Flowers
Options

Are Tulips that Bad?

I keep hearing that tulips are not good for bouquets because they wilt.  Do they really get that droopy?  I see so many cute pics of all tulip bouquets and that is definetly what I have pictured in my mind....I really just need them for the ceremony and pictures.  Any thoughts?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Are Tulips that Bad?

• Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DH got me tulips and roses for Valentine's Day this year and I needed to use the roses to prop up the tulips.  Even in water, they fall over.

Talk to a florist.  Mine despised bridal magazines because they tend to show a lot of flowers that should never go in a bouquet.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If it's only tulips then your florist will need something to support them or you can use them along with other flowers.  It's not necessarily that they wilt, their stem is just not strong.  I had tulips in my bouquet, along with other flowers, for my outdoor wedding in about 90 humid weather and they didn't wilt.  If you really want only tulips, consult with your florist and see what they can do.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I tried to have a tulip centerpiece.  Thank goodness I did a mock up.  I wasn't happy with how they looked at all and nixed them.
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_tulips-bad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:0a4588c0-9a0e-4ac3-80c1-3505626c7c2dPost:3a07c474-ddc2-406e-81ae-7ebac5ca46f0">Re: Are Tulips that Bad?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If it's only tulips then your florist will need something to support them or you can use them along with other flowers.  It's not necessarily that they wilt, their stem is just not strong.  I had tulips in my bouquet, along with other flowers, for my outdoor wedding in about 90 humid weather and they didn't wilt.  If you really want only tulips, consult with your florist and see what they can do.
    Posted by jagore08[/QUOTE]

Ditto.  I will have a couple of tulips in my bouquet, so I don't anticipate a problem. 

I don't think I'd go for a tulip-only bouquet though.  When I have tulips in the house, I have to make sure they're in a tight, short vase to keep them looking their best.
  • Options
    KatieD212KatieD212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok, thanks girls.  I was pretty dead set on Tulips only, but maybe they would look good with calla lillies?  I like the look of a single flower.
  • Options
    deb84deb84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Could tulips be "wired" like roses so that they don't fall?  I know roses are often wired to keep the bloom UP.  Talk to your florist to see if it is possible.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hang on....the real deal is freshness!   Tulips continue to stretch and bend even after they are cut...and once they stretch out they weaken.... you just need to be sure they are really fresh.  If the buds are way longer than the foilage they arent fresh.  If they are still down in the leaves when you buy them they are probably fresh.

Conditioning is everything... Never use warm water or flower food because it makes them stretch out faster....always cool water...keep them in a fridge or a nice cool place.... and dont use a ton of water so they don't drink it too quickly.

Im a florist and i love tulips... its all in the handling!  if you order them by the case they can also be a great deal.....elegant and simple... 

there  re great mixed cases available , I would go with a local floral wholesaler if you can rather than mail order though... for the freshness sake.   

good luck... and no to the wiring and such.... 
  • Options
    KatieD212KatieD212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Midge!  My friend's mom is a former manager of a major florist in my hometown, so she agreed to do my flowers for me.  She told me they are not ideal, but can be done....and they turn out best if done the morning of the wedding.  I dont want to make her rush on them, so I will get her full opinion as well. I just wanted to know what everyone on here thought!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PPs. They are somewhat floppy. However, if you have your heart set on tulips, there are ways to combat that problem. If the florist does a tight, round bouquet for you, they should be ok. As well, they can use wire and tape to wrap around them to make them sturdier. That being said, they do not like to be out of water that long. I would stick to using them centerpieces or maybe your bouquet. Definitely don't use them for boutonnieres or corsages. HTH!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards