Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Weekend Chit Chat

Wohoo, finally the weekend is here!  What's everyone up to this weekend?

I'm spending most of today preparing food to freeze for dinners throughout the week.  Staples is also having a clearance sale on several chairs and there's a pretty nice looking one on sale for $59 (from $150) I might go check out.  Other than that, I am bombarded with school work.  One assignment and three tests this week... boo!

If you are a Costco shopper, tell me why you think paying for the membership is worth it.  We're considering it but I'm not sold on it yet.
Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Weekend Chit Chat

• edited December 2011
    I'm not a Costco member, but a Sam's Club member. When I lived in the "O.C." in SoCal a several years ago, I compared the same items at both Costco & Sam's Club and Costco was literally $1-$4 HIGHER on each item I compared. My mom and stepdad have a part-time hobby business so I am on their business account. I like it cause you get the extended hours.

If you have the freezer space, Costco/Sam's can be awesome. I only go grocery shopping twice a month or once a month. You can still buy fresh fruits and veggies there, just be aware of expiration dates when buying in bulk. I don't even shop at a regular grocery store anymore. Be sure to pick up the reuseable totes - they make life SO MUCH EASIER when carrying in the house the bulk items.

As for my weekend - nothing. I can't afford to do anything - so watching my normal HGTV & TWC. The job I interviewed for last week said it will be another week before they will me know if I got it or not. Sigh. Tired of living 900miles from the FI. Exciting, I know. Smile
  • angelsong21angelsong21 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, Cindy!  We actually have a brand new Sam's that just opened near us so that's a big plus since I think the nearest Costco to us is in Plano.  We dont have a lot of extra space in our apartment but we'd do whatever we need to if it meant saving a decent chunk of change.  I really appreciate your feedback. :)

Wow, I didn't realize you lived 900 miles from your FI.  We were long distance until a year and half ago so we were about 600 miles apart and I thought that was rough as it was.  I feel like it was well worth it though.  I think our communication skills are a lot better since all we had for so long was just talking on the phone and e-mails.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Oh yeah. We've been long distant dating since day one. I virtually "live" on these DFW boards, but I'm actually in the Atlanta, GA area, my FI lives in Austin, but we're having the wedding in Corinth. Eventually, we will make our way to actually live in the DFW area. One of my BMs actually lives in Allen. I love that area. I've had 2 jobs fall through for me this year in Austin, and the 2nd one they actually gave me a New Employee packet, my dad moved 3/4 of my stuff from GA to TX (including my bed, dresser, etc), then they send me a letter saying "We have decided to continue our search." so I'm now sleeping on an air mattress and living out of suitcases. LOL It's NOT fun!!

What are type of degree are you working towards in school? I'm in an online class for Contingency Planning, and I'm a horrible horrible procrastinator on homework.
  • AshJohnson30AshJohnson30 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I love Sam's club! Costco is not only more expensive but they are pretty strict. I was buying canned goods for a food drive with my mom (the costco member) and they gave me a hard time because i handed them the card and paid.  The costco bakery is good though their marble cakes are delicious!

I'm trying to book appointments with videographers (exciting!) other than that I'll be watching football all day!

cindyj23 - HGTV is a pretty amazing station!!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_weekend-chit-chat-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:75de5122-a3b6-4089-bc23-73adefe8501ePost:23a733f0-c0c5-45a5-85d1-54d53820900c">Re: Weekend Chit Chat</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love Sam's club! Costco is not only more expensive but they are pretty strict. I was buying canned goods for a food drive with my mom (the costco member) and they gave me a hard time because i handed them the card and paid.  The costco bakery is good though their marble cakes are delicious! I'm trying to book appointments with videographers (exciting!) other than that I'll be watching football all day!<strong> cindyj23 - HGTV is a pretty amazing station!!</strong>
    Posted by AshJohnson30[/QUOTE]

Yes it is!! I LOVE Sandra Rinomato (sp?) on Property Virgins. She and Genevieve Gorder are my favorite people on the station.

One of the other Knotties sold me on Marc Roberts Videography - <a href="http://marcrobertsvideography.com/index2.php?v=v1" rel='nofollow'>http://marcrobertsvideography.com/index2.php?v=v1</a> We just have to wait till after the Christmas holidays before we can book with him since our wedding is 2 yrs out. I can't wait to meet him in person!

I'm currently looking for favor bags for our candy buffet. I want big bags! Those little bags are a teaser! The bag material isn't that big of a deal so if you guys know of a place to check, let me know. :)
  • AshJohnson30AshJohnson30 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

Sandra is my fav too! I would love for her to be my realtor.

I think I've seen some pretty inexpensive bags in The Knots shop but I haven't looked too hard at candy buffet supplies yet (we aren't for sure if we will have one).

Marc is actually one we've contacted! We are going to meet with at least 3 so hopefully we can get that booked soon.

• edited December 2011
    We have both Sam's and Costco. I don't really notice a difference between them, but H much prefers Costco. I can't wait until we have enough room that I can buy more (nonperishable) things in bulk.

We had a several-hour-long meeting with a buyer's agent today ... our first step in buying a house! I'm a bit overwhelmed. I want a house, I really do ... but I'm struggling with the reality of how much one will cost.

Cindy, H and I were long-distance most of the time we were dating, and I was looking for a job here the entire time. I know how frustrating that is ... but I cannot imagine if I'd had a job back out like yours did! That's awful!
  • aeliza06aeliza06 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_weekend-chit-chat-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:75de5122-a3b6-4089-bc23-73adefe8501ePost:8fba13b5-0299-4a59-bf34-5461fc9f3a4e">Re: Weekend Chit Chat</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have both Sam's and Costco. I don't really notice a difference between them, but H much prefers Costco. I can't wait until we have enough room that I can buy more (nonperishable) things in bulk. <strong>We had a several-hour-long meeting with a buyer's agent today ... our first step in buying a house! I'm a bit overwhelmed.</strong> I want a house, I really do ... but I'm struggling with the reality of how much one will cost. Cindy, H and I were long-distance most of the time we were dating, and I was looking for a job here the entire time. I know how frustrating that is ... but I cannot imagine if I'd had a job back out like yours did! That's awful!
    Posted by MarieSD[/QUOTE]

<div>Don't be overwhelmed! Any good buyer's agent will walk through the process with you, especially if you let them know you are a first time buyer. 
    FI and I just bought our first house over the summer and we love it! The costs do add up (very quickly) but our mortgage is cheaper than renting (when comparing square feet and the area we are in) so in the end, it evens out for us. Plus we have two dogs, so it is only fair to have the backyard for them. Having a garage is wonderful too. I came from living in uptown where parking was sparse. 

Be prepared to search for a good while though and make sure that your buyer's agent does their homework. They should be giving you comparisons for every property that you look at including the past six months of recent salesin the area. Also, make sure you have an agent that is really willing to fight for you when it comes down to negotiation. It is a buyer's market right now and we had a lot of concessions that we had our sellers fix before we moved in (and it reduced our out of pocket costs immensely). We would have never been able to do so had we not had such a great realtor. </div><div>
    </div><div>Such an exciting time though! I know that before we even had a house picked out, I was going through decor blogs like no ones business. Nothing quite like the feeling of walking into your own home :) Good Luck!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards