California-Los Angeles
Options

Moving My Date Up

I am still a July bride BUT my BFF 30th birthday is July 28 and we had July 30 as a date, however, I am thinking about bringing it up a week.

Here is what I originally planned

July 2 - NO because of the holiday weekend
July 9 - My aunts birthday
Ju;y 16 - My cousins birthday (who had a FIT when her nephew wanted to get married on that day because it was the closest Saturday to his dating anniversary)
July 23 - The date my cousin chose BEFORE they decided to push it back
July 30 - PERFECT until I realized the date I chose.

I know that you cant always make people happy but I am considering bumping the wedding up a week to July 23 so it will not fall on the weekend of my BFF birthday (in case her FI has something up his sleeve).

What do you think?

Would moving it up a week be a bad thing or is it something that seems to be fair?

She said she has no plans BUT I really feel like moving it up a week would be the best thing to do. My cousin is NOT getting married on that date anymore so it is a free date.

Thoughts ladies???

AAW June 2011 Siggy Challenge : "Daddy and Me"

Photobucket

Wedding Planning Blog (Updated 10/18/10)

Re: Moving My Date Up

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, I wouldn't get caught up in arranging it around people's birthdays or minor things like that. It will drive you crazy, and you have to do what's best for you.  If there is another wedding planned, then I think that's a valid reason to avoid a day (so people don't have to choose!), or to avoid a holiday weekend.

But birthdays are just not THAT big a deal...especially for adults. She can still celebrate her birthday on the actual day. And maybe she would enjoy having your wedding on the weekend after her bday, because it's a reason to party and hang with friends and have a fun time, even if that time is not FOR her birthday. Does that make sense?

I have been to weddings the week of my birthday, the DAY of our anniversary, etc, and I would never have imagined or expected the bride or groom to plan around it.  We just went and had a good time, and celebrated our anniversary the next night. No big deal.

And actually, for our wedding this past July, my cousin's birthday was the day before- the night of the rehearsal/ rehearsal dinner. Her son was our ring bearer, so they attended- and they had flown out from NJ that day. I'm sure flying all day and going to a rehearsal dinner wasn't her first choice on her birthday, but she is a mom, in her 30's, and she put other things ahead of that. I couldn't change the day just for her bday. So we actually got her a little birthday cake and sang to her to recognize her day, which she thought was nice.

But with all that said, if you really prefer the new date, then go for it. But do it for YOU, not to avoid something like a birthday, because who knows what else will come up.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp.  You shouldn't be worried about pleasing anyone else except yourself.  It's *your* wedding.  The only time I would make an exception is if there is another wedding on that day.  If you try to make everyone happy, you will never find a date at all!  
  • Options
    Vans18Vans18 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also agree with both PP...I think you are thinking about it too much. Pick the day you want and don't worry about other bdays or celebrations and like PP said, adults dont care too much about their bdays. Besides everyone always has things that come up, they just have to choose. Don't stress over it :) Bday's are just bday's I wouldnt mind going to a wedding on my bday weekend. It's actually exciting! HTH GL
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, I'd love to attend a friend's wedding on my birthday weekend. And this is from someone who usually goes out to celebrate. I mean, weddings trump birthdays, hands down.

Edit: The following people have birthdays within a week of my wedding: 3 friends, my aunt, my Dad's GF and my FMIL. No one has said a peep.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And... I agree with everyone!  Set the date that make you happy.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards