Retro and Vintage Weddings
Options

Dress change for the reception?

So ive been watching some of the wedding shows on oxygen, i know cliche :) but i love it.
anyway some girls are opting for a 2nd more casual but still pretty and fun dress to change into for the reception.
its making me consider doing the same...is anyone else considering getting a 2nd dress to wear for the reception/after party?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Dress change for the reception?

• Options
    NukkeNukke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    No way Jose!  First, it's an unnecessary expense, and second, I'm completely in love with my dress and I paid good money for it.  I'm wearing it as long as I can!
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    Yeah, same as Nukke.  I'm going to end up spending a lot of money on 1 dress and I'm gonna wear that thing til it's ALL over!
  • Options
    Ditto. As much as my dress cost, I am wearing it until I go to bed...lol. I wasn't about to pay more money for another dress either. Sometimes some of the latest things are just another way for the wedding industry to make $$$, so you have to be aware of that.
  • Options
    I have THOUGHT about doing that, but when you spend a lot of money on a wedding dress, which you ony wear once, I think you should wear it as long as possible!  However, If you bought a dress that is HUGE and possibly wil be super uncomfortable to dance in, I could see where a reception dress might be an option for someone
  • Options
    No second dress for me,I plan on wearing mine all day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

You said it girls! One dress for me but I wanted to play up the reception fun factor too so I am switching my feminine, oh so traditional sash for one that screams Hollywood glam :) .....both unique but both very me (its my personal touch to my look for the big day!!!!) I got them at www.abellie.com, much more inexpensive route than a new dress!

• Options
    NukkeNukke member
    [QUOTE]Sometimes some of the latest things are just another way for the wedding industry to make $$$, so you have to be aware of that.
    Posted by MissySue20[/QUOTE]

Oh yes!  Don't get me started!  Ok you already did... here goes.  There is a huge list of wedding "must haves" that are complete wastes of money, and I doubt the guests would even notice if they weren't there.  The things we brides are convinced will make our weddings "special" and "unique" are almost always just fluff.  Bathroom baskets, uplighting, personalized <em>anything</em> (floor decals.. really??), welcome bags, cocktail napkins. etc.  And depending on who you're buying from, the vendor/magazine article will try to convince you that this or that is the true "centrepiece" of your wedding and should reflect your personal style, blah blah.  Like the cake.  Or the bouquet.   No, sorry, it's just a cake, and it's just a bunch of flowers.  Hubby and I are the centrepieces of our wedding, and we reflect our personal style.  Not to mention, none of us are unique little snowflakes.  In the end, no matter how much glitter you throw on your wedding, it will--ulitmately--be just like everyone elses.  And that is ok.  It's about the love between you and your hubby, not your love of comic books or whatever theme you portrayed in your wedding.

It's one thing to purchase flowers that you like, and it's quite another to purchase flowers you like that have to be flown in from Brazil because you're great grandfather is from Brazil and you're going to have swarovsky crystals spilling out of the bouquet because your dress has crystals and so does the cake topper for the especially-made cake for your ring-bearer pooch.  (breath)

Spend your money where it counts.  For me, that was the dress and the photographer (I want FI and I to look good, and I want a record of our fantastic day, because I know it goes by so quickly).  I also am spending a lot of time and energy on the food and music, because that is the most important thing for my guests. 

/soapbox

can anyone tell I'm bored at work?
    Our Wedding Website
  • Options
    Nukke - I agree with you on a lot of points there :)  I do think it's important to pick a few things that really will matter and spending the time and energy to make those things spectacular, rather than blowing the budget on every little detail! 

and getting back to the 2nd dress issue -- I don't think a second dress is necessary at all.  I wouldn't want one, even if money wasn't an issue.  I love my gown and want to wear it all night!  Althought I do see that it might be a good idea if you have a huge ballgown with a 12 foot train that just wouldn't be practical for dancing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    Oh my goodness ... LOVE that soapbox.  Yes, I totally agree.  I won't go on ... but just give you a hearty "Ditto!"

About the 2nd dress, I'd actually given it consideration b/c I simply cannot make up my mind about what type/look I want to go for.  Then I had a long talk with myself and decided I'll simply wait (wedding is July 2011) until it is time to buy and go with the single option I'm giddy about at that time.  But for now, I'm fantasizing about short, flirty looks, long flowing prints, vintage cocktail styles ... and more!  LOL.
  • Options
    NukkeNukke member
    The other thing I was thinking about with regards to the 2nd dress is, no one is going to be able to get a good look at you in it during the ceremony, and then it will disappear for the reception.  I want people to be able to see my dress, hug me in my dress, dance with me in my dress, etc. 

I can see how, like Robotcake said, if you have a giant poofy dress that could be difficult, but really I don't think it would.  Unless you're in a tight crowded dance hall or something.  I remember attending my cousin's wedding when I was 15, and she wore a big poofy tulle princess gown with a corset top, and my favourite memory was watching this little princes dance down a soultrain line to "lowrider". :D

I was going to say that I'd be sad to take off my wedding dress finally, but... yeah, that isn't true 'cause it won't be me taking it off... bow chicka bow wow!  :P
    Our Wedding Website
  • Options
    ledalialedalia member
    First Comment
    I agree with the ideas on here, especially Nukke's feelings about the wedding industry in general. I think I am going to buy a second dress, not for the reception, because I too want to get as much use out of my gown as possible, but for my going away. I am thinking about changing into it a little bit before we actually leave. We are heading straight to our honeymoon hotel with a long drive so I need to change dresses and would still like something pretty because the going away with lavender toss will still be in the pictures. I also want something I can wear again that will remind me about the wedding day itself. The dress I am considering is in my bio, but will consider anything pretty, ivory, and possibly lacey if you have other ideas.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    You only have ONE DAY in your life to look like a bride.  Just keep your gown on and enjoy it!  

• Options
    Hi girls!! I am going to be the black sheep here and disagree. I got married ten days ago (pics coming soon) and I completely tore, stained and ripped my dress. I also tripped on the bustle and fell on my a** on the dance floor, so hard and cried! I LOVED my dress, LOVED the way it looked, loved that all the ceremony and professional pictures were of my in my dress. However, I spent about 3 hours dancing non-stop and would have loved a shorter or more lightweight dress to change into. Just food for thought!!
  • Options
    NukkeNukke member
    smallsmp--that's good to know!  I guess we should give our dresses a dance test run.  I cannot WAIT to see your pictures, btw!

Honestly, my dress needed a "can I even sit in this thing it's so tight" run.  Dancing should be interesting to say the least.
    Our Wedding Website
  • Options
    I am wearing my gown for most of the reception, but in case I want to change I am getting a second dress. I've been wanting a little black dress for a while so it's not really an "extra expense" to me, because it will end up being my date night dress for when I get a baby free night with the hubby. I don't know if I'll change into it at the reception or not, but I will have it just in case I want to change.
    Visit Gothic.weddings.com
  • Options
    I like my dress too much to take it off and put something else that I spent less on.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm in the same exact same boat with you and am freaking out!
    Just bought a beautiful mermaid dress that actually looks good for my body type, and I LOVE IT.
    My only worry is dancing...... i know it will be different when i try on the final sizing, and practice more in it. but i wanted to do a fun father daughter dance with my dad, and now i'm worried if that's possible in a mermaid dress with a bottom that flairs out a bit?
    will i even be able to move my legs while dancing?!?!?!
    And i love to have a good time and want to help our guests have a good time on the dance floor.
    is a 2nd dress necessary???? HELP!
  • Options
    Have you gone for any of your fittings yet?  I have a very tight mermaid dress and my test was both sitting and taking longer strides in it.  I don't expect to be doing jumping jacks and cartwheels, but it moves enough for what I need from it. 

If--at your second fitting--you feel too stiff, then maybe ask the seamstress to let it out at the thighs a bit, or opt for a second dress if you think that would alter the look too much.   I'm actually having mine taken IN a bit in that area. I figure I'm a good dancer with or without the use of my legs ;)

J/K I'll still be able to move them fine.
    Our Wedding Website
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards