Retro and Vintage Weddings

Music list for reception?

Anybody have a good retro/vintage inspired music list for their reception that they'd be willing to share? I wanted to give some to our DJ but i'm having trouble thinking of them - and i know this was posted about a few months ago but i couldnt find the post...

House Renovations
Married Bio

I am a gluten-free, gun-toting wife! :P

I love you, Daddy...2/24/1953 to 2/13/2011image

Re: Music list for reception?

• Is there a particular era you're interested in?

If vintage swing music interests you, you should go to:

That's the website for a California radio station, and every Saturday and Sunday morning, from 6-9 a.m., an elderly DJ named Chuck Cecil plays music from the 1930s-1950s.  (He's been hosting this same kind of show ever since the mid 1950s, and he knows EVERYTHING about this era of music.)  Anyway, on the website, you can access a list of all the songs he's played on a particular day, along with the name of the person or group who performed each song.  Needless to say, it's a great resource!  Also, you can listen to his show on your computer every weekend, even if you're not in California. (To find playlists for Chuck Cecil, hover over the PROGRAMMING button on the page's top bar.  A list of choices will appear; click on PLAYLISTS.  Then, on the page that comes up, choose PLAYLIST BY HOST and type CHUCK CECIL into the empty search box that's to the left of it.  Then, of course, hit the SEARCH button.)

Also:
    -- At (discount chain) Tuesday Morning, right now they're selling a lot of vintage music collections for $6-$8 each.  I just bought 4: "Toast to Big Bands," "Just Swing," and 4 CD collections by both Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller.  Maybe buying or looking at what they have to offer would help you.

-- Don't forget that old Broadway musicals used to include a lot of really terrific love songs that went on to become popular tunes.  I made a list of just a few of the many Broadway songs that could be featured at weddings at:

-- Also, is there an old movie star you admire?  Again, many stars, in the past, used to do a bit of singing, too.  Maybe you'd want to include a song by one of your favs.  I made a short list of some of the actors that I could think of, at:
    (they're in a little pink box, on the right)

I'll try to remember to check back and see if you've posted here again.  If, for example, you're interested in the '20s, I have a few CDs I could scramble through and try to find songs that might work for you.

Until then...

• NukkeNukke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I don't have too many listed in my bio yet, but here are some of the clickable ones:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQcjTP9RTiY" target="_blank">Garter Removal -- Tommy James, Hanky Panky www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0qq6AI7CiE" target="_blank">Dance -- The Beatles, Twist and Shout www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g-1NRN8srY" target="_blank">Dance -- The Contours, Do You Love Me? www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjzSIGt74T0" target="_blank">Dance -- The Foundations, Build Me Up Buttercup

I have another website for guests and have a music section where they can suggest songs they want to hear at the reception.  My aunties have completely taken over this page--it's almost like a competition between these four ladies to see who can suggest the most or something.  Anyway, here are some other songs suggested to me by my lovely retro/vintage aunties ;)  (there is a LOT of motown in here, be warned--all four of them grew up across from detroit, but one auntie is a lot younger and is more into disco...  so.. yeah, these aren't "eeva approved" but they're a start!)  :

"You Send Me"
    Sam Cooke

Oh What a Night
    Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons

Here I Am, Yes it's Me
    Lyle Lovet

High-Heeled Sneakers
    Tommy Tucker

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me
    Mel Carter

Ooo Ooo Baby
    Smokey Robinson

Let It Rain
    The Temptations

I Just Want to Celebrate
    Rare Earth

Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours
    Stevie Wonder

The Boy I'm Gonna Marry
    Darlene Love

Man in The Mirror
    Michael Jackson

You Really Turn Me On
    Michael Jackson

Let's Get It On
    Marvin Gaye

For Once in My Life
    Stevie Wonder

I was Made to Love Her
    Stevie Wonder

Fernando
    Abba

Dancing Queen
    Abba

Oh How Happy
    The Shades of Blue

Roll Out the Barrel
    (many versions out there, just choose one)

I Believe in Miracles
    Hot Chocolate

If You Don't Want My Love
    Four Tops

My Girl
    Temptations

I'm in a Different World
    Four Tops

Cruisin
    Smokey Robinson

Super Bad
    James Brown

Billy Jean
    Michael Jackson

Lady Soul
    The Temptations
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Another way to zero in on songs is to go to Amazon and then "search" for, say, Sinatra.  Then click on one of the albums that appears on the list of results.  The song tracks will also be listed, and you can listen to a small sampling of whatever song you might be interested in.  

• thanks ladies :)

House Renovations
    Married Bio

I am a gluten-free, gun-toting wife! :P

I love you, Daddy...2/24/1953 to 2/13/2011image
  • I've been checking out these boards since I'm considering a retro/1940's themed wedding and I have to say you guys have some really neat ideas. The music I feel like can really set the tone for the whole wedding and thats so important.

And Nukke, I just really love that music list you have on your planning bio. I hate to say it but I bookmarked it because I'd love to use a lot of those songs. I jsut love that music from UP just listening to it made me tear up (happy being in love type tears tho :)

Anyways thanks ladies just reading your posts has been really enjoyable and given me tons of ideas!
  • We used exclusively 40's/50's music (lots of Frank, Dean, etc.) If anyone would like a listing of the songs (or even a specific MP3) feel free to message me!
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • NukkeNukke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    rebeccaruth--I'm really happy you like it so much!  I'm working on music this month, so I'm going to continue to tweak it and add to it as we make up our minds on songs.  I made that music list out of the knot's registry page, actually.  You can add the links to "stores" online, so I just made the store names the song names and the store urls the youtube video urls.  I wanted to make them clickable so other brides could easily listen to them and decide if they want to use them too!  I love reading others music lists, but I'm impatient, and hate searching for the songs myself. 
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards