha 
  • Options
    zoopsiedaisyzoopsiedaisy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding was this past March and I had to choose between the two same weekends.  I went with the SEC weekend, but the difference is that I had part of the elite 8 for the south, 4 teams, not the championship.  On Thursday our hotel was hosting one of the schools and it was crazy (in fact I was hoping the team staying there would lose because it was so busy), but the room prices were still reasonable.  I inquired a year ahead of time and if you call the New Orleans visitors bureau they will send out a blanket email to a bunch of hotels and then they will get back to you with room rates for both weekends.  It's also partly what helped me decide because St. Patrick's weekend was more expensive, believe it or not.  Good luck!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've found some from St. Patty'd weekend to be more expensive as well, but I've gotten a few e-mails from hotels saying they are completely sold out.  The 10th is just a better option for us but I'd like to give my OOT guests a downtown hotel option too.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My daughter had originally picked March 10th for her date and our wedding planner told us months ago that she was having trouble getting reasonable hotel room blocks for that date.  We moved back to March 3rd. 
  • Options
    djrckstardjrckstar member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am considering March 17 in the Quarter (all other dates are taken).  I am concerned about the parade that night and locals being able to get downtown. 
    Thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards