Jewish Weddings
Options

New to this board - Question

Hello all!! - I'm Nicole, 24y/o and I have been engaged for almost two years now, FI and I have been together just over 6 years.  We are planning our wedding for June 30, 2013.  The reason it's so "far" out is that I am a law student (i graduate in 2014) and FI graduates a year from now.

In any event, I have a few questions, I was raised in a modern sephardic orthodox community in Venezuela (I am bat-mitzvah'd and went to Hebrew school until I moved to the U.S. at 13, parents are both Jewish, we are i would say semi-observant, we observe traditions but do not keep kosher or shomer shabbat) however, my FI was born of a Jewish mother and Catholic father, I believe they did not have a Jewish wedding.  My FI did not have a brit-milah or bar-mitzvah because his mother was not observant at all. 

From what I've seen online and told by my aunt, the rabbi that we want (sephardic orthodox) may require "paperwork" or conversion, bar-mitzvah, or something else because my FI could be considered illegitimate b/c of the interfaith marriage between his parents.  I was under the understanding that Judaism was matrilineal and he would be Jewish because his mother is.

Does anyone know what a rabbi could require of us to marry us? We are open to being married by a chabad rabbi (they seem to be more open), or even a conservative synagogue if the rabbi we want is not willing to marry us.  I (admittedly) did not think that they would ask for "papers" - I'm not even sure what that means.  I apologize for the length, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: New to this board - Question

• Options

My honest opinion, you need to have a discussion with the rabbi. Although his mother is Jewish, he would be considered Jewish.

• Options

I spoke with a number of different rabbis, and it seems many make their own decisions as to what is ok.  I would recommend reaching out to a couple of rabbis in your community and asking them what they require.

• Options
    You'll have to ask the rabbi what he will require. I'm unfamiliar with these papers you may need, but I was raised Reform, so very different from Sephardic Orthodox.
  • Options
    We are planning to meet with him over the next few weeks.  Thank you so much for your input!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I was married by a Conservative rabbi and all he required was that my husband's mother was Jewish. My husband did not have a Bar Mitzvah and his father was not Jewish, but the Jewish mother was enough for us!
  • Options
    My father is not Jewish but my mother is and we are having an Orthodox Jewish wedding. No conversion was necessary, but I did have to prove that my mom is indeed Jewish before we would be allowed to marry.
  • Options
    I spoke with the rabbi a few days ago, and all he is requiring is a letter from FI mom's rabbi certifying that FI is jewish through the mother.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards