Iowa-Des Moines

outdoor wedding in ames area

Hi! I'm newly engaged and tying to plan a fall 2011 wedding. We would love to do something outdoors in August or September, but I'm having trouble finding a place that is affordable. I've looked at Jester Park but all the fees they charge pile up quickly, and most of the wineries in the area seem to have a starting price of $2500-$3000, which isn't very doable on our shoestring budget. If anyone has any ideas I'd be very glad to hear them. We're willing to go as far South as Des Moines, but since most of our guests and wedding party is coming from either 4 hrs south or 4 hrs from the north I would like to stay as close to Ames as possible. Thanks for any help! --a stressed bride-to-be
image 31 Total invites!
image 21 Are ready for a good time! image 7 Are sorry to miss the fun! image 3 Are making me crazy!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: outdoor wedding in ames area

• edited December 2011
    Don't get stressed yet! You are supposed to still be super excited!
    Have you looked at Reiman Gardens in Ames.
    How about the Iowa Arboretum near Boone
    I don't know prices for either of them but those are a couple more options
  • edited December 2011
    I've looked at Reiman Gardens, but I'd really like something more rustic and wooded as opposed to garden. They are fairly reasonable. I hadn't thought about the place near boone. I kind of forget that's over there. Thanks for your suggestions, that will give me something else to look into!
    image 31 Total invites!
    image 21 Are ready for a good time! image 7 Are sorry to miss the fun! image 3 Are making me crazy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I just looked up the Iowa Arboretum. I love it. Thank you for the wonderful idea. The price is about $1400 for both the wedding and the reception and that is for indoors or outside, so if it should happen to rain, we have a back-up plan! There are no catering restrictions like Jester Park has and tables and chairs are included in the set-up fee. I can't thank you enough! I'm dying to pick a place so we can set a date. We decided we should see what places were available and when before we set our date. I would hate to pick a day and have none of the venues I like available to rent. That is part of my reasoning for wanting to find something soon. When places book a year in advance, I don't want to wait too long and miss out. Thanks again, and I welcome any more ideas people have. We're still throwing ideas around.
    image 31 Total invites!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am happy I could help you!
    If you have any more questions we are pretty helpful so let us know!
  • edited December 2011

I was just going to suggest the Iowa Arboretum...just know that alcohol isn't permitted, so if you were planning on having any booze, you will have to scratch that idea. Not a deal breaker but just wanted to make sure I pointed it out. GL!

Also, we had our reception at Seven Oaks just outside of Boone, it was $565 back when we booked it. They have an option for an outdoor ceremony area as well. Carol was amazing to work with there and everything turned out great.

• edited December 2011
    We are planning a July 2011 wedding and are planning on having our ceremony at Moore Memorial Park in Ames. The shelter holds about 250 people and is only 12 dollars an hour! You could have your reception there as well, but we are planning on having ours at Gates Hall in Nevada.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • smileymetsmileymet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Its probably a bit late but we are having ours at Indian Creek Country Club in Nevada and I'm really excited about it.  The ceremony will be outside and the reception will be in the clubhouse.  The ceremony was I think $150 and the reception is like $750?  You have to use their cater but from what I hear the food is amazing...guess I'll find out soon since the wedding is in a month and 1/2.  :o)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards