Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Make your own album??

My fiance and I interviewed photographers who were ridiculously expensive. We hired one who gave us a great deal and told us that the bulk of the price was someone charging to make the album, but we can do that ourselves. I looked online, and there are many places where you send in images, and they make your album for you - has anyone done this and have any advice?

Re: Make your own album??

• Options
    morainemommorainemom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have made several albums thorugh Shutterfly.  You upload your photos to their site and then pick a book size and how many pages you want.

You can either let Shutterfly arrange the photos on each page or layout each page yourself. (I do the layouts myself.)

The Shutterfly books are not the fancy, flush-mount albums that the professional photographers do. 

But, if you want to make a flush mount album yourself, Mpix comes highly recommended.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much - I'll definitely check them out. Maybe I"ll use them to make an engagement album just to get an idea......
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I made both my guest book and a photo book of my wedding for my mom for mother's day through Blurb.  You can view my guest book in my planning bio.

I also did a professional quality album for my husband's parents through Somerset.  This not a book, but a high quality album just like you would get from your photographer.  I have a detailed review in my married bio.

Mpix is also popular but when I looked, it did not provide templates which is what I wanted.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As a professional I'd just like to chime in and note that there is a world of difference between a photobook from blurb or Shutterfly and a professionally designed and crafted wedding album.

(Just to give you an example of why it's so expensive, my cost on one of my most popular albums that I make is over $1,000. That's not what I charge my clients, that's just what it costs me to get the album produced. And that's with me doing the design myself, which takes about 12-14 hours in addition to editing all the images for the album specifically, which is at least another 15-20 hours of work. Good photographers are expensive because they put in the time to produce quality work.)
  • Options
    HaveAGoodDayHaveAGoodDay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    f you are considering making your own wedding album, take a look at ...

http://www.wedesignalbums.com

You provide the images (either upload online or mail a high resolution CD).  They will design a custom album for you.  Once you approve the final design, the images are printed, the album assembled and shipped directly to you.

These are not the magazine style pages, these are the hard mounted pages bound in a flushmount/coffee table style album.  You can choose from many sizes, colors and even an acrylic cover.  These are the same albums many photographers provide to their brides.  These books are of very high quality.

Everything is done here in the U.S., so the turn around time is 2-3 weeks total.  You can also call and talk to a real person if you have any questions.

You will not be disappointed!

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards