Maine
Options

Kennebunkport

We have booked our minimoon and will be staying for a couple of nights on the water in Kennebunkport.  Yay!  I've been before, but FI has not, and it's been a while since my last trip so I wanted to get suggestions for things to do in the area.  I know a couple of you ladies are getting married there, and others live there/grew up there.  We are already planning on dinner at the White Barn Inn but that's about all we have scheduled.  We want to relax, but I'm sure we will also be looking for things to do.  Any suggestions?

Married 9.4.11

Re: Kennebunkport

• Options
    edited December 2011
    mabels for lobstah rolls.  since you're alreay a new englander this is probably less exciting to you.  but seriously.  amazing lobster rolls.
  • Options
    littlefieldmjlittlefieldmj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not far from Kennebunkport is the town of Arundel, and in it houses a great bar for people watching: Bentley's Saloon (clicky).  It's technically a biker bar, but it's not a rough place - more like the place to go for empty-nesters after they buy a touring Honda.  Wednesday night is Open Mic & 25 cent wings (so good!), Thursday is Karaoke, and they host bands on the weekends.  Never a cover charge. 

Federal Jacks (clicky) is a great place for a beer & a nice view of the water.  The food is good and the beer is local.  I've heard their Sunday brunch is really good, but I haven't been down to try it yet. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitly recomend federal jacks. I know they do whale watches in kport. You can of course check out the bush compound...haha. There are also a few playhouses/theaters in the area that should be up and running for the season. If you like to wander/walk, check out the montasary in kport, beautiful grounds. There is also the rachel carson wildlife preserve in wells is also really nice.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    jelenybeanyjelenybeany member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    whenever i go down to kennebunkport i spend hours just walking around shopping and looking around. i think the wedding cake house is near the bush compound as well if you're into looking at houses.
  • Options
    littlefieldmjlittlefieldmj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, shandorfml2 is right - there are a lot of good playhouses in the area.  The Ogunquit Playhouse (clicky) is a beautiful building and puts on really wonderful shows.  I saw Charles Shaughnessy (from The Nanny, haha) in Monty Python and the Holy Grail last year.  When you'll be there, they're showing "Legally Blonde, the musical" and Sally Struthers will be performing.  Ha!  :) 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OMG I love Legally Blonde!  lol.  Thanks for the ideas ladies!!
    Married 9.4.11
  • Options
    kbunkweddingkbunkwedding member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I grew up there. So here's what I suggest....

Near the Bush compound near an anchor they put up for him is a landmark called Blowing Cave. It's an underwater cave and is awesome at high tide. It literally blows and makes a big noise with lots of spray. So beautiful.

For drinks/apps I think you'll do better at the Landing or Arundel Wharf over Federal Jacks. Just my two cents.

If you like seafood try the Clam Shack or on Friday, Pilot House has $9.99 fish fry that is so amazing. 

And of course - THE BEACH!!! :-)

Enjoy your trip. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    kbunkwedding, did you go to KHS, and if you did what year did you graduate?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    TammieMarieTammieMarie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Another suggestion would be a schooner/sailboat  trip out of the harbor - very relaxing and fun.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards