Catholic Weddings
Options

NFP

I got the basics of the Creighton method at our Engagement Encounter.  The nurse who taught the class offers one-on-on counseling on unique needs.  Others I know just followed a book and started charting.  Any advice/preference on methods or if I would need special counseling.

Re: NFP

• Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'd recommend reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It is highly recommended on these boards and I used the book to learn how to chart. I also lurk on the Getting Pregnant board on the Nest because there are some charting experts on there. Many of them use the website fertility friend to actually track the data. I have been charting for 5 months now and haven't had any trouble. Good luck!
  • Options
    PressMePressMe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A success story!  Thanks, Riss.  Everyone I know that used NFP abandoned it.  I was losing hope.
  • Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    edited December 2011
    Really, that's a shame. I find it to be very simple. There are tons of ladies that are charting on the Nest, and typically when someone is having trouble getting pregnant, they're encouraged to start charting so they can understand what their body is doing.

Also - many of my friends were having problems with the side effects of BCPs and have been able to do away with them by charting. So, I guess I'm a fan of it Laughing
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have an application on my cell phone called My Days. I am guessing it might be similar to the website you mentioned called fertility friend. I've been using it for about 5 months now and it is very accurate at knowing when I'll be expecting my next period- it has predicted the exact day the last 3 months. It also gives your 6 days of highest fertility, with an emphasis on the day you ovulate.

We don't plan on getting pregnant for a few years, but this method has been working to avoid getting pregnant. I don't know much about charting, but I assume this is fairly similar. I can't take bcp for medical reasons but I also think knowing your cycle is a very enlightening thing.

Good luck!
  • Options
    caitriona87caitriona87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been using STM/CCL for nine months and had no problems at all. They also have software that interprets all the signs for you and it really couldn't be easier. There might be something similar for the Creighton method but I'm not sure.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies for bringing this post up! My fiance and I have been discussing it, but both agree we need to learn/educate ourselves a little more on it before we start it. I am a little skeptical b/c I don't want a bunch of kids nor do I want kids for at least a year or two after we are married. I know there are a few different methods that you can use, but the one they specifically mentioned on our Engaged Encounter weekend was the charting where you pay attention to your bodily fluids down there. I will definitely have to check out that book. Thanks again!
  • Options
    bel138bel138 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nfp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:9acec0b6-69ea-41fb-bf33-7c5e916b522aPost:cb3258bd-c01c-4688-bf98-f366be8acbb1">Re: NFP</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have an application on my cell phone called My Days. I am guessing it might be similar to the website you mentioned called fertility friend. I've been using it for about 5 months now and it is very accurate at knowing when I'll be expecting my next period- it has predicted the exact day the last 3 months. It also gives your 6 days of highest fertility, with an emphasis on the day you ovulate.
    Posted by rlb81[/QUOTE]

Are you taking your temps? Checking your cervical mucus? Why is predicting when you will get your period? Something about this makes it sound like the rhythm method.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're taking the CCL class - it's required for the Archdiocese of NY. My academic research focuses on NFP, so I'm well acquainted with all of the methods, but FI needed some help. We are using the Sympto-Thermal Method. I suggest reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility and possibly taking a CCL class. GL! Stick with it- it really is profoundly empowering and really simple once you get the hang of it. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Clare13Clare13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are also taking a CCL class right now as part of our marriage prep.  I strongly encourage you and your FI to take the class.  It has opened up some great conversations.  Although much of the information is review, the structure of the class and having my FI understand it with me has given me even more confidence in the method.  Good luck. 
  • Options
    meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, in addition to my first post and what Clare said, it's been really helpful to FI to hear from the husband in our CCL teaching couple. When we first starting talking about NFP, he wasn't really sure how involved he could/should get, but hearing from the teaching husband and how he gets involved has made FI more comfortable asking about my signs and charting with me. 

ETA: I noticed that you're in the DC Area. The Tepeyac Family Center in NOVA is an absolutely amazing pro-life, pro-NFP OB/GYN practice. They have a ton of great NFP resources and provide full OB/GYN services as well. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Methods:Sympto-thermal: observe muccus, cervix position with internal observation, and temp

Billings: observe muccus

Creighton: derived from billings, but more medical research, and standardized teaching, with teacher checkup

Marquette: mostly like Creighton with a fertility monitor (pee on a stick every night)

Observing mucous can be tricky at first…but when that is all one has to go on, one learns to be extremely astute in observations. I had health issues that made learning difficult at first, but once I learned the different types, I was set. Creighton is attached to Napro technology…Mucous observations can give lots of warnings about different potential health issues. I take my charts to my doc and he can see my probs. Creighton is adamant about the need for scientific observation. ALWAYS…all the time….EVERY time. No exceptions.

Sympto- is good for those who want to cross check different indicators. I know of some sympto users (and have read in the book about this too) who lax on observing a particular indicator at some portions of the cycle. This scientifically, can no longer be a reliable indicator then. If one knows their cycle and when to use the temp, it may work, but it is no longer a scientific observation. In order to use the temp indicator accurately, the woman must have regular sleep and take the temp at the same time every day. The temp indicator can also have variables from illness. Some women are uncomfortable with internal observations.

If one method doesn't work well, try a different one.

The main sign of fertility is mucous. Everything else is a secondary sign. After doing Creighton for my health for 8 years, I firmly believe that all women should be monitoring her own health this way. Charting has actually helped my doctor diagnose several problems that would not have been found otherwise. One of them could have been a cancer issue. These problems were healed, not covered up. This is a God-given part of our bodies that is not gross, but is helpful for us to know. It becomes part of a basic hygene routine.

Regarding effectiveness, all the above methods have 97-99% effectiveness rate. The statitics given for artificial birth control cannot possibly be accurate because of this reason: it doesn't take into account that a woman can't get pregnant 2/3 - ¾ of the month. People tend to think that a condom blocks 98-99% of the time, well, the truth is that ¾ of that time, it wasn't possible to get pregnant anyway, so its getting credit for doing a job it really didn't do.

Check out www.omsoul.com

• Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One more thing:

I highly recommend using a teacher, no matter what method. (Creighton cannot be done without a teacher- because of its standardized teaching).

Not to say it can't be done very effectively from self-learning. There is much wisdom to learn from an experienced teacher, especially if there are health issues that might cause confusion.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nfp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:9acec0b6-69ea-41fb-bf33-7c5e916b522aPost:c1410afe-b645-43c4-a8b3-b6b79cb9db54">Re: NFP</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NFP : Are you taking your temps? Checking your cervical mucus? Why is predicting when you will get your period? Something about this makes it sound like the rhythm method.
    Posted by bel138[/QUOTE]
    No, was just sharing some information about the method I've been using. I know that it isn't necessarily medically accurate. It predicts ovulation and start of period, so that we can avoid having sex while I'm ovulating. And I'm not actively checking mucus but I always know when it's there.
  • Options
    bel138bel138 member
    edited December 2011
    If you guys aren't concerned with the efficacy and are open to children right now, then I guess that works for you.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I've been using the STM/CCL method for 40+ cycles now, TTA.  I really love it -- I know what my body is doing, and I'm not pumping my body full of artificial hormones.  I definitely recommend taking a course and having a relationship with a teacher so that you can ask questions about your chart.  Also, start charting now so that you can have at least a couple charts recorded before you get married.

I chart on paper, with the CCL charts.  I personally wouldn't rely on Fertility Friend to interpret my charts if TTA (since I've seen some Fertility Friend glitches when entering my data from paper charts), but I know there are a handful of women on the Nest who do.  There's also a computer program through the Couple to Couple League, I think, and one from the author of Taking Charge of Your Fertility.

If you are in DC, as a PP said, the Tepeyac Family Center in Fairfax is an NFP-only practice that offers a lot of resources and can refer you to local teachers, etc.  They seem really great.

• Options
    PressMePressMe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for all of your feedback and referrals. I had been told that I should practice NFP, but no one ever explained the differences between the methods.  You all are a wonderful source of information.
  • Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nfp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:9acec0b6-69ea-41fb-bf33-7c5e916b522aPost:263176a8-e74d-4bb6-9d95-a3fd48285fb3">Re: NFP</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been using the STM/CCL method for 40+ cycles now, TTA.  I really love it -- I know what my body is doing, and I'm not pumping my body full of artificial hormones.  I definitely recommend taking a course and having a relationship with a teacher so that you can ask questions about your chart.  Also, start charting now so that you can have at least a couple charts recorded before you get married. I chart on paper, with the CCL charts.  <strong>I personally wouldn't rely on Fertility Friend to interpret my charts if TTA (since I've seen some Fertility Friend glitches when entering my data from paper charts),</strong> but I know there are a handful of women on the Nest who do.  There's also a computer program through the Couple to Couple League, I think, and one from the author of Taking Charge of Your Fertility. If you are in DC, as a PP said, the Tepeyac Family Center in Fairfax is an NFP-only practice that offers a lot of resources and can refer you to local teachers, etc.  They seem really great.
    Posted by GulfCoaster[/QUOTE]

Though I use FF, I would agree that you should always review their calculations and make your own assessments. I mainly use it to store the data and create the chart - I definitely wouldn't trust it 100% over my own judgment. I do think it's useful as a tool to store information.
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i self-taught myself the Fertility Awareness Method which is explained int he book that others have recommended, Taking Charge of your Fertility.

Its ridiculously easy.  I wish i had started it years ago.

I have been off of the Pill now for just over 10 months.  Based on some issues i'm having, i do have some concerns that the Pill may have messed me up, hopefully not permanently.  only time will tell.  i wish i had never started it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards