Maryland-Baltimore
Options

Reception Site for 150 seated guests in March 2011

March is the big month for me and my fiancee!  We've looked at a few lists in magazines and online, but haven't found a reception site we like yet.  We will get married in a church in Towson and would like somewhere in the area (with 25 minute drive) for approximately 150 seated guests.  Since it will be March, we'd like something that is indoors and doesn't split the guests in to several small rooms.  We anticipate a buffet style meal and would like to find somewhere a bit snazzier than just a basement hall or cinderblock firestation hall that costs between $800 to $2000.  We want to spend less than a total of $9,000 total for the reception site and food and to have beer/wine available.  A classy hall would be OK.  We looked at the 1840s Ballroom , Goucher College, UMBC and the AVAM but they were not available or were too expensive with the parking and required vendors lists.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Does anybody have any have recent experience at the Cylburn Arboreteum, the Manor at Gundpowder Falls, VFW Post 9083 in Parkville? 

Re: Reception Site for 150 seated guests in March 2011

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you tried Overhills Mansion?  I'm not sure how much their food runs.

You bring your own caterer at Manor at Gunpowder Falls.  It's basically a big room, part of which is the school's cafeteria, with damask wallpaper and round tables and there's a wooden balcony spanning the length of the room.

If you end up with a venue that lets you bring your own caterer, Dean & Brown is generally reasonably priced and they're great.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't follow through with the location so I'm not sure who their preferred caterers are for pricing, but have you checked out the Castle at Maryvale? Since you're local I'm sure you know of Maryvale Prep in Stevenson but not everyone knows that they're happy to have people hold their receptions on the campus. I think for 4-5 hours they're about $3000 in prime months. 
    Also, it's pricier, but Gramercy Mansion could be really nice in March especially if there's snow on the ground. The max. com. is 150 all of whom fit on the terrace which has pull down clear "walls" (they're not as tacky as they sound) with heaters and lots of provided ferns/greens so it's still pretty in the winter. The french doors off the terrace open up into the dance "hall", dining room for buffet, bar, etc. so you basically rent out the entire mansion for the reception. I think for off months like March it's just $2000-$2500 for 4 hours and the vibe I get is a lot like Tavern on the Green in NYC. 
    Just a couple ideas--hope they help!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you checked out Frederick Douglass-Isaac Myers Maritime Muesum and Park?  It's run by the Living Classroom Foundation, and is right on the water in Fells Point.  We looked there for our wedding but it wasn't quite big enough.  It is amazing, and if you liked AVAM this place is right up your alley.  The sugar barn is where guests are seated for dinner (exposed brick and views right on the water- gorgeous!).  Then you cross a glass bridge over to the room nextdoor, which is all windows and hardwood floor for the bar, cake, and dancing.  It really was a cool set up.  Marsha I believe is the contact there.  I forget her last name, but she was really sweet.  You bring in your own vendors... and if you do your own alcohol you can save a TON of money.  Ditto pp that I'v heard great things about Dean and Brown. 

Also check out Swan Harbor Farm in Havre de Grace.  It's right on the water, and so pretty.  In March, you'd probably have to do the reception indoors in the antique farmhouse, but my parents have been to weddings there and they said it was really pretty.  Capacity in the main room of the farmhouse is 125, but they can accommodate 70 extra people spread throughout other rooms (by the time your RSVPs come in, you might be able to fit everyone in the main room).  Their site fee is a little over what you listed as your budget, but they might be flexible for an off-season wedding- it never hurts to ask!!!  I know Dean and Brown do a lot of events there... a former knottie had her wedding at SHF and she used Dean and Brown for catering, and provided her own alcohol. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Miss ... Mrs.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also check out Fiore Winery in Pylesville.  I think their maximum capacity is 150 or 180 with guests seated in one room and dancing in the other.  The rooms are attached by a pretty wide doorway.  One is all wooden and it has a gorgeous view of the vineyard.  Dean and Brown has also catered there.
  • Options
    lauren1919lauren1919 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    a place to look into, sounds unusual but is really nice, is Oak Crest in Parkville. it has a hall that can hold 150 easily. i am having my reception there in November and my FSIL got married there last year. she had 210 guests and her bill was only $9000 with a bar!
    they have their own caterers. they dont have a website (strange). i got all the info emailed to me. I would be glad to send it to you or you can contact them 410-882-3257
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MagicalluvMagicalluv member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out long green gardens in glen arm, this is about 15 mins away from Towson and in your budget I think it was about $1200. Our planner showed this to us before when I guest list was 150, the place was nice and was very willing to work with us...they are not pushy on the vendor list. Our planner is good and listened to our budget, you may want to reach out to her ...Kay@ Prestigious Occasions she is very sweet! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your help. We'll probably go with Overhills!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards