Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Wanted: A Creative Alternative to Unity Candles

I have seen the unity candles and the unity sand vases.  I really like the sand idea.  It can be very elegant and a good alternative to the traditional candles, but I was just wondering if anyone had any other alternative ideas to unity candles?  Thanks!

See more about my wedding adventures at: thebelieveitornotbride.blogspot.com Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wanted: A Creative Alternative to Unity Candles

• Options
    I've heard of people mixing two different colors of water (because, like the sand, the two can't be separated again once mixed).

And I know it could be extremely messy considering you'll likely be in white, but you could plant a seed together or something.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    we r having an oathing stone, it will have our names and wedding date engraved on it w a heart. we will be holding the rock while saying our vows. they actually have them on etsy. our officiant never heard of this but i love it cuz its diff and  we have a flat rock, so after the wedding im putting it on our bedstand w a plate holder holding it.  my fi says hell nver forget our day becuase of this. ;)
  • Options
    We are doing a unity cross instead of candle or sand. Our wedding is outside in the mountains so candles won't work and sand didn't make sense to us. Here's the link.  http://shopinspiration.com/The-Unity-Cross-792119900301.htm
  • Options
    I've heard of the "God's Knot" where three colored ropes (purple, yellow and white) are on a brass ring.  The groom holds the brass ring and the bride braids the ropes.  The ropes represent the bride, groom and the Church being united in the marriage.  I thought it was unique, and something that can be displayed in the house after the wedding.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  These are some great ideas.
    See more about my wedding adventures at: thebelieveitornotbride.blogspot.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are going to plant a tree and since it is in my parents yard we are actually going to plant it in a pot then when we finally get a house we will plant it outside then
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had the same problem. We are doing a salt covenant which is a tradition dating back to Biblical times. You combine grains of salt to seal your contract and it can only be broken if you remove each one of your original salt grains. We really liked the history (even though we are not religious) and salt is perfect since FI is a chef.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    my FI and I are not religious and our relationship started out by writing letters to one another while Fi was away for a year. During our ceremony a beautiful vintage lock box with a bottle of wine is placed at the front. We each put a letter in the box without letting the other read it, the officiant then tells our guests the letters will be read if we ever reach a point in our marriage that we need reminding of our 'first feelings of love' and hopefully that time will not come in which on our tenth anniversary we will open the box and while reading our letters we share our bottle of wine. we will then replace the letters, add newly written letters and a new bottle of wine that we will open in another ten years.  
  • Options
    Norms Angel, what a great idea! I have been scouring the boards for months trying to find an alternative to the unity candle, and your idea literally gave me goosebumps. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards