Rhode Island

Cake vs. Cupcakes

I was just wondering what you all thought of having a larger wedding cake versus having cupcakes (but still having a small cutting cake). Pros? Cons?
The cake is not something terribly important to us but we still wanted some type of cake as opposed to doing other desserts entirely.

Just looking for some inspiration  :)

Re: Cake vs. Cupcakes

• we are doing cupcakes so i can't really relate :( i love cupcakes though and our package at the venue also gives us a dessert table with other yummies on it...
    we are going to have a small cake to cut (for pics) and since our priest and 1 BM has a birthday that week of the wedding -we are also having a cake for them at the RD
  • I think it's a really personal decision. For us, we liked the idea of freezing the top layer of our cake to have when we celebrate our 1 year anniversary. I think a cake is definitely more traditional. You probably have more unique design opportunities with a cake (since there's more square footage to work with) than with cupcakes. But cupcakes are cute and fun... Maybe look through the knot at photos of both cupcakes and cakes and see if anything speaks to you?
    We're selling some things left from our wedding! http://weddinggoodsforsale.weebly.com/ Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • I agree, it is a matter of personal preference. I did find cupcakes to be bit more affordable and because we were having a less formal wedding, it worked well for us. We also had a dessert bar. Guests were able to pack the mini desserts in mini take out boxes too. I went to another wedding, where the bride had a candy buffet and cupcake tower which I thought was a nice treat for guests. 
  • we are doing cupcake strawberry shortcakes for our guests, and then have a small strawberry shortcake cake for the 2 of us.  it feeds 20, but we are bringing the entire thing back to the room and eating it after the wedding.  you better believe i love some strawberry shortcake!

our wedding is more relaxed, so the flavor and cupcakes totally fits with us.  but i just saw pictures of a friends wedding that was formal with cupcakes, and it was amazing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards