Catholic Weddings

Stressed about NFP

I will start taking some NFP classes at my church soon. I have also been doing some reading and research on my own. I am happy to start doing NFP. However I am also a bit stressed about it. Because I don't know if anybody feels this way but the idea of having to do check my temprature, check cervical mucus and record until I hit menopause everyday stresses me out! It's hard for me to see me adding this into my life and doing it for the next 20+ years!
How have you ladies added this to your life? Is it out of habit now? Stressful?
I just feel like it will end up being a burden for me and cause me to be stressed out. Like "I forgot to take my tempurature at the same, I didn't check my cervical mucus..."

Re: Stressed about NFP

• edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_stressed-about-nfp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:b34c30e6-8c06-486d-a29b-0ff1ff715bb6Post:a5a283c3-7910-4ebb-8bf4-27e5b290406d">Re:Stressed about NFP</a>:
    [QUOTE]I currently record my cycle with an app on my phone. I have funny sleep cycles too. But I do take vitamins but not at the same time. I'm just worried that I have to be very precise. Like checking my temp. at the same time or mucus at the same time. Is it that precise is what I'm worried about.
    Posted by afrenchprincess[/QUOTE]

<div>The mucous doesn't have to be checked at the same time every day, and in fact, if you only paid attention to it one time each day, you'd probably be getting pretty inaccurate information.  It becomes a second-nature thing, as PPs have said.  If you pay attention to what you see/feel throughout the day (going to the bathroom, getting dressed, etc.), you should get a good feel for whether or not you're fertile.</div><div>
    </div><div>And keep in mind that mucous, not temperature, is the primary fertility sign. </div><div>
    </div><div>You do have to be precise with the temps.  When I used STM, I did the same thing as PPs -- woke up, took my temp, then went back to sleep.  I bought a thermometer that saves my temp so I don't have to record it right away, but because my temperatures were so crazy, I was happy to switch to Billings.  You might check out boma-usa.org (for Billings) or the CCL website to find an instructor for a different NFP method if you're uncomfortable.</div>
    Anniversary

• Nickie431Nickie431 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2012
    We've been charting for two months, and it's been really easy for me to remember--and for years I struggled to remember some basic maintenance medications!  We use Billings, which as mentioned in PP just requires you to observe some sensations and characteristics of discharge throughout the day.  I, too, use an inexpensive iPhone app.  Whenever I plug my phone in at night as I climb into bed, it's a cue to spend 30 secs. charting.
    "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!" (Isaiah 43:1)
  • I'm happy to hear that I don't have to do both methods at a time. I do believe I will do temperature exclusively. Especially, since I NEVER have observed when I ovulate. Ladies what do you do when you don't observe/notice when you ovulate? I hear women talking about they "know" or can feel themselves ovulate. I don't. I have regular periods. Also this may be TMI but I usually have a lot of discharge daily. So how would I distinguish my daily discharge to knowv when I'm ovulating? I'm concerned about this.
  • You'll learn all about cervical fluids in the class. There are different characteristics of "fertile" fluids and "non-fertile" fluids. It's these characteristics that really determine ovulation, not necessarily volume per se.

I will tell you, I only take my temp for about 15 days a month (now that I know my cycles well enough) and I don't freak out if I miss a day. But I do like the information my temperature gives me. I also don't even know I'm taking it anymore, because I seem to be able to hear the alarm and take my temp without fully waking up. Yesterday I didn't even remember taking it at all and thought I missed a day! But, lo and behold, there was a temp stored in the thermometer. So, I wouldn't rule it out until you've tried it for a bit.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_stressed-about-nfp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:b34c30e6-8c06-486d-a29b-0ff1ff715bb6Post:b2eb764c-47a6-4cb8-8ee7-54fb416e3307">Re:Stressed about NFP</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm happy to hear that I don't have to do both methods at a time.<strong> I do believe I will do temperature exclusively.</strong> Especially, since I NEVER have observed when I ovulate. Ladies what do you do when you don't observe/notice when you ovulate? I hear women talking about they "know" or can feel themselves ovulate. I don't. I have regular periods. Also this may be TMI but I usually have a lot of discharge daily. So how would I distinguish my daily discharge to knowv when I'm ovulating? I'm concerned about this.
    Posted by afrenchprincess[/QUOTE]

You have to pay attention to fluids regardless of the method you use because THAT is the primary fertility sign.

Regarding "knowing," I agree with Riss.  Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to distinguish different types of fluid.  Now, I have what I would consider pretty normal fluid, so I can't really speak to "heavy" discharge, but that's definitely something that could be cleared up for you in a class.  I know it seems like TMI, but going over the different types of CM with my instructor really helped me get the hang of what I was doing.  I think you'll also get over that kind of squeamish feeling once you get used to charting.  I'm not saying I go around like, "Hey, the quality of my cervical mucus is AWESOME today!" but I can at least discuss it with my husband without feeling totally gross.  =)
    Anniversary

• You can't do temp exclusively. That is not a reliable method. cm is the primary fertility sign. When you take class, you learn to distinguish the different kinds.
  • my eggwhite leading up to ovulation is OBVIOUS.  i can just tell my my underwear or when i wipe after bathrooming.  granted, some have more than others, but you may already be noticing some things without even checking. 

TCOYF has some nice photo examples of things you can even check on your underwear. 

as others have said, temp alone is NOT enough.
  • Now I'm really scared! Yikes!! I have to check my CM Undecided Hopefully, I will be able to do this. Thanks for the info ladies!
  • Don't lose hope.  It really does become a very easy thing to check.
    Anniversary

• I don't understand how NFP works. The priest who is preparing us said he would try to find some brochures a few months ago but so far we don't have any. Does anyone have any books on NFP that you can recommend?
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited April 2012
    I read Taking Charge of Your Fertility which is NOT a Church-based book. It is written by a doctor, but she explains the reason why NFP works. The specific method detailed in the book is the symto-thermal method, but you can understand why other methods like Creighton would work based on that book. I highly recommend reading it - it's really informative!
  • Thanks, Riss!
  • sbelle, you can also find information about classes on a few websites:

www.ccli.org (couple to couple league)
    www.boma-usa.org (billings)

And I'm pretty sure the TCOYF site has info about classes, too.  I highly recommend classes.  After reading TCOYF, I found myself kind of lost and really frustrated.  Even though it is a hugely informative, well-written book, the method described is not for everyone.  After taking a few classes on Billings, I am way confident.
    Anniversary

• I suggest taking a class. Creighton method is good in case you have any health issues. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards